The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2018, 03:19 PM   #101
Yosemite Steve

Before it was fired it was 2.480. After it was 2.490. You are the only one who understands whatever.... take your narcissism somewhere else please.
Old February 5, 2018, 03:47 PM   #102
F. Guffey

Quote:
What are you talking about? My case stretched .010"
Quote:
take your narcissism somewhere else please.
Yosemite Steve, Again, I understand, I am trying to tell you it is impossible for the case neck to lock the bullet in the throat of the chamber. The bullet leaves the neck of the case meaning there is nothing that happens between pulling the trigger and the bullet leaving the barrel that will allow the neck of the case to catch up with the bullet.

All of the events that happen when the trigger is pulled happen very fast. There is one member on this forum that lost the necks from 5 cases, he did not discover they were missing until the fifth shot. Others claim they suffered the loss of case necks because of 'cold welding', you claim the neck locked the bullet without the loss of one neck.

F. Guffey
Old February 5, 2018, 04:34 PM   #103
hounddawg

I lost a neck off a case once

First rifle I ever put together was a .204 Ruger. After a couple of hundred rounds I to pull the barrel for some reason, painted it I think, and decided to reinstall it with a tight clearance to where it would barely chamber a full length sized round . Gun shot great groups for a couple of range sessions and Inever had any bolt issues until one day I shot a round, it ejected fine and when I went to put the empty case in the carrier I noticed the neck was missing. Looked like the neck had been cut of by a laser and I never noticed anything out of the ordinary with the firing. I figured that range session was done but when I pulled the bolt and tipped the muzzle up the neck just fell out. I finished what rounds I had with me but when I got home I went in and backed that barrel out about .003.

I retired that barrel with over 2000 rounds through it and never saw that problem again

Last edited by hounddawg; February 5, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old February 5, 2018, 09:27 PM   #104
reynolds357

Quote:
All of the events that happen when the trigger is pulled happen very fast.
I never would have guessed that.
Old February 8, 2018, 03:26 PM   #105
F. Guffey

Quote:
I never would have guessed that.
I knew that when your claimed the neck of the case beat the bullet. You claimed the neck of the case jammed the bullet causing high pressure. I said that was impossible to do. I said the case will get shorter, not longer.

A reloader should not want the case to stretch, case stretch is caused by bad habits.

F. Guffey

Old February 8, 2018, 03:40 PM   #106
Yosemite Steve

Yeah. I also said twice that that was a mistake. I think I heard your datums calling you.
Old February 8, 2018, 04:43 PM   #107
F. Guffey

Quote:
Yeah. I also said twice that that was a mistake. I think I heard your datums calling you.
I believe you should slow down, I noticed you were measuring a case with wild guestimates, near the shoulder, close to the middle etc., It would appear I am the only reloader that measure a case and determine the difference between the diameter of the case and diameter of the chamber.

And then there is that part where the metal expanded and did not recover, to be honest I am past being able to take you seriously.

F. Guffey
Old February 17, 2018, 07:44 PM   #108
Yosemite Steve

Quote:
It would appear I am the only reloader that measure a case and determine the difference between the diameter of the case and diameter of the chamber.
If you want to share knowledge say, "If you measure your case diameter and your chamber diameter the difference might mean (insert meaningful words here)"