The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 30, 2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Mike19

3" or 4" OK for defense?

In a couple of months I will have saved enough money to buy my first revolver (I have several semi-auto pistols). I intend several uses for the revolver, including personal and home defense. I'm probably going to get a .38 Spl +P caliber.

My question: Will I be OK with a 3" or 4" barrel (should give me more accuracy for target shooting) or should I go with a snubnose for defense purposes?
Old May 30, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Water-Man

3" or 4" would be better for SD/HD.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:01 AM   #3
JimmyR

For self defense, any size revolver from 1 7/8" to 4" would be appropriate for defense, assuming you can safely carry and conceal (if needed/wanted) your weapon- any bigger just becomes generally cumbersome for most folks. People generally carry the snubbies because they are easier to carry, and often come in hammerless/shrouded hammer designs that minimize the pain of a hammer on your belly- something often not seen on the 3" or 4" models.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:18 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

I no longer like the snubbies, it's either 3 or 4 inch barrels for me now. Carrying the longer barrel is not a problem for me. They just point better in my hands.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:02 AM   #5
skidder

Since this is your first revolver, I would go with a 3" or 4". This barrel length will give you a broader range of service.

A snub serves more of a specialty purpose. Something you can always pick up later.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old May 31, 2013, 03:50 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

A snub to a 4" barrel is fine of self defense or home defense. The 3" to 4" makes a better range gun or home defense gun and a snub makes a better carry self defense gun.

If you are going to carry concealed, I'd go with the snub. If this isn't a carry gun, I'd go with at least a 4" barrel.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:52 AM   #7
MLeake

For dedicated pocket or tucked carry, the snub works better.

For belt carry and general shooting, I find 3"-4" to be the sweet spot for balance and pointability.

I have revolvers ranging from a 1-7/8" 442 to a 6" 629, but my favorite shooters are 3".

Snubs are a little harder to learn on; 6" are not easy to conceal, and can be a pain to carry in general.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:23 AM   #8
micromontenegro

I've found that for me, carrying a 3-4" is the same as carrying a 2" in like-framed revolvers. The barrel really adds very little "bulk".

Shooting is another story altogether. The 3-4" is miles away easier to shoot well. Again, for me. YMMV.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:36 AM   #9
jmr40

I wouldn't go shorter than 4" if it is for an all around gun. 2-3" would be a better choice for a single purpose SD carry gun. If you already have other guns better suited for SD, then get a longer barrel on the 38. It will be about perfect for range use and home defense. Still a viable choice in a small or medium framed revolver for carry.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Hammer1

If you have other guns (the semi-autos you mentioned) that you carry for self-defense...

And the revolver is for target shooting and home defense...

Consider a 6-inch revolver.

Easier to shoot and more horsepower with any given load.

Old May 31, 2013, 10:03 AM   #11
SgtLumpy

I'm not convinced that longer bbls are "more accurate".

When I shoot, the front sight of my snub is ~ 28 inches from my dominant eye. The front sight of my 4" is 2 1/8 inches farther. A 6" bbl would be 2 inches farther than that etc. The rear sights are not in focus in any guns I shoot, as it should be.

Shooting, for me at least, is an extension of my arm. I point the arm and everything attached to it, fingers, gun, sights, all go the same direction of wherever I'm pointing. Corrections, to bring the sights on target, don't come from bending the wrist to manipulate the rear to front sight alignment. Corrections come from moving my ENTIRE arm, from the shoulder or even further back, my entire upper body, abs, pelvis etc.

Even if bbl length WERE a factor in accuracy, because the shooter didn't use his entire "pointing arm" as I do, it wouldn't be a factor in any realistic self defense scenario. You're not shooting quarter sized dots at 50 yards. You're shooting man sized torsos at 3-4-5 yards. And you're probably not doing much aiming with the sights at all.

I am really good with a revolver. I'm not EXTRA really good with a longer revolver. 1 7/8 to 8 3/8, my bullets go where I point. In fact, the longer, heavier guns create a little bit BIGGER wobble zone and for that reason might even be LESS accurate at long, single action, non-rapid fire distances.

