The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2016, 03:14 PM   #1
BRJACKET

Dan Wesson Eco or Valkyrie?

I like both of these but can only pick one. Which one to get? The guide rod and recoil spring and bull barrel in the Eco sound great. Is the Valkyrie similar even though it has the bushing? Are they similar in accuracy?
Old September 17, 2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Eazyeach

Dan Wesson makes a fine 1911 clone. Flip a coin is the easy answer. Can't go wrong. I briefly had a DW Valor. Heckuva gun. But I'm not good enough to notice the difference between the DW and a Colt so I traded it for a SIG 229 elite and .22 conversion.

I think eventually I may try to get a DW Guardian but not until I get better with what I've got.
Old September 17, 2016, 08:20 PM   #3
KyJim

I have the Valkyrie. The most important difference between it and the ECO is the barrel length -- 4.25 inches for the Valkyrie and 3.5 inches for the ECO. For serious defensive purposes, the 4.25 inch barrel (Commander length) is inherently more reliable. That doesn't mean a 1911 with a shorter barrel is unreliable; it's just more difficult to make as reliable as one with a longer barrel.

Accuracy --- There should be no inherent difference because both will stabilize the bullets just fine. However, the longer barrel will be a bit more practically accurate for most people because it has a longer sight radius.

Recoil --- The felt recoil will be a bit more in the ECO because it has less mass. However, it shouldn't be a great deal different (see muzzle flip below). Also, IMO, standard pressure .45 acp premium hollow points perform well from 4.25 inch barrels but not as well from 3.5 inch barrels. Going to +P in the ECO will increase recoil noticeably.

Muzzle Flip -- Muzzle flip will be more noticeable with the ECO because of the shorter barrel using similar loads.

Concealability -- For IWB concealed carry, the Valkyrie will conceal just as well as the ECO because it is the length of the grip frame that matters, rather than the length of the barrel.

If you want a full length guide rod (not necessary), they're cheap and easy to install. I don't see the attraction of a bull barrel just to have a bull barrel. Nothing really against them, though.
Old September 18, 2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Nathan

My comments are similar to Jims....

When a perso compares a CCO sized gun and a 3.5" gun, im going to assume you are talking 5-7yd max speed .3-.5s splits accuracy.

IME, the CCO sized gun is more accurate under these conditions, in my hands. The Valkyrie is even better due to the checkered front strap.

Better, but at the cost of 3/4" longer barrel. In my Overland rig that is a non-issue.

One thing to consider is that 9mm gives you another round and easier recoil control.

The flgr and special spring are trick to improve the odds of making a 3.5" gun run.
Old September 18, 2016, 08:01 AM   #5
BRJACKET

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I will get a 9mm. I have been simplifying to that ammo type. Other than the barrel length which you all have done a great job of comparing, my curiosity is:
The ECO guide rod with flat spring that will go 15,000 rounds vs. the Valkyrie and
The bull barrel vs. the bushing.
I am curious how the Valkyrie compares. It still has a match grade barrel and so will be more accurate than me and it would take me forever to shoot 15,000 rounds on one gun. But I am still curious About the comparisons.
Is it that the longer barrel required them to go back to the CCO design for this? In reviews of the ECO it sounds like the guide rod and bull barrel were upgrades to the CCO design, but the Valkyrie is a newer and more expensive gun but uses the CCO guide rod and bushing system.
I am leaning toward the Valkyrie. It feels great in the hand. I am just trying to get a better understanding. I haven't been able to hold the ECO yet but hope to this week.
Old September 21, 2016, 10:14 AM   #6
BRJACKET

Well I made my decision. After handling and researching both the ECO and the Valkyrie and wound up getting.... A Guardian. The LGS had one and I just like everything about it. I can't wait to get to the range.
Old September 21, 2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Eazyeach

Lol. Enjoy it. Im sure it's a fine weapon. We all expect a range report soon.