The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2012, 04:58 PM   #26
BigJimP

I don't clean primer pockets on any handgun ammo ...regardless of the caliber ...from 9mm to .44 mag.../ and I have some revolver cases that have been reloaded at least 25 times...and no perceptable difference in accuracy or performance.

I do grab a handgun of cases ...after they're cleaned ...and tap them on a bench ...to make sure any residual cleaner medium is out of there.../ sort out any nasty looking cases / stuff with dents, etc ...and put them in a separate tub labeled as "cleaned and sorted".
Old January 27, 2012, 05:42 PM   #27
serf 'rett

Yes Sir, clean those handgun primer pockets every time. Just chunk them in the Thumler, sit back and grin while those stainless steel pins do their thing.

Suspect I'd have a hard time finding where I left the little Lee thingy or RCBS brushes.
Old January 27, 2012, 05:50 PM   #28
poline

Fellows

Thank you, for the many replys and advice, Thank you, very much.
Old January 28, 2012, 10:20 AM   #29
wncchester

" Is it really necessary to clean the primer pocket everytime?"

Well, the ammo won't care but if you don't clean the primer pockets surgically clean each time it will case snow to pile up in the streets of NYC!
Old January 28, 2012, 12:14 PM   #30
Slamfire

I do not know when primer pocket crud will build up to the point that you may have high primers.

I have stopped cleaning pistol primer pockets. I have pistol ammunition loaded 10 to 20 times on my Dillion 550B, I don't check for high primers, but I can't really say I have ever noticed any with my pistol ammunition.

For decades the technical experts writing for the American Rifleman, the vast majority being retired Ordnance Officers and retired Ordnance Department employees, they published all sorts of slamfire/danger warnings about high primers in centerfire rifles. Now, after decades of studying this, I think they were covering up the design deficiencies of Garands and M14’s, basically any semi auto rifle with a free floating firing pin. Given a really sensitive primer, these mechanisms will slamfire. Garands and M14’s will slamfire in battery and out of battery, though out of battery slamfiring is a very rare event. There are all sorts of posts of AR15’s, SKS’s, AK47’s slamfiring with new commercial ammunition, the primers of which are more sensitive than military, so we know the high primer only theories of the past were a misdirection.

Still, I am concerned about high primers and clean the primer pockets of my rifle ammunition. Any of which might be used in a semi automatic rifle.

Dirty primer pockets do not effect accuracy, at least in the opinion of a Long Range Champ I knew. He had several Camp Perry records and he clearly stated, he never cleaned his primer pockets. He took brass a lot of firings, he gave away small primer brass to a bud, which had 25 firings on it, so it was not as if he tossed brass after one firing.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:28 PM   #31
arch308

For the most part I rarely clean the primer pocket in pistol cases, don't see any benefit. The exception being reloaded hunting rounds for my 45 colt. I don't know if it is really neccessary but I feel better hunting with them.
I do visually check them before priming because, well, you know.
Old January 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #32
TXGunNut

For the most part I rarely clean the primer pocket in pistol cases, don't see any benefit. The exception being reloaded hunting rounds for my 45 colt. I don't know if it is really neccessary but I feel better hunting with them.
I do visually check them before priming because, well, you know.-arch308

Odd, I do the same thing. I treat my 45 Colt reloads like a rifle caliber for some reason, probably same as yours but honestly don't know. Any other pistol caliber cartridge is loaded on my 550 and as long as the primers seat the pockets are clean enough.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 28, 2012, 07:45 PM   #33
TheNatureBoy

I stopped cleaning primer pockets when I found out it wasn't really necessary. Besides, I hated doing it.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #34
FatWhiteMan

If I am doing case prep, I will usually clean them since it does not take that long to do. But of course I never do on the stuff I put through the progressive (.223, 9MM, .40S&W and .45ACP).