Sgt Lumpy
Old May 31, 2013, 02:24 PM   #12
BigJimP

I find the 4" guns way easier to shoot .....the longer sight plane, makes a big difference to me...( and I'm not any slower in tactical drills out of a holster with a 4" than I am with a snubbie) / like drawing out of a holster and a double tap on a target at 15 feet - 30 Feet between 3 and 4 sec for an average shooter usually.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Mike19

I am the original poster. Thanks everyone for your input.

I'll probaly go with a longer barrel (not more than 4"). I use my SIG P238 for concealed carry.

I'm hoping to save enough money for a Ruger or a S&W.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:29 PM   #14
BigJimP

Personally I have S&W models 19's and 66's ( both K frames) and both in 4" versions....and an L frame model 686 in a 4" ....all three models are worth looking at when you find them at a gunshow or a used gun shop.

and they're good values when you find a clean one...(in my opinion).
Old May 31, 2013, 05:01 PM   #15
savit260

In my opinion, there is no better all around gun for the average person than a 4" mid frame 357/38 Special revolver. Big enough to be nice to shoot at the range... compact enough where it's a breeze to carry/conceal with a quality holster/belt combo.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Kev

I agree with Savit.
A nightstand gun doesn't need to be a snubby if that is its sole purpose.
Also glad he mentioned a 357. As I was thinking you were specifically seeking a 38 only
Old June 4, 2013, 04:49 PM   #17
ccwnut

I personally would go for the GP100 or the SP101 if Ruger. But if it's S&W, the Model 28 fits the bill nicely.
Old June 4, 2013, 05:01 PM   #18
MLeake

The OP's first post said "personal and home defense." To me, this implies the possibility or even likelihood of carry, so I am not sure why people are recommending 6" barrels, or N frames such as the Model 28.

(N frames can be carried concealed; I have done so; however, it requires heavier clothing and doesn't work so well for small people. OP didn't mention his size.)

For the uses the OP seemed to suggest, I would think nothing larger than a 4" L frame or GP100, and personally think a 3" GP100, L frame, or K frame would be a better idea.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:53 PM   #19
Bart Noir

He lives in Florida!

So lets push him towards stainless. He'll need it.

It's all a compromise. 3-inch smaller butt revolvers carry better, 4-inch larger butt revolvers shoot better. Whether he needs the "shoots better" quality is up to him. My experience is that 3-inch will do the job at 15 yards or closer.

And just since nobody mentioned them, there are some interesting guns from South America now being produced. I've seen a 6-shot Rossi snubbie in stainless which is essentially the size of the Colts Detective Special, so it is today's version of the expensive and rare Magnum Carry. The grip fits my hand like it was molded there.

Rossi sixgun

And there is a 7-shot stainless Taurus snubbie which is about the size of a K-frame fixed sight gun.

Taurus 7-shooter

And if you want smaller, this Taurus is almost as small as a J-Frame but holds 6 rounds:

Taurus sixgun

Now I can see this thread turning into Taurus bashing, which will include Rossi since T. owns R. And since all I mention above are 2-inchers, I offer up a 2.5-inch 5-shooter, in .44 Special

Charter Arms Bulldog .44

Bart Noir
Old June 4, 2013, 07:13 PM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
My question: Will I be OK with a 3" or 4" barrel (should give me more accuracy for target shooting) or should I go with a snubnose for defense purposes?
It is a matter of compromises. I had a 657 (41 mag.), with a six inch barrel that worked very well for hunting and loaded way down, for bowling pin (steel) shoots. I have since sold it (fool that I am). I have tried to achieve the accuracy I had with four inch barreled guns to no avail. I am convinced the longer sighting radius allowed me to shoot it better.
For self-defense, a six inch would not be very easy (damned hard) to conceal and unpleasant to carry where as a snubbie or even 3-4 inch barrels would be more practical. Nevertheless, self defense has nothing to do with target shooting, other than frequent practice. But, do not expect to go to a formal target shoot and win with your snubbie. Furthermore for defense, it is arguable the the treat will likely be within the average distance (21 feet, or in your face), that statistics show for such situations and you do not really need a long sight radius. In short, do not buy a snubbie, 3 inch and expect a "target" gun. Elmer Keith claimed that he shot as well with a four inch as a six inch, but I certainly cannot and doubt if many else can make that claim. It makes sense to choose a gun with a barrel length that is best for what you intend on using it for.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #21
Deaf Smith

