The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2006, 01:19 AM   #1
Fremmer

What Did You Learn From This Deer Season?

If you hunted deer, you either got lucky and got one, or you didn't. Either way, let us know what you learned about hunting deer this Season.

This is what I learned:

1. You have to be ready at any time to freeze, and then to take a quick off-hand shot.

2. In the morning, deer like to go where the sun is shining and the area is a little warmer. If you are in a dark, cold, and windy area, don't be surprised if you don't see any deer. Only a crazy hunter would be in such a place.

3. Good gloves make a real difference. I bought a pair on sale from Cabela's online, and my hands were a lot warmer. If you don't have a good pair, find a deal online.

4. A good broadside shot to the shoulder will put a deer down hard. You'll lose the shoulder meat, but one shoulder and the rest of the deer in-hand beats a whole deer in the bush.

5. I really need to mount my new scope, and I'm wondering whether the Leupold rain-resistant scope lens screw-on caps would help prevent fogging if someone were to say...um...sort of exhale directly on the rear lens.
Old November 25, 2006, 03:15 PM   #2
JKump

That deer are alot like women, you can never figure them out.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old November 25, 2006, 03:57 PM   #3
Ammo Junky

You have to be comfortable. If I start squirming and hurting, Ill be back in the hunting trailer soon. If I can be pain free, I can enjoy the squirels etc.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old November 25, 2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Jseime

-That my cousins cant shoot for [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]
-That I ended up having to finish off two wounded deer that my cousins shot in the rear end to avoid losing the deer
-That my Ruger in .270 and my 130 grain handloads hit deer so hard that they dont go more than 20 yards before piling up and usually fall over on the spot
Old November 25, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Fremmer

Wow, Jse, the cousins don't sound like they're working out for hunting.
Old November 25, 2006, 11:44 PM   #6
harleybabe69

what have I learned??

That I need to put more carpet down in the hayloft to silence my steps and that I need to push the hay elevator completely out of the loft so I don't have to climb over it!
Old November 26, 2006, 02:11 AM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Dont forget to retreat my boots with water proof sealant for each season. I forgot this year and it pored down rain. Wet feet suck.

Pack more water for long hikes. If you decide to keep going further than you anticipated (like I often do) remember to pack extra drinking water.

This year I noticed that the deers eye sight seems to suck. But their sense of smell is awsome. Maby it was the area I was in but if I was relatively still I could sit and watch many a deer if the wind was in my favor.

Also I must learn the difference between a llama and a deer before going out next year. What is it?
Old November 27, 2006, 01:15 AM   #8
Jseime

Ah, its not as bad as it sounded i was just venting a bit.
Old November 27, 2006, 09:25 AM   #9
FirstFreedom

Let's see....

-slow stalking can work, but it has to be *slower* than I previously would walk. 3-4 slooow steps, stop for 20-30 seconds; repeat.
-when first "semi-busted" (detected) during slow-stalk, hit the grunt call immediately, to placate the deer. I actually had the call in my mouth like a cigar to be ready while slow stalking. Dunno if that was the difference or not, but possibly it was, because the deer didn't flag when I bumped them. In reality, what probably made the difference (if anything) is that prior to that, I would hit the grunt every few minutes when I stepped on a stick and made a big crack noise, so they thought I was a deer coming. A turkey mouth call could substitute for grunt call here.
-rut dates can vary widely from year to year, it seems.
-If possible, make a WIDE arc to get the wind in your favor when making your way to your stand in the morning dark. By wide, I mean staying a minimum (ideally) of 1/8th mile from any spot that would put you upwind or even crosswinds with 100 yards of where you think the deer are hanging out at night (such as your feeder). I was busted twice in the dark by not swinging out a wide enough arc and coming too close to the hot spot. Along these lines, if there's very little wind, you must get your butt out of bed a couple hours before the first light, depending on how far you're going, in order to have time to slow-stalk to your spot, not crash through the woods noisily.
-to echo "you have to be comfortable" - yep, don't waste your time and money on stands that don't have plenty of comfort factor - from now on, for me, if I get a stand, it'll either be of the tripod type, or of the 2-man buddy ladder stand type - ones which I can drape material around for a blind, and which have room to get comfy and a comfortable seat. For archery, you have to be close, so you need to hunt *right* where the trails/sign are, which can vary from year to year, so that *would be* the biggest reason for having portable stands (strap-on, climbing), BUT as a substitute, blinds work fine for archery, *provided* you put them up three+ weeks prior to hunting, OR hide them well enough. And they're far more comfortable, and safer, too - no danged harnesses. And you don't make nearly the amount of noise getting into them - blinds rock! (combined with simple folding chair).
-Hunt during an all-day rain, *particularly* if it's been very hot & dry prior to the rain - the deer move like crazy in that situation.
-(as I mentioned in another thread) -Use neck shots. And shoot the doe first!
-It seems as though, in my area, in the summer, the deer would bed down in the bottom areas, in the weeds by water, but then feed up in the oaks on top, for the most part. But by the fall, it seems as if they were BOTH bedding and feeding up in those hardwoods - they rarely left. Why would you, if you've got both food and cover? I'm guessing that they bed by water in the summer, just because they have to make frequent trips to drink, and the less distance to cover, the better (less movement/exposure), whereas in the fall/winter, they don't need to hit the watering holes nearly as often. The point being, don't make your setup spot plans based on your theories derived from summer scouting and thus summer travel routes - they go out the window when it gets cooler.

