The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 9, 2005, 06:37 AM   #1
hockey_78

Archery Hunting/Shooting

Season is out, but I shot some video archery this past weekend. It was pretty cool!

http://www.technohuntarchery.com/

Has anyone else tried this. How many like to hunt with a bow?
Old June 9, 2005, 07:39 AM   #2
stevelyn

Archery was pretty much the way I started out hunting larger game. Haven't bowhunted since about the mid 90's. My hunting became more subsistence oriented with filling the freezer being a priority. A rifle gave me range advantages I didn't have with the bow since I couldn't guarantee a successful stalk to bow range. Bowhunting has made me a better rifle hunter though.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old June 9, 2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

Bow vs. rifle

I echo Stevelyn--bowhunting has made me a better hunter. I honestly prefer using a firearm however. Just can't get excited about archery.

--Smokey Joe
Old June 20, 2005, 07:26 AM   #4
Steve Morgan

Hockey,
I shot one of those games a few years back. It was fun and pretty good practice about shot placement. The only thing I didn't like was how the shots looked like they were at different distances, but every shot was using the same pin. For instance, shots at what appeared like a forty yard elk or a 7 yard javalina are both shot with the same pin, because the screen is always 20 yards. It was still fun though.
As far as bow hunting goes, I like it a lot. We have lots of deer and I have lots of time to hunt them. My freezer is full by the time gun season rolls around so that's when I do my trophy hunting with a gun. Starting this next year, I'll be hunting with a .44 magnum. That should be fun.
Old June 21, 2005, 05:54 AM   #5
Rojoe67

Bow or firearm....... ?

I love both firearms and bow hunting... I find the two so different and both are a challenge and fun in different ways. Bow hunting for me is more demanding for personal tactics and scent awareness. There is something very special about being so close and still that wild game will be within a bow shot distance. If I didn't hunt with a bow, a camera could also fill this unique and up close adventure. Now, firearms hunting isn't by any stretch an easy for sure thing either. It requires different skills and just because I have a great rifle and scope means little if I don't have my skills updated and constant. I would hate to have to pick between either types of hunting because they are so special and so different. I can tell you my heart gets a better work out up close with a bow.
Old June 21, 2005, 06:20 AM   #6
Ohio Annie

In the off-season "hunting" with a camera is very helpful. If you don't get animal pix you can take pictures of sign and the areas you find to help jog your memory later.