The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 12, 2001, 01:25 PM   #1
Bob Locke

CO - Front Range get together

Anyone along the Front Range interested in getting together for a day of shooting and fellowship?
Old November 12, 2001, 01:35 PM   #2
Ceol Mhor

I'd definitely be interested if it's around Christmas, when I'm back home in Golden...
Old November 12, 2001, 01:37 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Nah! I'm still trying to get all our brass sorted/polished, my shooters cleaned ... & there's still the dishes.: p

Seriously, I've wanted to do that since I heard about TFL & found out about all the CO members .... oughta be a no-brainer.

But, don't most ranges have a visitor limitation, etc. & this beautiful weather's not gonna last forever ......

.... I think most every region's had a TFL-meet except CO ....
Old November 12, 2001, 02:51 PM   #4
jimpeel

Depends on where and when.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old November 12, 2001, 03:04 PM   #5
Zundfolge

If I can just find a job there and get moved to Colorado Springs, I'd definitely be up for a get together (but damn, nobody is looking for Graphic Designers there right now )
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old November 12, 2001, 03:54 PM   #6
Bob Locke

I'm thinking that something in the general vicinity of Denver would allow for the most folks to attend. Not too far from the Springs or Ft. Collins. Are there any public shooting ranges east of there? I'm sure we could manage the rest of it, but we need a place that could accomodate all of us and our "toys". Any of you folks who've been here for a while know of any off the top of your head? What are the restrictions as far as state parks go? There's Barr Lake state park out near Brighton.

As to timing, I think the first weekend in December would be about as quickly as we could pull something together. Definitely open to thoughts, though.
Old November 12, 2001, 07:15 PM   #7
Zak Smith

I'm from Fort Collins and would be up for it - depending on the date. Weekends around holidays are generally bad.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:02 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I know of at least a good 1/2 dozen in the NE CO area, there's quiate a few in the Springs & a bunch in the Denver area - a good 100+ miles betwixt the two cities.

May be we do a North/South deal & Denver can .... ahem, well the folks in Denver can go to whichever, or both. Probablly wouldn't line up on the same day ....
Old November 13, 2001, 12:02 AM   #9
Steve Smith

Definately!

I and another TFLer would be happy to help organize the CO get-together!

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old November 13, 2001, 01:09 AM   #10
Oak '58

Sounds great!

I just wrapped up my last road-trip
for this year, so I'm fairly flexible on
the date. I just moved out east to
Strasburg, haven't found a range out
this way yet. Did all my shootin' at
Cherry Creek State Park when we
lived in Centennial. Hope we can
work something out soon!
Old November 13, 2001, 04:36 AM   #11
sapienza

NOCO get-together?

Let's rock-and-roll. I could probably manage to haul along my brother, a sometimes-TFL lurker, too, if you're interested in a potential head-count.

sapienza
Old November 13, 2001, 07:44 AM   #12
Bob Locke

Seems to me that the only things we need to do are:

1.) Nail down a place and time, and

2.) Put the word out!

First or second weekend in December sound about right?

The big question in my mind is the "where" end of things. The rest will fall into place pretty easily once that's settled IMO. Need to focus ideas on that train of thought for a bit, fellas.
Old November 13, 2001, 09:06 AM   #13
WYO

I'd be interested if you wouldn't mind someone from north of the border.
Old November 13, 2001, 01:43 PM   #14
Larry Ashcraft

I'd certainly be interested, even though I'm quite a ways south. I've got plenty of relatives up north I could visit while I'm there.
Old November 13, 2001, 03:24 PM   #15
gyp_c2

...I'll hitch with whoever's goin' from Pueblo or the springs...Just say SOON!
Old November 13, 2001, 03:29 PM   #16
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I'll give a hollar at my range's (mumble) Chief-guy tonight & see what's allowable for group shoots & give a report back.

Assuming a weekend day (seems the most likely to pull in a few), it'll be a bit crowded. Buy hey! 30+ TFL-ers with all kinds of "what's the best to kill a Wookie-type rifles" ought to run 'em right off that range section - at the very least.

Back in a coupla .....
Old November 15, 2001, 08:07 AM   #17
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Your newest TFL moderator would be interested.

Labgrade.. wookie rifle?? That was funny.

