The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2019, 05:43 PM   #1
sigarms228

Glock Gen 5 accuracy vs older Glock Gens

I am really digging my Gen 2 Glock 19 and it is my constant companion when I am out and about and has never given me a problem. Just got back from the range a little while ago and happy with results but I can not shoot my Gen 2 Glock 19 quite as accurately (group size) as some of my other pistols like my HK P30L. My Gen 2 Glock 19 is same as I got it from factory except for Gripforce adapter.

The Gen 5 Glocks are supposed to be their most accurate Glocks ever and I was wondering what Gen 5 Glock users have been experiencing with accuracy especially compared to older Gens of Glocks or if anyone has any info such as accuracy tests done from rests. I am thinking of getting a Gen 5 Glock either the 19 or 45 and claims of increased accuracy are compelling for me. I will at some point try them all out at the range though the downside to that is rental ranges never seem to have larger back straps to try as that would be helpful with my larger hands/fingers and is why I have the Gripforce adapter on mine now.

Thanks for any sharing of experiences and I am not interested in any comments on if or if not I could actually shoot a more accurate pistol better as I am trying to specifically find out if the Gen 5 Glocks are actually noticeably more mechanically accurate than older Gens. Of course a different trigger or even different sights could make one more of less accurate but at least this is a starting point of gathering some info and after enough shooting one can usually come up with a pretty good educated guess about mechanical accuracy of a pistol compared to others they use. I typically shoot at 7,15, and 25 yards at indoor range.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:03 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I feel there's a difference, but that's me shooting offhand and that's not really scientific. Obviously Glock claims they are. I think both Omaha Outdoors and MrGunsnGear on YouTube have more appropriate testing that's at least from a sled.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 14, 2019, 06:05 PM   #3
JDBerg

I have verified that my 19x (essentially a Gen5) is ever so slightly more accurate than my Gen3 17 and 19, using the same ammo, targets, and target distances. And I can also verify that my HK P30 is more accurate than my Glock 19. It’s not surprising to me anyway that your P30L with the longer sight radius is more accurate than your Glock 19.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:10 PM   #4
sigarms228

Thanks for the info TunnelRat and I will check out those reviewers. Yeah I have to believe Glock's claim and was wondering what shooters like you are experiencing. I would not expect startling difference for the most part though but a noticeable improvement is good to hear.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:11 PM   #5
74A95

As a side note, consider that what might be affecting accuracy is the ammunition. Not all guns like the same ammo, and sometimes you have to try different ammo to see what the gun likes. I base this on a fair amount of testing with guns in a Ransom Rest. There can be a 3-fold difference in group size from one type of ammo to another.

My G19 (Gen 3) seems to like the PPU 155 JHP (3.17" group at 25 yards). It does not like the Blazer 115 TMJ or the Winchester WB 115 FMJ (9+" at 25 yards). Groups are 50-shots from Ransom Rest.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:15 PM   #6
Rangers13

My Gen 5 19 is definitely more accurate then my older model. Brought my group in an inch of 5 shots at 15 yards. Next test is at 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 14, 2019, 06:15 PM   #7
sigarms228

Thanks for sharing that info JDBerg, very helpful. Yeah the P30L might be my most mechanically accurate 9MM pistol, at least in the top 3.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:19 PM   #8
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
As a side note, consider that what might be affecting accuracy is the ammunition. Not all guns like the same ammo, and sometimes you have to try different ammo to see what the gun likes. I base this on a fair amount of testing with guns in a Ransom Rest. There can be a 3-fold difference in group size from one type of ammo to another.

My G19 (Gen 3) seems to like the PPU 155 JHP (3.17" group at 25 yards). It does not like the Blazer 115 TMJ or the Winchester WB 115 FMJ (9+" at 25 yards). Groups are 50-shots from Ransom Rest.
Thanks 79A5 and you make a great point. I have not tested my pistols anywhere to the extent you have but I have found that they all seem to like Federal American Eagle 124 and 147 which is mostly what I shoot these days. PMC 115 seems to be another one most do well with.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:22 PM   #9
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers13 View Post
My Gen 5 19 is definitely more accurate then my older model. Brought my group in an inch of 5 shots at 15 yards. Next test is at 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Ranger13. That is very encouraging to hear and you must be happy about that.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:33 PM   #10
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A9S:
I’d be curious to know more details pertaining to your comment that your Gen 19 likes the PPU ammo (decent, reasonably priced ammo) but does not like the Blazer ammo, is that the Blazer aluminum case or the Blazer Brass ammo? And I’ll agree that some guns do not seem to function as well with certain brands, types, and weights of factory ammo, but my Glocks shoot everything I ioad into them, that is one of the best aspects of owning & shooting Glocks in the first place. And although I don’t have problems with WWB ammo, I can’t say for sure when was the last time I bought any, I can always get some other brand that I’d rather buy.
Old January 14, 2019, 06:44 PM   #11
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
I’d be curious to know more details pertaining to your comment that your Gen 19 likes the PPU ammo (decent, reasonably priced ammo) but does not like the Blazer ammo, is that the Blazer aluminum case or the Blazer Brass ammo?
Blazer brass Cat. # 5200.

Other Glocks might love this ammo. Mine didn't - though maybe it was just that lot #. That's why people have to try different ammo in their gun to find out what they like.
Old January 15, 2019, 12:21 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Other Glocks might love this ammo. Mine didn't - though maybe it was just that lot #. That's why people have to try different ammo in their gun to find out what they like.
It's hard to emphasize this enough.

