The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 20, 2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Shoes

Exchanging outdoor experiences

I am looking for someone who would like to exchange a hog hunt for a salmon fishing trip on the Great Lakes (Lake Michigan), leaving out of Chicago.

My thought would be that you would fly or drive to Chicago and stay in my guest room (to save money). My partner and I would take you out on the lake and do our best to put you on the fish. Of course, we can never guarantee success, as I would not expect success from you.

My thought is that we'd have a great time, on the cheap, and meet some great people along the way.

BTW - I caught a 19.5lbs Steelhead on Easter Day and we GPS'd the spot.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same kind of thought????

Shoes
Old December 21, 2011, 03:40 PM   #2
markj

Ah the coho, used to fish the lake when I lived in Blue Island in 1970...
Old December 21, 2011, 06:57 PM   #3
warbirdlover

Quote:
BTW - I caught a 19.5lbs Steelhead on Easter Day and we GPS'd the spot
We went out of Racine and my 11 year old daughter (back then) reeled in a 31 lb. laker, all by herself!

Hope you connect with someone!
Old December 21, 2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Rembrandt

Afraid fishing isn't my game....but I might be interested in trading an Iowa Whitetail hunt for a bow or black powder Elk hunt.
Old December 21, 2011, 11:33 PM   #5
Shoes

Come'on guys....

Whitetail in IOWA are HUGE!!!! An elk hunter might want to help Rembrant out on this one. I'm sorry we dont have Elk here.

Shoes
Old December 22, 2011, 04:43 PM   #6
markj

Quote:
Whitetail in IOWA are HUGE!!!!
Um yes they are. World record is from Iowa. Neighbor showed me a pic of a buck might score 250 or so on his game cam. Had my eyes re done so I can hunt again now, muzzelloader is upon us...

I would do a elk hunt for a deer hunt or turkey.
Old December 22, 2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That would be cool. Someone started a similar thread a couple years back. I don't know if he ever got any takers.

I'd love to do something like this but the only thing I could offer that I have any confidence in is a public land pheasant hunt on birds released by DEC. I doubt anyone would trade much for something like that.

I could offer a deer hunt... if anyone's dreaming of a chance at a 100 inch buck.
Old December 23, 2011, 12:43 AM   #8
Shoes

I'm thinking that the American Rhinosourus (feral hog) will have to inhabit Illinois for me to get my shot,,,, I'm a patient man,,,

Shoes
Old December 23, 2011, 10:29 PM   #9
columbia_shotguneer

Fair hunting experience here; I had built a makeshift blind in Northern GA one year while I was hunting deer near a rivine. The blind you could not see visibility through the vegetation more than 25 yards. I heard the sound of what sounded more like a rabbit distress call and later on ended with me mimicking the call to get the old doe in range. She must have been looking for her fawn I suspect but weird sound indeed. At that time I was 12 or 13 years old and the doe got so close I was having a sad moment shooting her that close. She ended up field dressing at 145 lbs.
Old December 24, 2011, 08:19 AM   #10
mquail

I would have offered a pheasant hunt in trade for a hog hunt. Sadly so much CRP went out here and along with a very wet spring the bird numbers where I live are way down. That doesn't mean they aren't around here it means it would be hard to get a limit. A couple of years ago the wild birds were so numerous a party was hunting to the s of the house. I stopped to watch them when the shooting started. They got 25 birds in the time it takes to write this. A couple landed by my truck and walked into the CRP. Not anymore, here. These guys have been selling a lot of hay so they cut everything they could which meant lots of good pheasant cover was shipped S.

I could offer a grouse hunt on public land but I doubt anyone would be willing to do that. Strangers sharing a pop up without the benefit showers, I doubt it. The boy just got out of the Army so we shot some grouse and staying in the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1681.jpg (60.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1676.jpg (51.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by mquail; December 24, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old December 24, 2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Shoes

That is a nice looking grouse!!! I just may take you up on a grouse hunt for trip on the Lake Michigan. And if perhaps we dont get any fish, you'll have a fantastic view of the skyline of Chicago.
Old December 24, 2011, 06:55 PM   #12
mquail

"That is a nice looking grouse!!! I just may take you up on a grouse hunt for trip on the Lake Michigan. And if perhaps we dont get any fish, you'll have a fantastic view of the skyline of Chicago."

Appreciate the offer. We got into a couple of flocks of sharptails with 50 or more birds.