The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2018, 03:17 PM   #76
stagpanther

Quote:
shortening them to about 21.7"
You mean the rupture points were exactly at that length no matter the length of the barrel? Boy--that's a mind bender!
Old December 22, 2018, 04:10 PM   #77
Savvy_Jack

Quote:
Jack,

Interesting about the cases and BP velocities in particular. Have you measured the actual case volume? How much water weight each case will hold when they are the same length?
Typically my RP brass yields about 41gr/v H20, Starline 42gr/v H20 and these Semi-Balloon head cases 44gr/v H20
Old December 22, 2018, 10:06 PM   #78
hounddawg

Interesting read there Jack and I can certainly understand why you like this gear. There is a gent at the range who shoots the big bores a lot and he pays every bit as much attention to his reloading as the long range guys do. He is always tweaking his loads. Next time I see him I will mention this thread
Old December 22, 2018, 10:36 PM   #79
Savvy_Jack

Thanks Houndawg! I apologize for my lack of grammar and literature skills. I have maybe a little better followup here:
https://www.44winchestercenterfireca...essureTrace-II
Old December 24, 2018, 04:18 PM   #80
Savvy_Jack

My Pressuretrace stopped working today when I hooked it up. The box light remains on "Data Captured" rather than "Synchronized". The popup window created says it is not properly configured....and to contact the supplier. Sent a message off to Jim but thought I might try here first if it can be a quick fix!
Old December 24, 2018, 05:27 PM   #81
stagpanther

I believe the set comes with a test gauge/connector--does it show any return when hooked up? The few times I've had problems--it's almost always been an issue with a connector or gauge--it doesn't take much to cause a malfunction.
Old December 24, 2018, 05:37 PM   #82
Savvy_Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I believe the set comes with a test gauge/connector--does it show any return when hooked up? The few times I've had problems--it's almost always been an issue with a connector or gauge--it doesn't take much to cause a malfunction.
It does connect, I ran the "Flash" and it connected but failed to correct the problem.
Old December 24, 2018, 07:36 PM   #83
stagpanther

I'm just guessing--but if the unit indicates data captured but won't transfer data--then perhaps there is a communication/port issue between the unit and your computer. You might want to try deleting all the port configuration info and then create new ones.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 24, 2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old December 24, 2018, 07:40 PM   #84
Savvy_Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I'm just guessing--but if the unit indicates data captured but won't connect--then perhaps there is a communication/port issue between the unit and your computer. You might want to try deleting all the port configuration info and then create new ones.
Not sure how to do that. I will see what I can find. Thanks
Old December 24, 2018, 08:00 PM   #85
stagpanther

Quote:
Not sure how to do that. I will see what I can find. Thanks
OK--I just fired my unit up to see if I could simulate your failure.Near as I can tell when the gauge receives an input and the pressure trace receives the data; it transmits the "data captured" indication and awaits "calibration" between it and the trace settings you have entered for the particular caliber/barrel you are testing for on the computer software. This I guess is the period between the software receiving the data and "making sense of it" to output the trace pattern. I would try creating a new settings configuration with a slightly different name and assign a different com port and see if that helps.
Old December 25, 2018, 06:15 PM   #86
Savvy_Jack

The port was working, talked with Jim and got the system to change to were now all the lights are on but now it fails to Flash. Jim is away and I asked him not to hurry with this. It's Christmas!!!

When I open the "Flash" fix, it recognizes the correct port, I click "Flash" and it says "configuring for update" but then nothing ever happens. I'll keep ya posted.
Old December 25, 2018, 06:17 PM   #87
stagpanther

Quote:
The port was working, talked with Jim and got the system to change to were now all the lights are on but now it fails to Flash. Jim is away and I asked him not to hurry with this. It's Christmas!!!

When I open the "Flash" fix, it recognizes the correct port, I click "Flash" and it says "configuring for update" but then nothing ever happens. I'll keep ya posted.
In other words you're updating the firmware on the PT unit? BTW--I just noticed there was a recent update to the Lab software--I just tried installing it but the install crashed on my win10 machine.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 25, 2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old December 25, 2018, 07:06 PM   #88
Savvy_Jack

My CD says 5.05...I hope that is the latest upgrade. Only had it a few months.
Old December 25, 2018, 07:21 PM   #89
stagpanther

Quote:
My CD says 5.05...I hope that is the latest upgrade. Only had it a few months.
I have the same version--the lab is what is upgraded. Is there a chance you can install the software on a different computer to see if it works? I run a version on my desktop computer--even though I don't take it out when shooting--as a a sort of beta test.
Old December 25, 2018, 07:54 PM   #90
Savvy_Jack

I have it on my desktop but no bluetooth
Old December 26, 2018, 01:08 AM   #91
stagpanther

Quote:
I have it on my desktop but no bluetooth
Should be able to add a cheap dongle to add bluetooth--cost maybe 5-10 bucks.
Old December 26, 2018, 07:56 AM   #92
Savvy_Jack

I did but it didnt work so I just use the laptop. I got an insignia
Old December 26, 2018, 08:52 AM   #93
stagpanther

Qucik google and I can't find anything on insignia other than they make tablets. I've run out of suggestions of things to try--good luck.
Old December 26, 2018, 09:24 AM   #94
Savvy_Jack

Thanks Stag, Jim will be back soon. I will push off my trip to the range a few more days!!
Old December 26, 2018, 07:18 PM   #95
Savvy_Jack

Jim tried his best to help me but I am afraid the problem is me. I think I will probably just have to send it back to him so it can be properly rebooted.

I can destroy an anvil with a wood mallet!!!
Old December 26, 2018, 09:07 PM   #96
stagpanther

Ley us know the cause of failure--I'm always interested in those things.
Old December 26, 2018, 09:31 PM   #97
Savvy_Jack

I think I may have turned it off before it was ready. I had it facing away from me and when I shut down the program, I may have turned it off too soon. I'll keep ya informed
Old January 12, 2019, 06:34 PM   #98
Savvy_Jack

Had a few interesting patterns. This is about the best I can get with my first srtain gauge placement.
Old January 12, 2019, 06:37 PM   #99
stagpanther

Can't see the pic--did you succeed in getting your unit to connect to your computer?
Old January 12, 2019, 07:04 PM   #100
Savvy_Jack

Oh yeah, I am not a gadget person so I had to send it back to Jim to Flash it. I think I shut it off before the program had time to shut down.