Early archery-season specfics:

-do NOT hunt at all when the forecast high is over 75 degrees (87 deg high made for miserable afternoons). Stay home or scout the mornings and go home.
-do NOT hunt bottom areas where the mosquitoes are thick until (1) the first freeze has come, AND - not or - AND (2) forecast high is less than 55 deg - until then, stay up on high areas (unless VERY windy).
-also, see my lessons learned re: tracking, etc., posted previously here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=225914

Fremmer, you might want to look into Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 with the rainguard coatings on them (anti-fog, too).

Last edited by FirstFreedom; November 27, 2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old November 27, 2006, 01:12 PM   #10
NRA4life

If the camp has determined that we have killed enough deer already, DO NOT let Wyatt Earp (i.e my dad) go back out hunting or buy more tags.
Old November 27, 2006, 02:44 PM   #11
22-rimfire

I need a new pair of Lacrosse rubber boots that are a size larger. Still hunting and still hoping for a buck this year.
Old November 27, 2006, 03:09 PM   #12
FrontSight

That deer in Wisconsin do NOT move like deer in NY - waaaaaay more skitish and fast moving, gotta be ready at the drop of a hat to take a shot!
Old December 8, 2006, 10:59 AM   #13
BUGS BUNNY

just rambling

Deer in northern Pa was horrible and getting worse every year at least in my area, trying to keep my young sons interested is becoming more of the challenge, nowhere near as many deer as last year in my neck of the woods

opening day brought an ok 8pt to my stand, pumped up after running quite aways & being chased / shot at the first 2 hours of opening season, he snuck right up behind me and when i reached for the rifle he was on a dead run again, stopped about 150yds away while deciding which way to go, i rested my rifle on my sons treestand and sent a perfect heart shot his way. he simply vanished so i waited an hr while i was tormented by the fact i couldnt miss at 150yds, out of the stand i went looking, sure enough blood everywhere followed it into the woods and 40yds away laid the buck. perfect broadside heart shot with my tried & true handload. 1/4 inch entry hole half dollar sized exit hole.

over the years i find that deer that are pumped up will run regardless even with a fatal shot, while the same heart shot will drop a calm unsuspecting deer in his tracks.

trying to get my sons a shot at a buck has been impossible seems like not many deer left in my area, too many people taking doe, 5 - 6 doe on a 30 acre patch has really hurt the deer population, to me it is inconsiderate thoughtless greed & its the ones that have no land that are the worst.

my deer was ok size, 160lbs +/- we get back 43lbs of meat
dont seem to be worth killing an animal for that, at least in my mind it dont besides the labor, cost of butchering it & fuel to the butcher both times, so i wonder why people shoot doe, no trophy, no challenge, very little meat, what is the point in it for the adult hunter? i dont want to insult those here that do bag a doe just my insight on it & everyone is entitled to their thoughts.

so far my buck has been the biggest on 500 - 600 acre patch & its not the best i have taken over the years, but i am glad i took it seeing how things are so bad, the little rack will find a place on the wall with the rest of deer i have taken over the years & be a remembered as another sucessful season.

Sat will be the last day, i am hoping one of my sons can at least get a shot off to keep them interested.

good luck to everyone and thanks for posting those pictures

Old December 8, 2006, 01:37 PM   #14
Trapp

He he he

My gun season just started!!!
Old December 8, 2006, 02:39 PM   #15
Fremmer

Let us know what you learn, Trapp, and good luck!

Thanks for the comments and Picture, Buggs! Nice buck. Good shot!

Quote:
so i wonder why people shoot doe, no trophy, no challenge, very little meat, what is the point in it for the adult hunter? i dont want to insult those here that do bag a doe just my insight on it & everyone is entitled to their thoughts.
I'm a doe hunter. And here is why:

1. The biggest reason: I hunt on other people's property. If I tell them that I will only shoot a doe and not a buck, they let me hunt there. The landowners don't want us "city folk" coming onto their land, and shooting spikes or big bucks; fair enough (us beggers can't be choosers). They want the spikes to develop into big bucks, and they like to have the big bucks reserved for shooting by thier family. I've got no problem with that at all!

