The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2019, 04:00 PM   #1
bobznew1

Got first box of bullets, ready to begin

After spending hundreds of dollars on equipment and no telling how many dozens of hours reading books and materials on the subject of reloading, I finally took delivery of the most important component - the part that comes out of the end of the gun barrel.

200gr. LSWC (Bullseye#1) from Missouri Bullets. Time to get started.

200gr LSWC.png
Old January 6, 2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Have fun. Just remember the narrower end is the part that's supposed to be visible when you are done.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 6, 2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Just remember the narrower end is the part that's supposed to be visible when you are done.
Important safety tip ^

What are you going to put under said bullets? i.e. What propellant; and how much? We want details, primers, OAL, everything.
Old January 6, 2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

Being THIS green, just load 5-10 rounds and shoot em. Dont crank out 100 just to learn they are unshootable or dangerous. Welcome to your new addiction. We are always here to enable you....errr uh...help you.
Old January 6, 2019, 11:47 PM   #5
bobznew1

Thanks for the tip about directionality, I will keep that in mind. LOL

As far as loads, I’ll be using CCI large pistol primers and W231 powder. I imagine I’ll start my load in a very safe region (as in, well below max publisghed load) and work my way up. So that will likely lend itself to loading just a few rounds at a time, as suggested.
Old January 7, 2019, 12:06 AM   #6
kmw1954

You have officially entered the addicting world of hand loading. Congratulations!
Old January 7, 2019, 06:55 AM   #7
Big Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
You have officially entered the addicting world of hand loading. Congratulations!
Boy-O-Boy isn't that the truth!
Old January 7, 2019, 11:32 AM   #8
RC20

All you need is one more piece of equipment and life will be perfect.

Over and over.

Welcome to the insanity.

Your most important tool is the one that sits atop your shoulders.
Old January 7, 2019, 12:07 PM   #9
M88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954
Addicting? Understatement. As a newbie re-loader myself, I can attest. Of all the stuff I've gotten into over the years, THIS is rewarding. It's akin to years ago when I would rebuild my own VW engines from scratch. Started with the split case and hundreds of parts and a month later, the thrill of driving down the road with an engine every nut and bolt of which was put together by ME was euphoric. Re-loading is similar deal. You're firing downrange with bullets YOU put together. To the guys that have been doing it much of their life, I assume it gets routine. For a re-loading newbie like myself it's a HUGE deal.
Old January 7, 2019, 12:32 PM   #10
mikld

Welcome. I'd suggest you start no lower than the starting loads in your manual(s). Assuming you're loading for the 45 ACP, poor cycling and even bullets stuck in the barrel are concerns when loading too light. I have 3 guns for the 45 ACP, and only one likes the 200 SWC, my RIA 1911, the other two, a Ruger P90 and a Hi-Point carbine don't feed the SWC consistently.

Reloading satisfying? Immensely!

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...
Old January 7, 2019, 03:54 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Quote:
CCI large pistol primers and W231 powder.
That ^ coupled with your Bullseye#1's, you are on the verge of duplicating my most loaded round. 5.0 grains W231 yields for me 840-850 f/s, and really straight shooters. Your mileage may vary.

Load safe. Once you've tried them, a range report to us would be appreciated.
Old January 7, 2019, 04:17 PM   #12
std7mag

Ohhh Boy!!!
Your playing in the deep end now...

Oh, and you be sure the shiny side of the primer is facing the outside of the case.

Don't cry over spilled powder.

I started what seems a lifetime ago, (actually only 5-6 years) and still get great pride over a good group, or game taken with one of my own.
Old January 7, 2019, 05:16 PM   #13
RC20

If I ever get a good group I will take pride in it (grin)

I have to laugh at guys downrange and come back with, man you have that dialed in.

I am thinking, wow, what are your standards?

I keep a straight face and thank them, they are being nice, but unless its under 1/2 inch, its a bust to me. Granted I started out thinking 1 inch would be great and then.........
Old January 8, 2019, 09:04 AM   #14
markr6754

I’m heading into my 2nd year. Got my press just before Christmas 2017 to stick under the tree for me. Picked up bullets, primers, and powder into the new year, and my wallet has never been the same. My regret is not fully thinking through my orders. Still have that problem. In the end, as much as you can afford to, make a few big purchases, rather than a lot of small purchases. Hazmat and shipping costs really do suck, so minimize them as much as you can. I could buy a new progressive press for what I’ve spent, in one year, on shipping and Hazmat fees.
Old January 8, 2019, 10:09 AM   #15
Charlie_98

Well, you picked one of the easiest cartridges to learn to load for... it's what I started on over 30 years ago. If you mind the book data it's very hard to get hurt or not find something that works well in your particular pistol. I think W231 and the 200grn 45 bullet are probably one of the best matches ever.

