The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Waterengineer

Updated Super Sport?

Has anyone touched the newly updated Benelli Super Sport or shot it?

Does the new forcing cone taper make it even more soft shooting.

Are the changes worth paying the "new in-the-box" price or should I still be looking for a first generation SS?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old March 18, 2009, 12:04 PM   #2
BigJimP

I'm not sure its a big enough difference - to sell an older one / and buy the new one. My 12ga super sport is about 4 years old now / my 20ga version is about a year old ....

I'm assuming you are referring to the article in NRA American Hunter magazine - which was very complimentary of the gun.

http://www.americanhunter.org/HW_FA_shotguns.html

I'm not sure they've really changed much vs just marketing speak ...and new around here, out the door, they are about $ 2,150. I have only seen one used 12ga in my area / and I bought it / and out the door with tax it was about $ 1,550. I think the Super Sport gives you a lot of gun for the money - and its a very good gun / but you and I have discussed that a lot. If I didn't already have one / I'd probably buy the new one vs looking for an older one ( but I don't know when they made the change vs just marketing speak either )..
Old March 18, 2009, 12:48 PM   #3
BigJimP

After I thought about it - I went looking for more info this morning. I have a 2008 Benelli catalog at my desk - and I can't find anything saying the forcing cones were changed or tapered in 2008 vs 2007 ... / but I can't find anything about the forcing cones being changed / or tapered in the current on-line catalog vs 2008 either.....?

Are you sure they changed the taper on the forcing cones ...?

Where did you see that mentioned ?

I'm leaning toward my initial opinion, that " its just marketing speak " ...and your only decision comes down to price ( on used vs new ...) but let me know if you have a reference. I already sold the used one I bought to a buddy that needed a shotgun ( for the same $ 1550 I paid for it ).
Old March 18, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Waterengineer

Jim:

As you know I have a 20 bore that my daughter has basically stolen, as her own. I will discuss this 20 bore and the gyrations I went through to get the weight right in another thread.

And, I have discussed trying to find a 12 bore to be its stable mate. The fact is used 12 bores are a tough find so when found it must be pounced on. As an option, I was looking at the gun below or a (new) "regular" 12 bore.

http://www.joeletchenguns.com/othernew.htm

Scroll down to the Benelli clay game guns and look for the "custom" SS. It is looking like the uptick is about $400.

This reworked gun is available from the Benelli custom shop and other sources. (Joel's site was just a handy place to find the description.)

You hit the point on the head. Is it a real difference or marketing hype with a few nice things thrown in? I'm leaning toward hype - I must say.

Bottom line is that I find myself picking up the SS more and more ( when I can find it and it is not at my daughter's apartment) when going to the five stand range.
Old March 18, 2009, 06:34 PM   #5
BigJimP

I've purchased a few guns from Joel Etchen - but I had not looked at his site in awhile. Interesting that he's using Briley to customize the Super Sports ....

Honestly, I think its more hype than anything else ...but Briley knows what they're doing / so I doubt its a waste of money but ....its still money...

$ 1,725 is the best price I've seen on a new super sport / I don't think you'll find a better deal - and Etchen is certainly a reputable outlet.

I keep laughing everytime you tell me your daughter has that gun ... sorry, can't help it .... I didn't raise girls so I don't understand young ladies ( or any of my 4 granddaughters either )... so I don't know how you shame her into giving the gun back ... maybe just write it off - and buy another one. Call Joel and see if he can ship you one of each .... Take care.
Old March 18, 2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Waterengineer

My daughter is at college and we have a running joke that the SS she is hanging on to is her graduation present, which is even funnier (to me) because she is only a Sophmore. But if she keeps it that's cool.

I've resigned myself to her keeping it because she has asked me three times to buy her shells.
Old March 19, 2009, 11:26 AM   #7
BigJimP

Well at least make her reload some - when she comes home to visit ...