The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2012, 10:18 PM   #26
PA-Jim

Any Gun I Carry

Polish, Polish, Polish. the feed ramp most - but anything that sticks even a little. you bet your life on any gun you carry.

I just acquired a new-very slightly used backup in 40 s&w. fired a clip to get the feel - even hit the gong twice at 15'. last round stopped on ramp.

ordered 45 springs from Wolf and spent a couple of hours with my hones. getting the right feel now.

use 165 EFMJ - Banned in Detroit. the next 200 rounds will tell.

nice to meet you guys - Jim
Old March 23, 2016, 05:21 PM   #27
hwrdsquires

amt 45 backup

Wolf no longer lists replacement springs fotr the 45 backup. Anyone know of another source?

Mine is ser# DA 2---. Bought it new years ago and it has never fed anything but 230 gr hardball, which it does reliably.
Old December 7, 2016, 11:33 PM   #28
Eastwood

Wolf DOES CURRENTLY have recoil springs for the AMT .45 Backup.

I just ordered one.
Old December 8, 2016, 04:17 PM   #29
ulflyer

Bought one at a gun show back when they first came out. Test fired it that
Saturday evening; back to show on Sunday and got rid of it.
Old December 8, 2016, 05:03 PM   #30
PolarFBear

I've had two of these. The first was brand new. My "trusted" dealer did his best to dissuade my choice. I ignored his advice. I was wrong. My first AMT was a jam-o-matic. Never really tried any fixes. I found the "blast" pretty powerful. Each shot felt as if I was being punched in the nose. My other 45's were not as "rough". Sold it. A few years later I still had the "bug" for an AMT b.u.g. I think it was $250. This one still punched my nose but it worked. Reliability was night and day between the two. But $$$ needs forced a sale. I would still try another one if the price was right. I am a glutton for AMT punishment. Heard the Texas Highway Patrol had the .40 as a back-up gun. Never heard how those worked out. That new Springfield looks interesting but I like real metal guns; no disparagement of plastic, just a preference. If you get an AMT DAO .45 buy it CHEAP. The odds of being dissatisfied are quite high.
Old December 15, 2019, 08:38 PM   #31
PolarFBear

Well, here I am three years AFTER my last post on an AMT DAO 45 acp. I did find another model and the price was at least acceptable, $300. But, I quote myself: "The odds of being dissatisfied are quite high". I should have listend to me. Recoil on the first shot is very acceptable, the blast is like other SHORT 45's. But the operative word is "first shot". It will only go BANG once. The gun jams on the ejection. Locks up tight. Oh well, first purchase an accident, second time a coincidence, the third time a habit. Back up is the correct trem for this gun. Fire the first round. Then THROW the gun at the target and BACK UP!
Old December 20, 2019, 01:14 AM   #32
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman View Post
Ahoy RsqVet,

After researching and hearing all the bad news about the AMT 45 BACK UP, I took a chance on a like-new condition one, on sale for $250.

Before shooting a single cartridge I disassembled (taking pics along the way to refresh my memory for re-assembly) the pistol completely. I found the internals in machined rough condition. Polished and buffed every single part...everything...very carefully. The hammer assembly is the worst, a real swine, but must be disassembled and thoroughly fluffed and buffed. This was time consuming, but when finished, the action becomes as smooth as a hot knife passing thru soft butter, with a silky, consistent, firm trigger pull. Very slick.

The owner must, in effect, re-manufacture the pistol, then keep it clean and well lubed. 100% flawless function.

Amazing how accurate these little AMT 45 BACK UPs are, 3/4" groups doable at CCW distances, and how well they handle the recoil of the 45 ACP cartridge. Mostly use for ankle carry, on occasion pocket or IWB (requires wide strong belt).

Only problem are the grip screws, they must be tightened after every range session, as they come loose. Lost one.

