The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2017, 08:03 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

Mag fed Remington 870 thoughts?

870 DM (detachable mag)...What does this mean for pump shotguns? Anything

I know it doesn't replace the 870 lineup, but it's an interesting move given the added height in a pump...
Old December 16, 2017, 08:48 AM   #2
2damnold4this

I suppose the balance of the gun wouldn't change as much as it was being fired with a box magazine as opposed to a tube magazine.
Old December 17, 2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Virginian

Tactical bait.
Old December 17, 2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Model12Win

Do you plan to carry extra magazines with you for defense?

If not, how are you going to reload? One at a time?? I'd rather have a tube fed gun with extra onboard rounds to top off easily. What someone above said:

TACTICAL BAIT. Soon to be in the Call of Duty game and Predator movie near you, but in the REAL WORLD a tube gun makes more sense.
Old December 17, 2017, 05:24 PM   #5
zoomie

I dunno if it's just tactical bait. Maybe not a big gain for some (I don't see myself buying one), but I can see plenty of scenarios where having two mags of different ammo would be helpful. Cops do it with their AR mags, why not with their shotguns? A mag of slugs and a mag of buckshot? Maybe even birdshot? I don't know what combinations people might use, but if it's helpful (and commonly done) in rifles, no reason the same techniques won't apply to shotguns.
Old December 17, 2017, 06:11 PM   #6
smee78

Well look how much other mag feed shotguns are selling for, I don't blame Remington for trying to cash in on them. They are not my cup of tea but to each their own.
Old December 18, 2017, 03:19 AM   #7
Model12Win

The cops do it with their ARs?

Wuh ? ?
Old December 18, 2017, 06:44 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't expect this to replace the tube mag on 870s, but I don't think it's a bad idea for HD. Mag extensions are big sellers for HD 870s. I think that lots of the folks who go that route would just as soon have a 6-round box mag as an 8-shot tube. You can keep an extra box mag or three loaded and ready to go.
Old December 18, 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
Virginian

Oh come on you know extra capacity mags are already on the way. Just think, instead of a bandolier of shells you can now have a bandolier of full mags.