Mike,

If you can find a older 2 1/2 inch S&W M66 Combat Magnum or M686 like below you will be in heaven.

In fact look at the picture.
Everyone of them shown would be an excellent carry gun.
Notice the relation in size.

From the top..

Ruger SP101 DAO 2 1/4 inch bbl .357 magnum 5 shot
S&W M66 2 1/2 combat magnum .357 magnum 6 shot
3 inch Ruger GP100 .357 magnum 6 shot
S&W M60 2 inch Chiefs .38 Spl. (J frame) 5 shot
S&W 686 2 1/2 'Distinguished Combat Magnum' .357 magnum 6 shot
2 inch S&W 64 .38 Spl. 6 shot
2 3/4 inch Ruger Speed Six. .357 magnum 6 shot
2 inch S&W 640 .38 Spl. (J Frame) 5 shot
Ruger Security Six 2 3/4 inch bbl. .357 magnum 6 shot
and S&W 65 'Lady Smith' 3 inch .357 magnum 6 shot

Any and all will do to ride the river with.

Deaf
Old June 5, 2013, 09:43 PM   #22
s4s4u

A 3" barrel is no harder to hide than a 2" barrel. An inch or two matters most when there are few inches to work with. Avoid anything DAO as a first wheelgun.
Old June 5, 2013, 09:47 PM   #23
prm

Snubs are great... I had owned both Colts and S&Ws and they all are the pinnacle of modern revolver craft. For this post, I'll limit it to S&Ws since they are still in production and parts are readily available.

Pic 1, is my Model 60-9...sweet. Unfortunately my wife laid claim to it :-(. Oh well, she's a shooter, and when MaMa's happy :-).

Pic 2, was it's replacement. A first year issue Model 649. Nice, accurate pocket gun. Super in all aspects. Everybody should own a "hump back." With the Model 49 and 649, you have the shroud, but can still fire single action.

Pic 3, About a year ago I came across an unfired 1978 production Model 36-1, round butt, heavy barrel. It was love at first sight, and it quickly soared to the top of the list of my carry guns. Strong side, high rise belt carry, it conceals as easily as a 2 inch. The three inch heavy barrel really tames the recoil of the .38 Special. The Model 36 really has its stainless counter parts outclassed as far as smoothness and trigger pull. If I could only on one gun, it would be this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1469.jpg (91.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1697.jpg (85.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg pix675082134.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
Old June 6, 2013, 03:53 AM   #24
Old Stony

In deference to a previous opinion, pass on the South of the Border stuff and pick up a " good " revolver to start with. A good used S&W "K" frame is hard to beat in any barrel length and is made from good machined parts. Don't fall for the cheap price and get something you will be sorry about later. A good Smith or Ruger can be a joy to have fun with as well as a defense gun and you won't have to be trying to find someone to work on it all the time.
Old June 6, 2013, 05:20 AM   #25
MLeake

DAO snubs are harder to shoot than many other types, but that doesn't mean they are all that hard to shoot, given practice (and a lot of dry fire).

From Chapman hold; dominant hand for head shots, weak hand for torso.

Note the difference in size between the J frame above, and the N frame below; the Model 28 that was suggested is the .357 N frame, this one is a Model 29 .44:

This gun is a bobbed Model 13-3 3" .357; it isn't technically DAO, since the sear is stock, but cocking the hammer would pose a challenge. 60 rounds at 10 yards says DA is not a big deal, again, with practice:

The stainless version of that one is the Model 65; this one is my wife's: