The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 9, 2004, 10:47 AM   #1
MaNiFeSt

Noob here, with a question

hi, i just recently joined. Looks like a nice board you have here...

I recently got a job as a bodyguard for various celebrities, as u can imagine the money is good, but one of the requirements is that i have to carry. I have my permit and everything, and im in the process of buying a gun. It will most likely be a glock 30, since that is the gun that i've liked the most of the ones i shot.

My question to you is this, i will be carrying 3 guns. This may seem excessive but let me explain...

Some of these celebrities have genuine enemies who want them dead, and ahve already tried to make that happen. i'm NOT going to play around with my life, and i want to be as careful as possible. The fact of the matter is, if god forbid theres ever a situation where gun shooting occurs, i dont want to waste time having to reload, or not having an extra gun when i need it. Its my life, plain and simple...

so i was wondering if any of u guys could recommend a duel gun holster that is good, or a combination of two holsters that would provide comfortable holding at the hip. I will have two at my hip or shoulder and one at my ankle.

The only holsters i've see for duel guns where shoulder holsters, which is fine for when i have to wear a suit, but there are many instances where i will be required to wear street clothes, so a duel shoulder holster won't really be a good idea.

I'm not sure if it matters or not, but i'm a pretty big kid. 5'8, 210lbs. Not fat, muscle, so i dont know if that would be a factor in choosing the right combo of holsters..

i appreciate any help u can give. thank you
Old December 9, 2004, 12:19 PM   #2
mete

It's spelled 'newbie' but welcome anyway. A 'New York reload' is the drawing of a second gun rather than reloading the one you've emptied....Bodyguarding can be serious as the Columbus nightclub event of last night shows. The best thing you can do is to get the best training that you can find ,without that you're just wishing. ...Holsters are difficult to recommend since it depends on the size and shape of the wearer and the size of the gun. I think for me I would stick to all autos and of the same cartridge .One shoulder holster , one strong side behind the hip and one ankle.

Last edited by mete; December 9, 2004 at 05:15 PM.
Old December 9, 2004, 03:17 PM   #3
MaNiFeSt

yea i know its spelled "newbie" i typed it like that on purpose..

thanks for your advice. a buddy of mine said a small of back holster would probably be good for me because of my build. However, i've been unable to find a duel small of back gun holster.

The shoulder is good, but when wearing street clothes i cant use it. The guns have to be completely conceiled, and unless i'm wearing a jacket, a shoulder holster would be visable..

as for the guns, i'm getting 2 glock 30's. They're their compact version of their fullsize .45cal, and i'll have a small glock compact at my ankle.
Old December 9, 2004, 04:09 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I don't carry three guns except for Cowboy shooting, but I'll point out that a double gun rig does not have to be a symmetrical dual holster package deal. Leave that for westerns and Last Man Standing. I would wear one gun for the absolute fastest draw possible, likely straight draw strong side. I would place the other where I could reach it with either hand maybe near-MOB.

Think about the dress code. What will you have to wear guns under?
Think about a vest. There are holsters that attach to vest straps.
A second (third?) gun is the fastest reload, but you will want some extra ammo, too. Find a place for that. Likely weak side, what with guns on your strong side, back and ankle.

GET TRAINING.
About three levels of TR or GS, and specialized BG training after that. Taking care of your boss doesn't always mean shooting back.
Old December 10, 2004, 01:09 AM   #5
DarkKnight01

wow this is a good post, ive done some body guard work... tho never for celebrities... thats gotta be tuff... my advice is carry a IWB holster strong side, second weapon in a small of the back holster and third weapon on your ankle.... but if u actually get to drawing the weapon on your ankle your likely going to need more than a handgun... in this case i would recommend something larger... perhaps in the trunk of your vehicle a S.P.A.S 12 perhaps and an AR-15 with enuf ammo to win a war =) and even a heavy rifle caliber with a scope... maybe a .308 or 30-06 for long range targeting. sorry i cant offer more advice... stay safe bud and keep those celebs safe too.
Old December 10, 2004, 01:11 AM   #6
DarkKnight01

and oh yes, most importantly if u havent already, training training and more TRAINING ! no such thing as too much, get proficient with your weapons til they are second nature... and u can split the hair on a mosquito's head at 300 yards =) hehe ok thats going a bit far... but u get the point =)
Old December 10, 2004, 01:56 AM   #7
xmastree

I watched Face Off the other night. IIRC, Nicholas Cage wore a pair of gold plated 1911s behind his back, pointing down, slides together, butts apart. Sort of like a letter 'T'

I don't know how practical it is though, as it's a movie maybe it was more for show...

Oh, and to the O.P.
if you're searching the net for something, it's 'dual', not 'duel'...

Unless you plan to challenge your enemy to a duel...
Old December 10, 2004, 10:22 AM   #8
MaNiFeSt

thanks for all the responses guys..
Old December 10, 2004, 06:48 PM   #9
MaNiFeSt

Quote:
I watched Face Off the other night. IIRC, Nicholas Cage wore a pair of gold plated 1911s behind his back, pointing down, slides together, butts apart. Sort of like a letter 'T'
http://www.blackhillsleather.com/ch_bh01.html

yea thats the only one i could find that has that dual setup in the middle of back configuration. But like you mentioned.. I'm not sure if its that practical, it would be harder to draw a gun from your back then from your strong side..

regardless that holster i may consider, since it will work with street clothes while on the job
Old December 11, 2004, 01:59 PM   #10
Doerdie

If I was to carry 3, I would go with a IWB strong side, a belly band and an ankle holster. Small of the back is very uncomfortable to me, it seems to suit women better.
IMHO, I think that with some training and practice at combat shooting you will find that you can reload just as fast (probably faster) as drawing a second weapon. Check out some pistol competitions, you will see that folks change clip lightning fast. Its the funnest practice you'll ever have, too!
You may want to invest in a bit of body armor, there is some good lightweight stuff out nowadays, it helps out in fist-d-cuffs also.
Take a look at Banana Republic vests for street clothes concealment, they are nice for warm climate area. pair that with a OWB or IWB with spare mag holder and you'll not only be prepaired, you'll look damn nice to the ladies .
Old December 11, 2004, 02:43 PM   #11
HappyGunner

What works for me

I have a RM holster for my Glock23 and a Comp-Tac undercover Pro. slide for my 1911s both can be placed any where on my Gary Brommeland belt. Keeping my 1911 around on backside of strongside and Glock in front side of other side for cross draw when I think I have to have a backup gun. Sometimes I also will stick my Charter Arms 2-1/2 inch 38 Spl. in a side coat pocket just as a safety.

http://www.rmholsters.com/ RM holster

http://www.comp-tac.com/ Comp-Tac holsters

http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/ Gary Brommeland leather products.
Old December 14, 2004, 12:50 AM   #12
xmastree

"Face Off Holster" :barf:

IIRC the original one in the movie had the guns parallel, both pointing directly downwards. Looked way cool.

How about one Strong side, one
cross draw and one SOB?

Same holster, three options...
Old December 14, 2004, 01:01 AM   #13
xmastree

You've got me googling now...

Here it is

Here's another