Good luck.
I wish I could find a 45 AMT back-up or even a 380 AMT back-up for that price, as a .32 NAA barrel swap project.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old December 20, 2019, 10:31 AM   #33
PolarFBear

silvermane 1. My last AMT purhcase was $300. That's all the are worth UNLESS you shoot it before hand and it is a guaranteed shooter. I really like the size of the AMT DAO 45 acp. I believe the .40 and 9mm are on the same sized frame. I would like to find an EQUAL sized "modern" carry piece. The AMT is just the right size. Yes, I have smaller guns, Seacamp, Keltec P3AT, Beretta 21, etc. But find them not quite ENOUGH for social carry. My eye is drawn to the Glock 30S but they are scarce in m neighborhood. I am bewildered by all the plastics on the market. Any suggestions?
Old December 21, 2019, 11:15 AM   #34
Charlie98

Quote:
That Springfield looks real nice! I also have been debating on the Kahr PM45 and the PM9 prior to purchasing the AMT. I still may trade for the PM9 if I can't get this feed problem fixed. Oh well, got my Sig P238 back my pocket and I guess that's where it will stay until I fix the AMT or find another "deal"?
I had and carried an AMT DAO .380 for some years, it was as small a pistol as I could find, and for reasons I won't enumerate, concealment was paramount. It certainly wasn't a range pistol, but it was reliable and did what it was supposed to do... until one day after a range session I found the slide had cracked under the ejection port. Off to AMT it went, and when it came back, it just stayed in the box and it went to the next gun show as trading fodder.

Fast forward to today... I carry either a Kahr CW9 or CM9. I originally wanted a .45, but my first P45 had chambering problems, and my follow-up CW45 is not as reliable as it needs to be... whereas my Kahr 9mm's have all been 100% reliable. The PM45 is enticing... it looks like it might be a winner, as long as it is reliable... but that is a hard gamble to make considering the success I've had with the 9's, and the problems I've had with the .45's. Given the OP it's due... I'd take my chances with a Kahr .45 over an AMT any day, and twice on Sunday.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 22, 2019, 08:14 AM   #35
PolarFBear

Charlie98: I FIRMLY agree on the reliability of the AMT, it's miserable. But, with the 45 acp, AMT rang the bell with the size and weight. Just wished it worked. I'll look at the PM45. I know there are lighter 45's being made these days. I just felt the weight to recoil ratio was "just right" on the AMT. Had the AMT line been worth a "toot" they would still be in business.
Old December 22, 2019, 09:06 AM   #36
agtman

Gotta love Necro-threads!

Digging them up after 6 or 7 years always reveals what you already knew and then some.

That said, a highly reliable 'backup' pistol in .45acp is my Colt New Agent. Always goes bang and never a jam.
Old December 22, 2019, 05:18 PM   #37
HighValleyRanch

For a modern version the Kahr PM45
AMT.....5.7" long, 4.1" high, !' wide
Kahr PM45....5.79" long, 4.45" high, !" wide
Both DOA and five plus 1
Kahr is more reliable and has better sights, better trigger.

I don't have the PM45, but the p45.
Old December 22, 2019, 08:18 PM   #38
PolarFBear

HighValleyRanch. Thanks for the measurements. I suspect the Kahr weighs a bit less as well. Was "cruisng" Cabella's gun room this afternoon. Saw a kahr PC9. It's really small. Didn't have a 45 version but there was a nice used S&W Shield 45 acp, without the thumb safety. It was priced at $319 with 10% off until the 31st of Dec. Regretablly, I'm just over the TN/VA line and FFL fees raise the price.
Old December 22, 2019, 09:25 PM   #39
HighValleyRanch

Did you mean a Kahr PM9?
Got one in my pocket right now. Yes, it's much smaller than the PM45.
Old February 13, 2020, 09:17 AM   #40
PolarFBear

Final wrap-up. Traded, even up, the AMT 45 DAO for a Kahr CW45 (n.i.b). Seems I've found a WINNER. It is just slightly larger but a lot lighter. Still-have a warm spot for an AMT. Just plain stupid on me.