I remember reading an article about drop-in barrels that were supposed to improve accuracy--unfortunately the website it was posted on is no longer operational. 11 barrels were tested, including the original stock barrel.

The author concluded that at least some of the barrels did improve accuracy--the Glock barrel came in #5 out of 11.

He selected one as the winner--on average it was shooting groups at 25 yards that were 0.58" smaller than the stock barrel. That's an improvement--but not a big one.

Hidden in the accuracy data was something he apparently missed. The test included shooting all the barrels with a variety of ammunition.

Out of all the ammunition tested, there was one particular loading that shot so well in the original stock barrel that it actually outclassed all of the tested barrels except one. And that one barrel was not the winning barrel that was overall most accurate on average.

In other words, the tester selected a barrel as the winner--but had he just done an ammunition test instead and not bought any barrels, he could have found the loading his stock barrel liked and that ammo/barrel combo would have offered better accuracy than the barrel he chose as being the overall winner. AND better accuracy than every other barrel in the test, save one.

I'm not saying that will always happen, just pointing out that different guns/barrels like different ammo--sometimes the difference can be pretty impressive.
Old January 16, 2019, 08:38 AM   #13
IAhunter

Definitely not scientific testing, but my G22.4 will shoot smaller groups at 25 yards than my G19X. This is with a couple different brands and types of ammo. Not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. The trigger is better on the 19X. So is it the extra sight radius or the gun? Quien sabe?

This is not meant to disparage the 19X, as I really like the gun a lot.
Old January 16, 2019, 12:45 PM   #14
tipoc

From a G19 to a G22 the length of sight (sight radius) is about 1/2 inch. Not enough for that to make a significant difference, if any, in terms of shot placement and accuracy of the gun.

Different ammo can make a significant difference.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old January 16, 2019, 02:17 PM   #15
sigarms228

Thanks again for the replies. Sounds like the Gen 5 series are a little bit more accurate than older Gens. Maybe I am looking for an excuse to buy a new pistol .

Even though I have newer poly frame pistols I have grown to really like my Gen 2 Glock 19 and with dry fire practice using a 9MM Laserlyte laser cartridge I have improved my results with it where it is about as good as most my other pistols. I was just at the range and they finally painted it so that it is much brighter and I tried shooting it at 25 yards/75ft. Target was a Glowshot 10 inch and with 20 shots I got them all in a 6 inch group, but mostly to the left by a couple inches, which I was pretty happy with with these old eyes shooting American Eagle 147 and my SD ammo is HST 147 +P. I was just wondering if a Gen 5 could improve the results a bit and it sounds like I might see that which is encouraging and since I am convinced the Glock 19 is the best 15 round 9MM CCW choice for me I would not mind having a second Glock 19 or maybe Glock 45.
Old January 16, 2019, 02:40 PM   #16
TunnelRat

I always have to drift my rear sights on Glocks slightly to the right. I don't on other pistols. I hear it's not uncommon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2019, 02:51 PM   #17
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I always have to drift my rear sights on Glocks slightly to the right. I don't on other pistols. I hear it's not uncommon.

Thanks, I am going to have to do that too. Mine has the original poly sights which I have come to like but not sure the best way to do that. I have poly jaws for my vice and brass punches. I just don't want to ding the sight up to much. I may have to look for nylon tipped punch (I think Brownells has one) or some even say to use a small wooden dowel.
Old January 16, 2019, 03:10 PM   #18
TunnelRat

I would think wood might work. They're not super tight in there. I have a Wheeler (I think) universal sight pusher that I've had for the last 2 years. It wasn't cheap but it's paid for itself over time.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 16, 2019, 05:24 PM   #19
JDBerg

https://www.glockstore.com/Sight-Mas...ht-Pusher-Tool

This is a nice sight pusher tool at a decent price. I’ve seen this one in their store.
Old January 16, 2019, 05:31 PM   #20
TunnelRat

I used essentially the same design for a while and it worked okay. On mine the threads eventually stripped and using the blocks wasn't always easy. However, for the price it's not bad. This is what I use now: https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-71090.../dp/B01B3NU0U2. Is it three times better? To me yeah, and compared to the MGW Pro tool it's pretty cheap. But unless you plan to swap a lot of sights the $60 option is fine.

Old January 16, 2019, 06:47 PM   #21
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I would think wood might work. They're not super tight in there. I have a Wheeler (I think) universal sight pusher that I've had for the last 2 years. It wasn't cheap but it's paid for itself over time.
Thanks. I may give that a try.
Old January 16, 2019, 07:09 PM   #22
Brit

The Plastic sight, the original one that came on the Glocks. That is accurate just with the original pistol. Go to new Night Sights, in the centre of the slide, no it needs to be on the right side of the slide! 1/16th of an inch, to the right.
Old January 19, 2019, 05:27 PM   #23
hogwiley

Have the gen 5 glocks proven to be any more reliable than the Gen 4's?
Old January 19, 2019, 05:30 PM   #24
TunnelRat

Glock claims they have a better MRBF. If someone want to send me 10000 rds of ammo I can confirm or deny.

Old January 19, 2019, 06:39 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Glock claims they have a better MRBF.
I'm willing to accept that as true in the case where a person chooses ammo the gun likes and sticks with those loadings.

The tighter chambers mean that when feeding from a wide variety of commercial ammo, the Gen 5s may actually be less reliable because some loadings may not fully chamber.