The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Jason Elliott

Reloading Question re:wet dies

I'm a newbie here, but have been lurking around for awhile. I have a buddy up in Minnesota that has a bunch of RCBS dies that were in a building that got smashed by a tree limb and got wet with 12" of rain. I know that the primers, power and tumblers are ruined I think, but the dies and such got wet and are rusted or are starting to rust. Is there a way that we can salvage the dies and such? I've looked at the RCBS website and the Lifetime Warranty doesn't cover flooding, but I am going to call them on Monday and see what they could do to help out regarding trying to restore them or maybe being gracious enough to replace them. Does anybody have any ideas, suggestions, or likewise usable information.

Thanks,

Jason Elliott
Denison, TX
Old August 25, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Jason Elliott

I posted this over in the reloading section as well.
Old August 25, 2007, 09:23 PM   #3
bobn

actually if you dry out the powder and primers they will still work. guess how i know lol. bobn

also you can polish the inside of the dies with 800 grit paper and not change things enough to matter....
Old August 25, 2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Bud Helms

Posting the same topic in multiple fora is not permitted on TFL.

The thread in General Discussion has been moved here, since it has a reply. The original thread in Handloading and Reloading did not. It has been deleted.
Old August 25, 2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Wet powder and primers should be properly disposed of...to use them "after drying" is an unsafe practice and poses a safety hazard to not only yourself but other shooters.

I am sure that RCBS will take care of the dies for a nominal charge, they have excellent customer service.

WildiknowAlaska TM
Old August 26, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6
WIL TERRY

Why Would You Expect Rcbs To Bail You Out When You Were Too Lazy

To set down with a can of WD40 and get to cleaning dies ???!~!!
INSTEAD OF WHINING ABOUT IT GET TO WORK !!!
Old August 26, 2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Jason Elliott

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think that I EVER inplied that I was lazy, nor am I looking for a handout from RCBS. I think that they make some terrific tools for an expensive, cost reducing hobby. I don't know to what extent or condition that the dies are in, I am only know that they got wet for a period of time recently and are starting to rust, and I am looking for some ideas to help my friend to be able to salvage several hundred dollars worth of reloading equipment. It stinks that he is going to have to replace scales, tumblers, and other materials that aren't able to be saved, but as they say that is the cost of doing business sometimes.

Most of you all here CLEARLY have more experience reloading ammo that I do, and that IS why I am here. Hopefully I can learn something here and also be a valued member of a greater brotherhood.
Old August 29, 2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Alleykat

If they're just "starting to rust," then how about "stopping the rust," polishing the only surfaces that really matter with a Dremel and Simichrome or Flitz, and loading up a bunch of rounds? That's what I'd do. Probably wouldn't dry out the powder. Probably would dry out the primers. They might not work right, but they won't be "dangerous," as long as you're not depending on them or saving your life.
Old August 29, 2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Wildalaska

Quote:
hey might not work right, but they won't be "dangerous,

If they dont "work right" then in and of themselves they are dangerous

Primers are .3 each, tossem for god's sake.

WildsafetyfirstAlaska TM
Old August 29, 2007, 07:37 PM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

Jason,

Heres the deal. You can dry and polish and save a buck or two, but you have to ask yourself, just before you pull the trigger on your rifle, is the cost of some new dyes and powder and such, more than a trip to the hospital to put your face back on?

Remember, your head ain't that far from the place that goes BOOM.

If your new to loading then start out smart. Do it right, with the good stuff. If finances are a problem right now, then save up until you have enough to do it right.

Rusted dyes may cause pitting in your brass, and dryed powder may or may not work consistintly, as well as the primers. Lets face it, wouldn't you be P.O'd if that "Once in a lifetime Buck" stepped out, and your rifle wouldn't fire?
Old August 29, 2007, 07:41 PM   #11
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
I WOULD dry out the primers. Hell's Belles™ they should already be dry by now. I mean he's not storing them in the bathtub is he?

In all of my years of testing I've NEVER been able to deactivate, or in any way hurt, a modern primer with water.
So I'd go ahead and use them.

Don't believe me? I know some of you think I'm a complete idiot, so just check out the latest issue of American Handgunner. (Sept/Oct 2007)

As for the powder here's what you do...

Carefully open the cans, pour it all into several nice little pyramids (on a solid non-flammable surface of course), run a trail of powder bewtween each pile and then run another trail a few feet away.
Light the trail and watch the pretty flames.

That's all it's good for. Once smokeless powder gets wet it's compromised.
The burning rate will never be the same so it's useless for ammunition.

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)