The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Frankly

newbie seeks advice on primer pocket cleaning

Hello folks,

I am new to reloading and have been taking it slowly to make sure I don't blow anything up.

Finally got my reloading station completed and my press put together.

I own and have read (more than once) both the Lee and Lyman reloading books, so I do have some theoretical knowledge on this great new pastime, just no practical experience as yet.

First thing I did after getting everything set up was to decap and resize nearly 600 once-fired 44 magnum shells salvaged from factory ammo I had bought and fired over the years. That took awhile—and my arm is sore.

I am writing to get feedback from experienced reloaders on the matter of cleaning the primer pockets. Is this something you routinely do with each case, or only upon inspection and as indicated by.... ? I am including a representative sample picture of what my decapped once-fired shells look like, hoping that may help you to advise me. Your feedback is most appreciated.

Old April 15, 2015, 07:19 PM   #2
Bart B.

As clean as those are, they're ready for priming. No cleaning needed.
Old April 15, 2015, 07:21 PM   #3
stagpanther

Many people don't bother--the line of reasoning being that there are other factors that will have more effect on the accuracy of the load before that's a factor.

I always clean mine and clear the flash hole as well. The key thing is to not overdo it and remove metal which can affect how well the primer seats. Never once have had a primer fall/blow out or fail due to seating (had a few that were simply defective and would not ignite).
Old April 15, 2015, 08:29 PM   #4
passtime

Some say it is not necessary. I clean mine because I like mine clean and I have the time to do it.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:51 PM   #5
1100 tac

I'm with those guys^^
Old April 15, 2015, 08:54 PM   #6
Jbotto

I'm not nearly as experienced as many here, but I've been reloading for a good few years now. I don't bother cleaning primer pockets on pistol ammo. It seems that they kind of 'self-clean' themselves when fired, and the loose stuff in there gets knocked out when the primers get punched out. I do it out of habit for rifle ammo, however. Not sure that my level of shooting notices the difference, but since I'm doing brass prep on rifle cases anyways, a few turns of a primer pocket cleaner gets added into the steps. It's probably more peace of mind than anything FOR ME.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:54 PM   #7
polyphemus

By the time I'm done cleaning mine they's shinier than fake gold.
Just kiddin' I remove the carbon and move on,life's too short.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Your primer pockets in the pic are clean enough to reload.

Quote:
I clean mine because I like mine clean and I have the time to do it.
^^ I'm in this camp. ^^

Always have been. I've been loading for 30 years and historically, I've always cleaned my primer pockets by hand with a primer pocket cleaner - one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/467...ProductFinding

I have since evolved to wet tumbling my brass with stainless steel pins. Primer pockets come out looking like new. The entire piece of brass - inside n out, actually - comes out looking like new.

But that's just me. It's actually personal preference. For the most part, primer pockets for pistol (I only load for pistols) need not be cleaned; barring an obvious obstruction or whatnot.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:39 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I cleaned the primer pockets when I wanted to eliminate variables, mostly in rifle ammo. But when I shot a lot of .38 wadcutters, I used a Dillon tool and never bothered. I never had misfires and it never seemed to make any difference whether the pocket had been cleaned or not.

Jim
Old April 15, 2015, 10:54 PM   #10
GJSchulze

Just say no to cleaning primer pockets.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:23 AM   #11
Bart B.

Primer pocket cleaning is an emotional thing.

Many rifle match winners and record setters don't do it. That's proof it's not needed as far as reality is concerned.

Others are convinced it's necessary, so they do it.

And some do it for other reasons.

My advice is to do what you think is best; both for you and your ammo.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:31 AM   #12
rclark

Shoot a bunch with, and without.... You'll notice no difference in accuracy. When I started I always cleaned 'em, but later I ran a bunch without... And, how about that, shoot just as well. Anyway, that's my experience. It's an individual thing.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:37 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

If you de-prime the brass and then tumble with stainless steel pins, your brass will come out like factory new.

The whole case is clean inside and out, that includes the primer pockets.
Regular vibrator type's just clean the outside of the brass (they do a great job) but the inside and primer pockets are still dirty.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:08 AM   #14
Frankly

Wow-- that's quite a flurry of good feedback in short time. Got my money's worth outta this post for sure.