2. Shooting female deer helps to control the exploding deer population.

3. I hunt for meat, not for antlers. Doe meat tastes as good (if not better) than buck meat.

4. Shooting a doe is just as hard, if not harder, than shooting a buck. A doe is wary, and tends to hang out with other female deer, so you have multiple eyes, ears, and noses to contend with.

Anyway, just my humble opinion, and the reasons that I'm a dedicated doe hunter. I still envy your buck!
Old December 8, 2006, 03:02 PM   #16
Twycross

1). My luck is permanently gone.

2). Having rotten luck does not stop one from having a great time out in nature.

3). Does here are retarded. Bucks are tacticians of the highest order.

4). A glorious evening can brighten up even the foulest of moods, and just sneaking up on a doe can make your whole day.

Old December 8, 2006, 08:43 PM   #17
john1911

Carry a spare ramrod!
Old December 8, 2006, 09:00 PM   #18
Trapp

Gun season may be just starting....

(and lasting until Feb 14th!!!) , But I have learned a few things from muzzleloader and Bow season.

1: Blinds ROCK!! I have had deer withing 10yds not see me while I was moving around.
2: You can't move in a treestand or they will see you before you see them.
3: It's okay to kill a squirrel (still proud of my 20yd head shot with my bow) if you aren't seeing anything. I am not hunting to survive. I hunt for fun and hopefully to get some meat in the freezer.
4: Castnblast, I am with you here, Hunting is a lot better with your DAD!!! Mine passed away 2 yrs ago at the ripe old age of 45 (freak one in a million disease)
5: Hunting is just as great with your SON. Mine is 6. I just want to get a deer while he is with me. I don't care if I get only 1, just as long as he is there.
6: Two person blinds may sound comfortable, but they are not. At least the one from Sports Academy isn't!!
Old December 9, 2006, 09:37 AM   #19
dan20703

1. Pop-up blinds really work;
2. Carbon arrows are way better than I imagined;
3. I can shoot my bow great while standing but I suck from a sitting position;
4. Teaching a young person about hunting is more rewarding than actually getting a deer; and
5. Deer are wary but not really that smart.

"The gun is not the answer to all of your personal protection problems, but when you need a gun, you really need a gun."
Old December 9, 2006, 02:04 PM   #20
springmom

1) That my husband's a dang good shot (but I knew that already)

2) That getting sick in the middle of deer season is crummy.

3) That running into the dog and dislocating your little toe and being unable to walk without crutches is worse.

4) That I better get off my duff and get out to the woods or I'm gonna get skunked this year.

5) That I'm glad we have a management hunt coming up in January in case #4 doesn't end up happening

Springmom the limping (with a stupid dog)

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 9, 2006, 10:54 PM   #21
Fremmer

Keep trying, Springmom. You'll get one yet!

Plus I want to hear about how that 44 mag performs.
Old December 10, 2006, 12:00 AM   #22
chemist308

This year (early muzzleloader) I learned that it in the summer deer live in the woods. During deer season they go nocturnal and live in my yard. They also sleep on my neighbor's sandmound and show no concern whatsoever when I walk toward them. In the woods it's a different story.

Oh and Bugs,
Quote:
my deer was ok size, 160lbs +/- we get back 43lbs of meat dont seem to be worth killing an animal for that, at least in my mind it dont besides the labor, cost of butchering it & fuel to the butcher both times, so i wonder why people shoot doe, no trophy, no challenge, very little meat, what is the point in it for the adult hunter? i dont want to insult those here that do bag a doe just my insight on it & everyone is entitled to their thoughts.
You really need to be butchering yourself. Sounds like that butcher is not bothering to get all the cuts off. It's not hard to do yourself as I recently found out. And you can use a sawsall with a metal or a metal/wood blade where you're supposed to use a meat saw. And don't forget to save the liver and if possible the heart when you field dress.
Old December 10, 2006, 12:34 AM   #23
Twycross

Quote:
Sounds like that butcher is not bothering to get all the cuts off.
+1. You should have gotten more than just 43 lb. Butchering your own deer is actually pretty easy.
Old December 10, 2006, 04:07 AM   #24
Rembrandt

Season's not over yet, but so far I've learned that slob hunters outnumber the law abiding kind and there's not enough law enforcement to do the job.
Old December 10, 2006, 06:24 AM   #25
Pappy John

I learned that very close deer will key in on your eyes, even if you are motionless. I was sitting during turkey season and had three does come in close up-wind and start feeding. They became aware that something was there, but only stopped feeding and zoned in on me when I had my eyes completely open watching them. If I closed my eyes down to slits they would go back to feeding........open eyes, they stopped feeding and I got alert stares....closed eyes, back to munching. That went on for a half hour before they slowly moved off.

One of my better days in the woods. I wish that I had more like that.