The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2007, 05:01 AM   #1
Stargazer

Lock expander tube in Lee die to prevent the "bump"...?

I use a set of 38/357 Deluxe die set to reload with. That down stroke expander bump is driving me crazy! How does one lock that sucker into place so the die just expands the mouth, not shake my reloading table to pieces? There must be a collar or another tube that goes in the expander die to prevent that floating bump it gives? I can see where it is a good idea if using a progressive type reloader to help shake the powder through the die, but I am a single stage sort of reloader and that down stroke pull/bump is not needed or wanted.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I had sent an email to Lee to ask how to de-bump this die and that email got returned. Message said I was on a SPAM exploitable server. Time Warner Road Runner is a SPAM exploitable server?

M70 Web Page
Old August 19, 2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Branspop

I don't have the bump problem.
Old August 19, 2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Crosshair

I use Lee dies and I have no idea what you are talking about? How does the die shake your table? The only "Bump" I have is when the case bulls free from the expander die, but that doesn't even shake the press.
Old August 19, 2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Stargazer

Crosshair, It is the "pull" from the die that I am calling the "bump". Lee floats there expander tube so it will purposedly have that strong "pull" when the case is exiting the die so it will shake the die/measure attached to it, to facilitate powder dropping through the die. It is worse when the cases are brand new as they do not have any powder residue to act as a dry lubricant when the case pulls from the expander die.

From what I have read/learned not "all" Lee expander dies are this way, only those intended to be used with a progressive reloading set up. I don't think ALL Lee expander dies have the hollow top to them to screw on the measure, do they? So wonder how I make this tube NOT "float" in the die. I want this die to act like my RCBS expander dies, insert case, mouth gets belled and then case basically drops free. Not have to be "jerked/pulled/or bumped" free from the die.

M70 Web Page
Old August 19, 2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Crosshair

Oh, OK. Now I get it.

No, all Lee pistol dies have the floating expander ball. The expander ball operates the powder measurer. The "pull" or "bump" is just the case pulling free from the ball. You would have to go with an RCBS expander die if you want to loose the bump.
Old August 19, 2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Lubricate the inside of the case neck with graphite or motor mica.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 19, 2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Sigma 40 Blaster

Polish/clean the part of the die that gets inserted into the "mouth" of the case or back your flare off a little bit.

Worked for me.
Old August 19, 2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Stargazer

I've backed it off about as much as I can and still get a bullet to go inside. This AM I did (100) rounds so every 20th round I would lube the new case necks with a Q-tip that had case lube dripped on it. Then after expanding wipe it out of that case and then the next 20 or so weren't so bad. With fired cases it isn't so bad as the residue lubes it a bit but new ones were trying to stick on me.

This batch of new Winchester cases had a thin film of some sort of thick black grease on them. I had to wipe that mess off as my fingers were turning black with it all over them. Next time they get a run through the tumbler which will leave a fine powder residue inside the case to facilitate expanding and get that black grease off of them. They don't have to be real shiny or anything but I do not want a film of grease on them for a number of reasons.

M70 Web Page
Old August 19, 2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Humdinger

How to get rid of the bump

Sigma 40 Blaster gave the correct answer to your problem. Here's a way to make the bump go away immediately. Take out the expander die and remove the plug that pushes the powder drop. Use a spray can of brake cleaner/degreaser or a can of gun cleaner/degreaser and squirt some directly on the expander ball. My expander die will stick after it accumulates residue inside from many previous cases that leave traces of gunk behind. Most brake cleaners and gun parts degreasers evaporate quickly but to be safe you should wipe the inside out with a clean rag and let it dry for a few minutes before reassembly. My .45LC cases started to get hard to pull out of the die but after cleaning the die in the prescribed manner it is smooth as butter again. Be sure you aren't excessively belling the case mouth as well. This could also contribute to or be the problem. You should open the case barely enough to accept a bullet without shaving the bottom but not enough to overwork the brass and prematurely create split necks. Clean the inside of the expander die with an aerosol degreaser, adjust the opening and your problem will disappear.
Old August 19, 2007, 05:50 PM   #10
JoeHatley

You may want to lightly champher the inside of the case mouth.

Joe
Old August 19, 2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Stargazer

I took the die apart tonight and indeed it was very dirty in there. I used Break Free Powder Blast as it is safe for hands and blasted all of that crud out of the expander tube and the die body itself. No more cases to reload today so next time hopefully it releases a little smoother. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips guys!

M70 Web Page
Old August 20, 2007, 11:05 AM   #12
crazylegs

Stargazer, are you using a progressive press? If so, what you are feeling could be the FCD (factory crimp die). That die does come with the Deluxe die set if I'm not mistaken.
Crazylegs
Old August 20, 2007, 12:40 PM   #13
Stargazer

Crazylegs, no, I am a single stage sort of reloader. I do have the deluxe set which comes with the FCD, love that sucker too! I just had some brand new cases and they stick in the expander die way more than dirty or tumbled cases do as they are so clean inside. I cleaned out the die and hopefully next time I reload, in a week or so, it will be better.

M70 Web Page
Old August 20, 2007, 07:29 PM   #14
TATER

Here is the fix-all. got one myself.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=140461

HTH
Tater
Old August 21, 2007, 09:39 PM   #15
BigJakeJ1s

Lyman also has expander "M-dies" with very good reputations. I like mine. They are well finished and don't hang up on the case. They are not hollow. Lyman also makes a powder through expander die set that you can dump the powder through, but the expander does not float, and does not automatically activate the powder measure.

Andy
Old August 22, 2007, 05:58 AM   #16
Alleykat

Take that freshly-cleaned die and lube it with dry moly. (the same stuff that one uses to coat bullets) It won't bump as much, when lubed.