Old December 4, 2017, 01:52 PM   #1
BuckBerry

3 Scopes To Choose From

Guys,
I've narrowed my search down to these 3 options:

Vortex Viper HS-T: 4-16x44 (30mm tube.) =$570

Leupold VX-3i CDS: 4.5-14x50 (1in. tube) =$600

Nikon Monarch 3 Custom XR Turret 4-16x50 (1in. tube) =$550

This will be paired to an X-bolt Hunter 270. Primarily my new whitetail rifle, but possibly one day an elk hunter. Looking for a solid 400+ yard gun. I hunt woods, field edges, fields, everything. I also enjoy the occasional target shooting to try and stay sharp.

Any advice helps.
Thanks
Old December 4, 2017, 02:04 PM   #2
reynolds357

Personal preference of those three, I would take the Leupold. I would greatly prefer Meopta to any on the list. You can not fathom how clear and bright Meoptas newest glass is. I have 2 benchrest Nightforces that in my opinion look crappy beside the mid level Meopta. Regular pricing, the Meoptas are about $200 more than what you listed, but they are not too hard to find on sale.
Old December 4, 2017, 03:00 PM   #3
OzeanJaeger

Those are all good. I usually go with the larger objective lens all things being equal. More light, to me, means bigger bucks during the morning and afternoon "magic half-hour". I like spotting the buck, bringing up my rifle, and finding my sight picture is a lot brighter than my naked eye. Makes a huge difference right at legal shooting time.
Old December 4, 2017, 03:32 PM   #4
rpseraph

I'd go with the 30mm tube (seems to make a big difference) plus I have always enjoyed Vortex products (amazing warranty too)
Old December 4, 2017, 03:40 PM   #5
jmr40

The 30mm tube and 50mm objectives just add costs and weight and add nothing to the ability of the scopes use. There are more negatives than positives, especially on a trim lightweight rifle like yours. You don't need 14X to shoot big game at 700 yards, let alone only 400. If you're shooting small varmints at 400-500 yards yes, deer and elk, no. The only thing a 30mm tube does is give you more adjustment if you're shooting 1000 yards or more.

The quality of the glass is more important than how many X's you have and the size of the objective. The size of the front objective combined with the scopes magnification determine how much light comes through the scope.

Divide the front objective in millimeters by the magnification your scope is set on to determine the size of the beam of light leaving the rear of the scope. It should be around 5mm or 6mm. Any less and the scope will perform poorly in low light. Any more than about 6mm and the human eye cannot use it.

A 40mm objective lets 5mm of light through when set on 8X. A 50mm scope lets 5mm of light through when set on 10X and would be identical in low light. Above 10X and both are sub par. Below 8X and both let more light through than the human eye can use. Going to a 50mm objective gives you an extra 2-3 minutes of usable light only when set on 9X.

I shot a small buck yesterday 25 minutes before sunrise with a 20mm scope on 4X in thick fog and had no trouble seeing him. It is legal to shoot 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset here. I have no trouble seeing and shooting animals within those times with even a 20mm objective. I'd not add the extra cost and weight of a 50mm objective.

You can buy a 3-9X40 scope from a lot of manufacturers for $100 less than any of those and get a lot better scope. My only experience with Meopta is the Zeiss Conquest that was actually made by Meopta. That scope has since been discontinued and was Meopta's cheapest scope. If the others are as good I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

The Leupold VX3i in a 3.5-10X40 $150 cheaper is a good choice

https://swfa.com/leupold-3-5-10x40-v...lescope-9.html

This fixed power 6X would be another good choice

https://swfa.com/leupold-6x42-fx-3-riflescope-5.html

Winston Churchill
Old December 4, 2017, 09:30 PM   #6
pete2

The Leupold is only 50.00 more, no brainer.
Old December 5, 2017, 11:29 AM   #7
OzeanJaeger

I agree with 90% of that jmr40 (especially about higher magnification), but at O'dark30 when I can just make out that it's a big buck, I have never thought to myself, "It's still dark outside, but this scope is too bright for me to use". I think your formula probably works perfectly with the light entering the scope as a constant, but it isn't constant. More light than the human eye can use when it's still pretty dark? You know, I have hunted on overcast mornings when it was dark, dark at legal shooting time. Too dark to shoot safely.

I have always appreciated a brighter sharper image at first or last light, and the vast majority of my wall hangers came from a few minutes on either side. Nothing scientific, but it is just my experience that the big ones are the first in and the last out.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:01 PM   #8
Nathan

Vortex everyday and twice on Sunday

Seriously, Vortex makes a very good scope. The coatings provide true to life color.....just a great scope.

I do not specifically know the HST, but I have shot the Diamondback and looked through all the rest. There must be a reason Vortex is the most chosen optic of PRS.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:51 PM   #9
ms6852

Can not go wrong with any of those scopes. As I age I realized that my eyes require a little more magnification. So I have scopes that are 16x max. I only use that when plinking at targets for bullet holes, or to count points on a buck. But for real shooting especially long distances up to 600 yards I have never gone above 8X because in hot weather climates the mirage is magnified and the picture is not clearer. Magnification will also magnify atmospheric conditions as well.

Last edited by ms6852; December 6, 2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old December 5, 2017, 06:43 PM   #10
BuckBerry

Guys,
Thanks for the input on these scopes. One question i always have is "Is there any reason to not have a little magnification left over?" I mean, Its not like i have to use it while hunting. I know i can save a few bucks by choosing a 3-9x, but something like 3.5-14x could come in handy even if only on the shooting range.
Thanks so much for the help
Old December 5, 2017, 07:41 PM   #11
Don Fischer

I have a 4 1/2-14 on one rifle. It's a monster compared to my 3-9's and 2-7's. Huge sucker but is good for what I wanted it for. Have never hunted with it and probably never will.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:54 PM   #12
OzeanJaeger

If you’re young and strong a few extra ozs shouldn’t bother you. Heck, I’ve pheasant hunted seven days straight carrying a A5. Not many hunting rifles are that heavy scope and all, nor do many deer hunts consist of hiking all day.
Old December 5, 2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Nathan

To me, the problem shouldn’t be about weight. Weight helps you shoot better. The question is about balance. I think people need to consider balance more. I mean balance of design.

We are talking about a:
270 Win - 400-500 energy
Browning X bolt - 500 yd accuracy
8-10x - 500-600 magnification

2-4x...nice for when you need a 25 yd shot

IMO, you want a 2-8x or 3-9x....maybe a 3-12x....bdc would be nice, especially with windage and elevation hold offs. Vortex excels at this kind of reticle.
Old December 5, 2017, 10:55 PM   #14
BuckBerry

Finally Order One: LEUPOLD!

Well I just ordered it:
VX-3i
4.5-14x40
30mm
Side Focus
CDS Turret
Duplex Reticle

Thanks for the help guys
Old December 6, 2017, 01:30 AM   #15
ms6852

It is a good scope you will not be disappointed .
Old December 6, 2017, 09:41 AM   #16
OzeanJaeger

I agree. You won't cry.