The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 2, 2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Handgunner00

Scratch Removal on Blued Handgun

Just acquired a vintage blued S&W semi-auto in mint condition - other than a small, faint, surface scratch on the right side of the frame. Is it possible for a professional firearm refinisher with hot bluing expertise to buff out this scratch?
Old March 2, 2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Bluing is extremely thin and can't be buffed out the way an automobile paint finish is. Buffing the scratch out will have to be done with buffing compounds that will strip the surrounding finish. Once that has occurred, there is also no effective equivalent to the finish blending that auto body shops do, so, to look perfectly uniform, the whole gun should be repolished and refinished. At that point, for authenticity, you have to keep in mind hot bluing salts come in somewhat different formulations which is why, for example, Colt and S&W bluing doesn't have the same hue; the companies have developed their own proprietary blends of hot bluing salts. So, if you want it to look authentically restored, you should call S&W factory service and ask what they would charge to buff out the scratch and refinish the gun. I don't think that will be inexpensive, though, and you want to keep in mind that for collector value, the original finish, even with the scratch, has more value than a refinishing job does.

For myself, I am more interested in functional shooting guns than collector value in most cases. If the scratch is really small, rather than repolishing the gun, I would do something simple to camouflage it a little and protect it at the same time, like applying Brownells Oxpho-Blue with a toohpick or other fine applicator, being careful not to let it spread around and stain the original finish.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 3, 2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Handgunner00

Unclenick: Thank you for your thorough, informative, and clearly stated response. I'm now persuaded to ignore the scratch given its very minor affect on an otherwise flawless blued finish. And, as you indicate, functionality trumps surface appearance and this principle is especially applicable to this firearm. It is a rare S&W 52-2, with original box and papers, which has not been fired other than possible factory test firing. I've always heard S&W test fires all their firearms, so it is surprising to me that the barrel has a flawless chrome-like mirror finish inside and out. Thanks again for your invaluable response.
Old March 3, 2020, 10:04 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

There's only one way to remove to it in its entirety. You have to have it polished and reblued. Unless that is done, depending on light and angle, you can always see the scratch.

What I would do would be to remove the oil from the scratched area. With a clean toothpick, apply cold rust blue. All you're doing is camouflaging the scratch so it's not as prominent. The reapply oil.
Old March 3, 2020, 11:51 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

It sounds like a beautiful gun, and I would certainly leave its finish alone from the collectible standpoint if that matters to you.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 3, 2020, 02:40 PM   #6
Handgunner00

This Firing Line Forum exchange helped me with the tough decision we all contend with at some time: To shoot it or collect it. Well, my 52-2 will be well maintained in my collection.
Old March 3, 2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Most S&W autos have alloy frames. They are not blued, they are anodized.
That said, not much can be accomplished without complete refinishing. Leave it alone and learn to like it.
Old March 3, 2020, 09:26 PM   #8
Handgunner00

The S&W discussed here is an all steel blued Model 52-2 and its scratch has dropped down to a level below insignificant.
Old March 4, 2020, 01:12 PM   #9
SGW Gunsmith

^^^^^^Can't help but trust the judgement of someone who's actually seen the scratch, up close and personal, and "knows" the composition of what he has.
The Model 52 Smith is an "outstanding" handgun.
Old March 4, 2020, 01:28 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I kick myself in the behind for not buying one when they were cheaper. Now I don't even get to enjoy what I have.

Like others, enjoy it and don't worry about the scratch.
Old March 5, 2020, 09:59 PM   #11
Handgunner00

SGW Gunsmith: PM sent to you.

4V50 Gary: Yep, from time to time, we all take an agonizing look back at what firearms we should have bought and should not have sold.
Old March 6, 2020, 01:51 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

A 52 dates from 1961 onward. Current finishes are more black than blue. Your 52 is one of 'em. "Vintage" being in the eye of the beholder/owner.
Is the metal scratched or just the finish? Cold bluing will cover a scratch in the finish. If the metal is scratched, how deep it is will determine what can be done. Polishing may not be enough.
Old March 6, 2020, 04:32 PM   #13
Lavan

If it's a narrow shallow scratch, just wash the area in alcohol and put some cold blue on it with a Q-tip.
Will it remove it?
No.
Will it make it inconspicuous?
Yep.