Still, nobody has yet touched on the "theoretical" reasons for cleaning them that I have read about. Supposedly not cleaning the pocket will prevent the new primer from seating properly. In theory, one of the consequences is gas leak, which could have a number of consequences including damage to the gun.

Can you folks please speak from experience to these theoretical concerns in particular?

Thanks again.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:19 AM   #15
AllenJ

I only clean primer pockets on rifle brass when the carbon buildup is much worse than those in your picture.

I would like to know if the primer flash hole in this picture:

Is it as small as it appears or is that an optical illusion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decapped.JPG (43.7 KB, 777 views)
Old April 16, 2015, 09:34 AM   #16
Bart B.

I'll comment on the "theoretical" reasons for cleaning them that one may have read about. Supposedly not cleaning the pocket will prevent the new primer from seating properly. In theory, one of the consequences is gas leak, which could have a number of consequences including damage to the gun.

If that were true, then all the people winning matches and setting records with uncleaned primer pockets would have noticed it and started cleaning out their primer pockets. The facts are, none of that stuff happened.

I never cleaned out my primer pockets after comparing cleaned and uncleaned ones in accuracy tests. No difference in 1000-yard test group sizes; a distance where any dirty one's influence would easily show accuracy differences.

Maybe there is a .002 MOA difference. Anyone with a .005 MOA at worst rifle and ammo combination want to do a test with statistically significant results?
Old April 16, 2015, 09:48 AM   #17
Frankly

Allen, that's gotta be a photographic anomaly. I do notice the ones with more carbon residue than others "appear" to have bigger holes, but that seems to be an illusion too upon closer inspection. Another thing is these shells are not all the same make. The cleaner looking ones tend to be the cheaper imported crap. I don't understand why. The Remington and Winchester cases seem to have more carbon residue... weird. Also, the cheap foreign shells went through the resizer a whole lot tighter than the American made stuff... interesting also. Thinner walls? Thus stretched more when fired? Opinions on this?
Old April 16, 2015, 09:52 AM   #18
Nick_C_S

Quote:
the "theoretical" reasons for cleaning them
If the primer pockets are nice n clean, the primer tends to insert with a more positive "feel." At least, this is true for me with my Lee hand primer.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:53 AM   #19
Frankly

Bart, I am all in favor of less tedium in reloading. Just trying to get a complete picture as I proceed into this. I would rather learn from the thousands of years of collective experience of y'all than from my own mistakes...
Old April 16, 2015, 09:56 AM   #20
jmorris

I can't tell you how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I have shot that I did not clean the primer pocket.

My best advice is to take 5 rounds and get the pocket as clean as you can, then take 5 more and just poke the old primer out and put in a new one, then go shoot them.

If your results are like mine you won't waist the time anymore.
Old April 16, 2015, 10:27 AM   #21
Dave P

"Thinner walls? Thus stretched more when fired? Opinions on this?"

You are wasting too much time thinking. Do more loading and shooting.
Old April 16, 2015, 11:12 AM   #22
Frankly

Dave, I can think and load at the same time.

Thanks,
Frankly

Last edited by Frankly; April 17, 2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old April 16, 2015, 04:58 PM   #23
polyphemus

Quote:
My best advice is to take 5 rounds and get the pocket as clean as you can, then take 5 more and just poke the old primer out and put in a new one, then go shoot them
Five rounds? That'll do it.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:24 PM   #24
Frankly

Nick,

I have that exact pocket cleaner, came in the deluxe turret press package. Now that most of the posters here have convinced me I don't have to use it, you come along and make me feel that I should...
Old April 16, 2015, 06:34 PM   #25
Sevens

I have only kept detailed records and round counts for about the last one hundred thousand rounds. Of those, figure probably less than one thousand of those have been high pressure, bottle neck rifle rounds. The rest have been handgun rounds across about a dozen or so different calibers and literally many dozen different handguns.

In that time/volume span, ZERO primer pockets have been cleaned and I have experienced ZERO "gas leaks" in 25+ years of handloading and shooting.

I will ALWAYS agree that doing little things that seem necessary to YOU will impact the confidence you have in your loads and this will positively impact the confidence in your shooting.

I spend quite a bit of time sorting headstamps in ALL calibers that I load... many do not and some people believe it is ludicrous to do so -- that bothers me not in the slightest.