The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2018, 08:49 PM   #1
Abower94

Lc9s pro trigger pull weight

I got a Lyman trigger pull weight gauge for Christmas and was playing with it on my lc9s Pro. I was getting a consistent 4 pound weight of pull but everywhere I look most people are in the 5 5lb. Is my gauge reading correctly or is it off? I was pulling on it a little hard at first because I wasn't sure if the arm was locking in correctly and I was just worried that I may have screwed up the gauge.
Old December 31, 2018, 11:59 PM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

I have the model with the safety. Mine is 4lbs. I no longer carry it, Too light. Have moved on to a double action. I have a lot of rounds through mine, so it is well broken in. Bought a Nano and love the trigger and best Micro I have shot. Feels like I am shooting 380. out of it. No muzzle flip. Over 5,000 rds now through the gun and running like a top.

I called Ruger about 6 months ago before I bought the Nano and inquired if there was anything I could do, to make the trigger heavier. They had me send it in, but came back and basically said, there was nothing they could do. They did replace the spring, but it did not do much. Just be careful.
Old January 1, 2019, 12:30 AM   #3
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I have the model with the safety. Mine is 4lbs. I no longer carry it, Too light. Have moved on to a double action. I have a lot of rounds through mine, so it is well broken in. Bought a Nano and love the trigger and best Micro I have shot. Feels like I am shooting 380. out of it. No muzzle flip. Over 5,000 rds now through the gun and running like a top.

I called Ruger about 6 months ago before I bought the Nano and inquired if there was anything I could do, to make the trigger heavier. They had me send it in, but came back and basically said, there was nothing they could do. They did replace the spring, but it did not do much. Just be careful.
I originally really liked the LC9 platform because it's a very flat pistol and would be easier to carry/conceal, but after owning the LCP and how much the recoil is with that, I expect the light LC9 to be the same.

Now looking at PPS M2, Springfield XD-E, and that rumored Glock 48 looks good too.
Old January 2, 2019, 10:07 AM   #4
pete2

If you have the model with a safety one would think a 4 lb trigger would be OK. The guns that don't have safeties are the guns to worry about.
Old January 2, 2019, 11:22 AM   #5
USNRet93

Isn’t the LC9s a striker gun? So same safety features as any striker? In that they aren’t really ‘cocked’, ala Glock? As for recoil, owned a LC9s and own a LCP...neither no fun to shoot, to me.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 2, 2019, 01:37 PM   #6
TXAZ

Easy to test the scale accuracy. Get an empty plastic gallon or quart milk jug and fill it up. The container will only weigh an ounce or two. A quart of water weighs 2.1 lbs / 33 ounces. A gallon of water weight 8.3 lbs lbs / 128 ounces (A gallon or 4% / whole milk weight 8.6 lbs)

You should be able to slip the scale clasp on the milk jug handle.

If you're within a few ounces you're calibrated for trigger weight.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 2, 2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
I originally really liked the LC9 platform because it's a very flat pistol and would be easier to carry/conceal, but after owning the LCP and how much the recoil is with that, I expect the light LC9 to be the same.
The LCP and LC9 are two entirely different pistols, despite a similar name and aesthetics.

The LCP certainly has brisk, but manageable, felt recoil, but this should be expected for such a small, light pistol with a small grip, even in .380ACP. If it were a blowback versus a locked-breech pistol, the felt recoil would be even more pronounced.

As a still quite small, locked-breech 9x19mm pistol, the LC9 still won't avoid having more felt recoil than bigger guns, but it is still manageable. In my personal experience, I would say it has less felt recoil than the smaller Kahr PM9/CM9 or blowback 9x18mm pistols like the Makarov, but more than slightly larger/heavier guns like the S&W Shield or the Walther PPS.
Old January 12, 2019, 08:36 AM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

Agree, both the LCP and the LC9s are not the best to shoot comfortably. I had 4 lcp's but moved on to better made and more comfortable Pocket guns. The LC9S is not as bad as the LCP's, of course bigger and better made. The recoil was not so bad as the fact the gun is very "Snappy" with a lot of muzzle flip. That said, I shot it very well and it was a reliable gun. Still have it, just do not carry it.
Old January 17, 2019, 01:33 AM   #9
sigxder

Mines 4 lbs. on the nose.
Old January 17, 2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Mine is 4.5 lbs.
I use the safety.
I don't find the recoil any worse, if as sharp as the dwarf .380.