The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 1999, 02:44 AM   #1
sjones

I just got into reloading and I reload for the 9mm and the 45colt. A friend wants me to reload him some 45acp's,can I use the 45colt dies for his caliber?I use a lee turret press. thanks sj
Old September 9, 1999, 04:37 AM   #2
Hal

Nope. You have to get another set of dies for the .45ACP. Case dimensions are different, and the crimping die uses a different,taper crimp, rather than the roll crimp of the .45LC. I just picked up a .45ACP dies set for mine. I would suggest if you load a fair amount of different calibers that you also get a spare turret. That way you can leave the dies in place, and just switch turrets to change calibers.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net
Old September 9, 1999, 01:18 PM   #3
Rod WMG

One thing to seriously consider (if the law/rulings haven't changed--and I doubt they have), if you reload for someone else, technically you are "manufacturing ammunition" in the eyes of the BATF and need an FFL. Also there are liability issues to consider if your "customer's" family decides to sue you when your "faulty" reloads maim him.

I advise avoiding reloading for others like the plague. If this is a good friend, invite him to your house and let him reload his own as you offer to help when necessary.
Old September 10, 1999, 01:00 PM   #4
Paul B.

Rod. If I understand the law at all, you can reload for someone else if they furnish the components.
Say your buddy has a couple boxes of 06 he wants done. He brings the brass over. Maybe he brings a bullet he wants to use. I think they only have to supply one component to be legal. I believe then it is legal for you to do so. You can call up your trustworthy BATF agent and ask. Truthfully, I have never had them tell me wrongly.
Liability wise? It's a good idea not to. Like you, I show them how it is done, and closely supervise what they do. Better safe than sued.
Paul B.
Old September 10, 1999, 02:38 PM   #5
Alan B

Thats my understanding too as long as they provide at least one componet usually the brass you are not breaking the law.
Old September 10, 1999, 03:14 PM   #6
sjones

You could be right,I never thought about something happening and getting sued.I sure don't need that.thanks a lot
Old September 11, 1999, 06:32 AM   #7
HankL

Follow Rod's advise. Teach your friend that he loves to trim brass and you will be in good shape!
Hank