Lock down a time. I'll try to make it. Anywhere between Fort Fun and the Springs works for me.

Rob
Old November 16, 2001, 08:35 PM   #18
justice4all

I would definitely try to make it, but with law school and weekend work it would depend on when and where. I'm in Gunbarrel, between Boulder and Longmont, and the only places I know of are off the road in the forest, and that wouldn't work.
Old November 16, 2001, 09:11 PM   #19
Coltdriver

Count me in
Old November 17, 2001, 06:15 AM   #20
Bob Locke

What's the general feeling on the second Saturday (the 8th) in December? That ought to work out pretty well as far as being right in between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I think the range we went to might be a little out of the way for the guys coming from anywhere south of Denver, labgrade. But if we can't come up with other ideas then we'll go with it. Need input from the guys in and around Denver about possible locations since that's the most central area and provides the easiest access. Otherwise we'll be looking at 1.) a lengthy travel for some folks, or 2.) a smaller crowd than we'd probably like. We need to nail down the place ASAP, because everything else is going to spin off of that.

Anything east of Denver off of I-70 that anyone can think of?

On Monday, I'm interviewing for the assistant manager position at my favorite restaurant in Greeley: Bubba's Bar-B-Que. If I get it, I may be in a position to help out with some great grub! Then again, putting me in charge of a BBQ place would be akin to having an alcoholic run a liquor store!

Let's do it this way: If you even think you might be interested, drop me an e-mail ([email protected]) in the next day or two and I'll assemble a mailing list. Then we can communicate more fluidly than everyone checking back on this thread every day or two for info. Anyone who wants to put something out after that can drop it to me and I'll forward it. If we go with the 8th, that gives us three weeks. Not a LONG time, but the CO TRT has certainly done more on shorter notice!

This has a LOT of potential for a TON of fun! I'm psyched!
Old November 17, 2001, 03:20 PM   #21
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Hmmm .....

So far = nuttin' concrete in the least from my end. Looks to be that I'll have to hit a board meeting, present what we're up to & get a thumbs up from the BoD. Next BoD meet isn't till mid-Dec - I just missed the last one this past Thurs.

I agree that something a bit more central (E of Denver area maybe) would be better than my range "up here" - would allow something a bit more convenient for all.

& yeah, "wookie-killers." I figure if we can bring even 1/4 of the stuff thought up in the "what if"-threads, we'll have ourselves some hum-dingers.

Bob, stick me on yer list just fer grins .....
Old November 17, 2001, 09:33 PM   #22
Bob Locke

You STAY on the list, pal!
Old November 18, 2001, 11:01 PM   #23
Cutter

Front Range Shoot

When I'm in Denver I usually con one of my buddies to go to the Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club's Defensive or Steel matches. They are usually a lot of fun and combination indoors and outdoors. I was hoping to drive down to Pueblo and do a 3gun match USPSA style if I could con my buddy to join me( want to use his Ar 15 and Benelli). I think the 3 gun is Dec. 22?
Cutter
Old November 21, 2001, 05:35 AM   #24
GotGun?

Hi folks,

Another CO lurker checking in here.
I do live in Boulder but please spare me the jokes,
I'm not from there originally.

I'll check with the Colorado Rifle Club (near Byers) about a group gathering.
They have a 1000 yd range but frown on 50 cal.
What "toys" did you guys have in mind ?

Speaking of toys - big toys -
the next 50 Caliber / Machine Gun Fun Shoot will be in May.
For those of you who missed the one in September,
it's just south of Ft Morgan.
Camping and food is available on site.

You can rent a spot on the line and rent your toy to others (if you like) -
or you can rent almost anything else or just spectate.
Full-auto Ma Deuce anyone ? Fired a 37mm lately ?

I'm editing the video for that show as we speak.
Some clips will be on my website soon.
Bookmark http://www.rmgo.org/ for dates or check with the
Fifty Caliber Shooters at the next gun show.

I'll ask about using the same property for a private gathering
but I suspect there may still be issues.

What sort of attendance numbers could we realistically expect ?
Old November 21, 2001, 10:05 AM   #25
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

GotGun?

Were you the guy with the professional camera/video equipment at the 50 cal shoot?

I was doing sign-in & general pokin' around for the Dudster ....