The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 10, 2022, 05:18 AM   #51
stinkeypete

Here is why: people do not slug their barrels or hone their throats.

They shoot 9mm in a revolver because they used to be able to buy cheap crummy factory ammo, a few thousandths too small, and it rattles down the bore and generally puts holes in paper the size of a refrigerator at 5 yards.

A fella could take 9mm brass and neck size it up to take proper diameter bullets, but they would wonder why they are struggling with a tapered case that has no rim when .357 brass is common as dirt.

It’s a not very good solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.
Old August 10, 2022, 07:32 AM   #52
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerwh View Post
If the bores are the exact same specs then why do bullet manufacturers size 9mm jacketed to .355 and hardcast to .356? And then size .357 magnum jacketed bullets to .357 and hardcast to .358? Seems to me to get the best accuracy out of the two different rounds they would make the bullets the same diameter. Someone please explain. Thanks
Bullet makers use SAAMI specs for bullet dimensions. See post #14.

Accuracy with .355/.356 bullets is fine, even when fired from a revolver. See post #17.

This nonsense about 9mm bullets in revolvers producing huge groups is pure nonsense. See post #17.

Also, people use .357 and .358 bullets in their 9mm semi-auto pistols. The only concern here is whether the oversize bullet still allow the rounds to fit in the 9mm chamber.
Old August 10, 2022, 02:54 PM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

What no one seems to remember these days is that originally, the 9mm cylinder was considered an accessory feature, a nice to have thing so those with 9mm ammo had another gun that would shoot it, but the gun was made to be a .357 Magnum.

I have heard many different versions over the years, some that the 9mm cylinder wasn't accurate, and some that it was ok, and either nearly as good as the .357 or even as good, for accuracy.

I suspect that the majority of the tales of inaccuracy are probably the result of the ammunition, more than the gun itself.

MOST people who shot 9mm through the Blackhawk convertibles did so because 9mm ammo was cheap (and, they had it). Shooting "cheap" ammo, and particularly surplus military ball is hardly the best way to obtain maximum accuracy results, in anything....
Old August 10, 2022, 08:09 PM   #54
rclark

Quote:
surplus military ball is hardly the best way to obtain maximum accuracy results, in anything....
Accuracy. One man's 'accurate' shooting is another's worst groups ever. So all depends on how one defines accurate shooting . I take 'accuracy' claims with a grain of salt unless I see the target (or a 5 shot group size) and have 'distance' to target ... and then I can judge for myself . 5-10 yard target results don't cut it.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 11, 2022, 10:49 AM   #55
reynolds357

Ruger fixed the pistol. They replaced the 9mm cylinder.
I guess the main reason I use 9mm cylinder is my son wants to be Marshal Dillon. I dedicate progressive presses to a single cartridge. I have one for 9. Don't have one for 38 or 357. The Marshal Dillon phase will wear off long before I justify buying a new progressive. (Probably)
Old August 11, 2022, 02:57 PM   #56
44 AMP
Staff

I believe Marshall Dillon used a .45 Colt

And the sound effects guys made it sound "big",
Old August 11, 2022, 08:31 PM   #57
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I believe Marshall Dillon used a .45 Colt

And the sound effects guys made it sound "big",
Yep, but my son does not know that.
The .45Vaquero costs twice as much to shoot.

Last edited by reynolds357; August 11, 2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old August 11, 2022, 11:42 PM   #58
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The .45Vaquero costs twice as much to shoot.
Well, you are shooting bullets twice as big (heavy)

There's no free lunch....
Old August 12, 2022, 05:50 AM   #59
reynolds357

Quote:
Well, you are shooting bullets twice as big (heavy)

There's no free lunch....
Exactly. That's why it's not our plinking pistol.
That and the fact that the Trail boss nonexistence makes a kid friendly load about impossible.
Old August 12, 2022, 03:42 PM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

When my kids began getting close to the age of learning the handgun, I got a Ruger Super Single Six for training. Something that was a repeater, but where they had to do more "work" for each shot, over a semi auto.

Turned out to be a lot more useful than just something to teach the kids with, and of course, I still have and use it.

As they grew and moved on to centerfires, my son had a preference for the .45 auto, and my daughter, while not all that enthusiastic proved capable of doing some astounding good work with a .357 Highway Patrolman. (and much better than her "boyfriend" at the time, )

just out of curiosity, why the 9mm over shooting .38 specials in your Matt Dillon Jr gun??

I handload, and bulk .38 SPL is one of the things I did, regular 158s at approx 850fps.
Old August 12, 2022, 04:39 PM   #61
reynolds357

Quote:
When my kids began getting close to the age of learning the handgun, I got a Ruger Super Single Six for training. Something that was a repeater, but where they had to do more "work" for each shot, over a semi auto.

Turned out to be a lot more useful than just something to teach the kids with, and of course, I still have and use it.

As they grew and moved on to centerfires, my son had a preference for the .45 auto, and my daughter, while not all that enthusiastic proved capable of doing some astounding good work with a .357 Highway Patrolman. (and much better than her "boyfriend" at the time, )

just out of curiosity, why the 9mm over shooting .38 specials in your Matt Dillon Jr gun??

I handload, and bulk .38 SPL is one of the things I did, regular 158s at approx 850fps.
The reason for the 9 is because I have a progressive press dedicated to 9mm. I don't have one set up for 38 or 357. I know how to switch my presses over, but just not worth the aggravation or cost on the Dillon Square deals. I could set my Hornady Lock N Load up for it, but it is one of the oldest ones. It's not updatable to the new cartridge ejector system and it's a pain in the rear to keep working. It does OK with .223, but it hangs up on rimmed cartridges. I am tired of sending it back to Hornady.
Old August 12, 2022, 06:32 PM   #62
44 AMP
Staff

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation.
Old August 12, 2022, 07:44 PM   #63
rclark

You could always do what a lot of us do.... Use a single stage press . As for Marshal Dillon/Roy Rogers/Tim McCoy/Johnny Mack Brown/Audie Murphy/John Wayne/etc. 'wearing off' ... never ...
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 13, 2022, 05:41 AM   #64
jetinteriorguy

You could try just substituting.38 caliber bullets and see if that helps. I’ve substituted bullets from Xtreme using their .357 sized 125gr truncated cone style in my 9mm’s and they worked fine. I have a bunch of these bullets and don’t usually like the lighter bullets in any of my revolvers so I can burn them up in my semi auto’s.
Old August 13, 2022, 07:29 AM   #65
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
You could try just substituting.38 caliber bullets and see if that helps. I’ve substituted bullets from Xtreme using their .357 sized 125gr truncated cone style in my 9mm’s and they worked fine. I have a bunch of these bullets and don’t usually like the lighter bullets in any of my revolvers so I can burn them up in my semi auto’s.
I finally had some time to play with it. It likes the new style Hoosier 124 9mm. They shoot about 1 1/2 " at 25 yds. Good enough for playing I guess. And they are Zombie Green. "Matt Dillon" seems to love his zombie green bullets.