Wherever you go, there you are...
Old January 8, 2019, 01:14 PM   #16
Mule

The first time you drop the hammer on a round you built, it will be both exhilarating and terrifying.

I expect, like others here, you will achieve tremendous satisfaction shooting small groups, smashing clay targets and taking game, with ammunition you built yourself.

Welcome to my addiction
Old January 8, 2019, 02:43 PM   #17
mgulino

Avoid the HAZMAT and shipping fees, and support your LGS.
Order projectiles in bulk. Several forum members can provide great sources.
Go slow, measure several times, be safe, and have fun.
Old January 8, 2019, 03:05 PM   #18
RC20

Try Alaska! Your only recourse is the LGS. No competition. You can't begin to afford the haz payments as it goes through Canada or a very restricted barge shipment.

Next time I am stateside I am loading up on powder (you can carry it through the borer with no penalty as long as its under X pounds )

I took to buying 8 lb jugs to save money and be sure I had powder on hand.

All my bullets are mail order. Cabellas used to have the Horn 168 ZMX for a decent price, those are gone. Sad state (pun intended) of affairs I can get bullets for half price including shipping.

I am just starting in on Horn 168 ELD and getting results that look good in a couple of guns that are downright picky.
Old January 8, 2019, 03:55 PM   #19
TailGator

Soon you will refer to range trips as "emptying brass."
Old January 9, 2019, 08:35 AM   #20
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgulino View Post
Avoid the HAZMAT and shipping fees, and support your LGS.
Order projectiles in bulk. Several forum members can provide great sources.
Go slow, measure several times, be safe, and have fun.
Would that I could. The only LGS around here selling reloading supplies is Cabela’s. Now, I do support Cabela’s quite a bit...but I am intentionally paying some of the highest prices in the country. I’d have to quit the sport if I only shopped there.
That said...I hit up the local gun show, though the entry fee is similar to Hazmat, although lower.
Old January 9, 2019, 09:32 AM   #21
littlebikerider

I haven't been reloading long either, but I'm all in!

Midsouth Shooter's Supply offers "free hazmat with orders over $149" pretty frequently, get on their email list. I'm fortunate to have a couple of local LGS that I can deal with.
Old January 9, 2019, 09:37 AM   #22
kilotanker22

I buy all my powder and primers from Local guys. I also buy Brass and tools from them. (Dies etc). It costs a few dollars more for powder, but I save in the Hazmat fee. Besides, my local guy Generally has prices that compete with online retailers pretty well.

Bullets I buy online if he doesn't have them.

Anyway, good luck man. Since I started loading my own ammunition. (8 years ago) I have definitely become addicted.

Lol, all I ever want to do is shoot and make more ammo. Too bad I have to work to support my habbit.
Old January 9, 2019, 10:25 AM   #23
Charlie_98

Quote:
Would that I could. The only LGS around here selling reloading supplies is Cabela’s.
I think if you looked around a bit, you would find some mom n pop shops that had reloading stuffs in stock; yes, you might have to drive a bit. When I lived in Columbus there were all sorts of places out in the little towns that had shooting and reloading stuff. Granted... that was 1980's central Ohio.

Wherever you go, there you are...
Old January 9, 2019, 12:07 PM   #24
kmw1954

Interesting twist this thread has taken.

Buy online or support local? Sounds like a good title to another topic.

I do both, so far it has been bullets and tooling are bought online while powders and primers are bought local because of hazmat and shipping.

Cabela's use to be reasonable with all their supplies until the buyout by BPS. They would run sales almost quarterly on Berry's or Xtreme bullets and S&B primers. Now as we should have all found out by now S&B is no more they are not shipping/importing primers any longer so that deal is dried up.

Also as for local purchase, I live between Chicago and Milwaukee and there just are no suppliers to be found. The closest two I have found are 2+ hours north of me. One is north of Madison and the other is about 1 hour north of Milwaukee. The few that do carry a few powders of primers for what they charge I might as well buy online and pay the hazmat. Also the local gun shows are also next to useless as far as reloading items.
Old January 9, 2019, 12:42 PM   #25
Reloadron

Keep something in mind. While the learning curve is not all that steep a few setbacks are normal. Things do not always quite go like the really cool pictures in the book. Several of my first straight wall handgun cartridges weren't quite ready for prime time and becoming pictures in a book. A few setbacks, crunched brass and odd shaped cases are more the normal than exception in the very beginning. Hey, if things go perfect but if things aren't quite what you want or expect don't worry about it.

You also know you have a place to come for answers to those questions like why did it do that? Enjoy putting the new tools to work, take your time and have fun shooting ammunition where you can say I made that.

Ron