Everything else gets the primer pocket cleaned just as part of the case prep routine but no, it will not hurt anything to skip it. My progressive fodder doesn't miss it.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:08 AM   #35
MOshooter65202

I clean my primer pockets every time pistol or rifle

I stick with the same procedure

I tumble,resize,clean primer pockets,trim(rifle) every time, tumble again,and ready to reload.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:12 AM   #36
hooligan1

+100 for MOshooter 65202: I have to do everything, every time or I find the product slips in quality! PLUS IT'S DAMN FUN!!!!
Old January 29, 2012, 10:21 AM   #37
MOshooter65202

Hooligan1
I agree +100....The reloading/handloading is a lot of fun

And consistent reliable ammo starts with consistency in the reloading room
Old January 29, 2012, 10:37 AM   #38
hounddawg

cleaning the pocket may make a difference of 1/1000 th of a inch. I get consistent velocities plus or minus 10 FPS and my 308 cases are on their 10th loading, if I noticed a difference in seating resistance I might see if cleaning would make any difference but until then...... But I figure its like making your cases shiny, if it makes you feel better go for it. It ain't going to make any difference on your groups though. Don't take my word for it though, go Google it and read what the world class benchresters have to say about it. Some do , some don't.
Old January 29, 2012, 05:08 PM   #39
hooligan1

I don't camfer or ream the case-mouth every time unless I trim. But that little pocket of crap has to be scraped out or I will come out of my skin.... yuk!

its a confidence thing that means everything to the accuracy man
Old January 29, 2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Guybo

Quote:
I do not shoot competitively, and don't generally load high quantities at one sitting. I DO clean the pockets each time, after having tumbled AFTER removing the old primers.
It takes longer, and it's more steps getting the reloads done. But I feel better about my loads. I ALWAYS check the pockets after decapping and tumbling - rarely do I get media stuck in it - it's quick and easy to remove.
Every handloader has his own methodology. Use what works for YOU.
Ditto. I clean mine every single time, i just can't put a new clean primer in a dirty pocket. I've always cleaned them maybe out of habit or for a peace of mind i don't know but it works for me.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #41
zeke

Am not using a progressive, and clean the primer pockets every single time. More to ensure the primer is firmly seated at bottom of primer pocket for insurance of reliable function.

Use the RCBS powered case prep machine, makes it quicker and easier. cleaned several thousand by hand when first started reloading, can see why some people prefer not to clean primer pockets.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:41 PM   #42
Edward429451

I clean my primer pockets. To make it easier, I do it one handed. I used an old cleaning rod and cut off the tip. Then, I drilled the front of my reloading bench just to the left of the rockchucker and epoxied the threaded tip of the cleaning rod into the bench flush.

Now a primer pocket brush screws into it making it easy to clean pockets one handed.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:55 AM   #43
abber

Nope.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #44
saltydog452

We have an aquaintence who is real serious about shooting .50 BMG at distance.

Supposedly, he goes through about two dozen steps in case preperation. Primer pocket inspection/cleaning is part of that procedure.

Being detail oriented would seem to be a pre-requisite for some vocations/avocations.

Whatever feels good, do it.

alty
Old January 31, 2012, 02:01 PM   #45
TXJohn

Yes I do every time I want the best ammo that I can load. It may or it may not make any difference but in my mind I have done all I can do to load the best ammo.
Old February 1, 2012, 09:39 PM   #46
TXGunNut

Now a primer pocket brush screws into it making it easy to clean pockets one handed.-Edward429451

I like that! May mount a couple of deburring tools nearby. Thanks!
Old February 1, 2012, 09:57 PM   #47
Fullthrottle

Op I think you have your answer by now. Not likely required.
I however do clean my primer pockets each time. Probably just makes me feel better I guess!
On the other hand I am not shooting 1000's of rounds a month, only a few hundred a month.
Old February 1, 2012, 09:59 PM   #48
TXGunNut

I however do clean my primer pockets each time. Probably just makes me feel better I guess!-Fullthrottle

And that, my friend, is all that matters!
Old February 2, 2012, 07:15 AM   #49
tpcollins

serf 'rett said:
"Yes Sir, clean those handgun primer pockets every time. Just chunk them in the Thumler, sit back and grin while those stainless steel pins do their thing."

That's what I do and use - some people are articulate in life, some people are half-ass. I was taught that if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right or not at all.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:57 AM   #50
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nope. I don't tumble my cases to a glistening brilliance, either.

"I was taught that if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right or not at all."

Define "right."

Do you sort your brass by make AND weight? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

Do you weigh your bullets and sort them by weight? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

Do you weigh your primers and visually inspect them to make sure the anvil is in the proper place? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

Do you weigh every powder charge? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

Do you use a drop tube to ensure that every powder charge is compacted to the same degree? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

Do you measure each case to four digits to make sure they're the exact same length? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

Do you weigh every loaded cartridge? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

Do you inspect every cartridge on a run-out gauge? No? Then you're not doing it "right."

"Right" is an infinitely variable metric whose application depends, to a significant degree, on just how you're going to use the finished product.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.