The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 27, 2020, 10:24 AM   #1
WillmannJohn

Q/A with G96 About their Products

I apologize if this is not the correct subforum for this question, but would appreciate informed responses from G96 product users:

I've been reading a lot of good things about G96 products and have some questions for experienced G96 users.

1) What is the difference between "Synthetic CLP Gun Oil" and "Gun Treatment" and, for that matter, "Firearm Cleaner/Degreaser" ... do they all clean the weapon the same way, and thoroughly?

2) Do I understand that Gun Treatment would be the last product to apply after a thorough cleaning to prevent corosion, etc.?

2) Crud Buster ... does it do what non-chlorinate brake cleaner does?

3) Bore Solvent....should I use this rather than CLP when cleaning my firearms? I understand I'll need to neutralize it after use and have Kroil oil for that. I understand how it works in the bore, but was wondering about using it otherwise (the smell is, as Ron Burgundy would say, "a formidable scent"), or is it only for bore cleaning.

4) Where does their Silicon Spray fit in with everything above?

Thanks for your comments on this.

Last edited by WillmannJohn; September 30, 2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old September 27, 2020, 01:26 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

For many, many years people used oil to clean and preserve their firearms. Plain old oil.
So:
1: Don't know the difference between their "gun oil" and "gun treatment. Degreaser would be used to REMOVE OIL.Don't know why you would need that in maintenance other than for a detail cleaning involving disassembly.

2: Maybe. Depends on what the label says.

2 (2): Crud Buster- same stuff as brake cleaner.

3:I have never seen bore solvent that needs to be neutralized. I wouldn't use one that did.

4: Just another lubricating/protecting tool in the box.

I might suggest that the CLP might be all you need, except for unusual circumstances. G96 wants you to spend your money with them.
Old September 27, 2020, 01:40 PM   #3
WillmannJohn

As I indicated in the OP, I'm looking for G96 users to post responses with informed opinions.

Last edited by WillmannJohn; September 27, 2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old September 27, 2020, 11:36 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I have used G 96 products. I see nothing about them that is any better than any other product.
And, my opinions are pretty darned informed.
Old September 28, 2020, 06:08 AM   #5
WillmannJohn

1) What is the difference between "Synthetic CLP Gun Oil" and "Gun Treatment" and, for that matter, "Firearm Cleaner/Degreaser" ... do they all clean the weapon the same way, and thoroughly?

2) Do I understand that Gun Treatment would be the last product to apply after a thorough cleaning to prevent corosion, etc.?

2) Crud Buster ... does it do what non-chlorinate brake cleaner does?

3) Bore Solvent....should I use this rather than CLP when cleaning my firearms? I understand I'll need to neutralize it after use and have Kroil oil for that. I understand how it works in the bore, but was wondering about using it otherwise (the smell is, as Ron Burgundy would say, "a formidable scent"), or is it only for bore cleaning.

Old September 29, 2020, 10:02 AM   #6
WillmannJohn

Any thoughts on the differences between various G96 products?
Old September 29, 2020, 10:49 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

I’ve been using G96 Gun Treatment for around forty years or so. I got a pre-packaged cloth years ago that G96 offered as a silicone treatment for preventing rust on guns. It worked so well that when the cloth went “dry” I purchased a can of the G96 Gun Treatment and kept spraying the cloth and using it. Over the years I’ve used this product on every gun I have. I have never, I repeat NEVER, had a spot of rust appear on any gun I own. I own two Turnbull rifles and they advised me to use this product on those guns to protect and maintain the finish on the guns. I told them “I already do use it”. Those guns are also pristine. It works very well as a lubricant, but some other things are better. It’s not a great cleaner, other products work better. However, I have found nothing works better to protect the finish on your guns metal or wood surfaces than this product. I buy it in 4 can cases and I’ve given it to all my friends and they all agree it’s a great product.
Old September 29, 2020, 10:58 AM   #8
WillmannJohn

Thanks, good to know. I just picked up several cans of the Gun Treatment.

I also purchased their bore solvent, and their CLP Synthetic.

I was just curious to know what the differences are amongt their various products, thanks for shedding some light.

Chris Bartocci of Small Arms Solutions is a big fan as well.
Old September 29, 2020, 04:36 PM   #9
darkgael

Lots of overthinking taking place.
The two most often mentioned “ ood” gun oils/treatments are Ballistol and Break Free CLP.
I have used both and have both on the shelf still. I also use Eesox (a synthetic) and a couple that I cannot remember the name of. They all work. The vocabulary describing each may change; that does not make one more or less effective than another.
Want a good buy in a gun oil.....try Mobil One 5w-20.
Old September 30, 2020, 07:20 AM   #10
WillmannJohn

I'm only interested in specific responses to my questions about specific G96 products. I guess I'll just ask the G96 folks.

I did not want or intend for this post to be yet another Internet dumpster fire discussion on gun oils, cleaners, etc.
Old September 30, 2020, 07:44 AM   #11
WillmannJohn

I just sent the questions off to G96 and will post their response.
Old September 30, 2020, 09:53 AM   #12
WillmannJohn

I just spoke to Andy of G96 and he ran through my questions. Very helpful answers:

Gun Treatment has been around forever and is recommended now primarily for AR-15 and below.

Gun Treatment is basically their basic, oldest gun oil in aerosol form.

Gun Treatment is petroleum based as is their non-synth CLP/Gun Oil.

Synthetic is better for heavy use military weapons. Synthetic is designed to work in harsher climates, more extreme temperatures, PLUS for higher round count use through small arms.

Synthetic is better for corrosion, particularly in salt water/humid environments, high volume rounds count.

Gun Treatment is better at removing surface rust, bit of an advantage there.

Synthetics also have some wear inhibitors to give the oil some extra strength for longer sustained firing purposes.

Gun Treatment has been around a long time, was used in Vietnam.

Once you move past past the standard AR ... go synthetic. Regular civilian use, no difference.

Recommends their grease products for higher round count applications, particularly full auto in the AR and machine guns.

Their degreaser is water based, used to clean metal before any application of lube. Does a great job cleaning off junk from plastic furniture, etc.

It also does a great job cleaning carbon at the actions, cleans it all up well, we do not market it that way because it is water based so if you do not dry it up all the metal you applied it to, it will rust. Must be followed up with protectant, etc. Most parts internally are untreated steel, so use the degreaser, but always apply Gun Treatment or synth CLP, etc.

2) Do I understand that Gun Treatment would be the last product to apply after a thorough cleaning to prevent corrosion, etc.?

Yes, either Gun Treatment or the CLP/oil.

3) Crud Buster ... does it do what non-chlorinate brake cleaner does?

Similar to non-chlorinated brake cleaner, evaporation is different and it is propelled more strongly, but same function. Must follow up with lubricant.

4) Bore Solvent....should I use this rather than CLP when cleaning my firearms? I understand I'll need to neutralize it after use and have Kroil oil for that. I understand how it works in the bore, but was wondering about using it

Bore solvent is designed to remove heavy copper fouling, and other contaminants, you must follow up with oil on a clean patch and neutralize everything...potent scent. You can use it on other parts, but again, must follow up with oil (Gun Treatment works well as an aerosol).

Silicon Spray ... just using it on the outside of firearms for great upkeep of wood or metal. Interestingly, it is used with leather holster gear, on raw leather, when you work it in, it makes the draw better because it creates a very slick surface. On the outside finished leather, just maintains a nice shine, etc.
Old September 30, 2020, 09:29 PM   #13
WillmannJohn

Bump up top for solid facts.

Last edited by WillmannJohn; September 30, 2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: facts