The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 15, 2014, 01:28 PM   #1
bikerbill

Own a Smith Performance Center revolver?

I have fallen madly in love with the new 686 2 1/2 inch snubbie from Smith's Performance Center. I have a 4-inch 686+ and love it, but it's off the regular assembly line. I'm wondering if the PC touches are worth the extra money .. If you haven't seen the gun, it is beautiful, beadblasted stainless, wood grip, 7 rds, no fluting on the cylinder, 35oz unloaded ...

Any PC revolver owners care to advise me? It's over $1,000 list so I'd like to be sure I'm not spending my money unwisely ...

Thanks.
Old January 15, 2014, 02:22 PM   #2
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill
I'm wondering if the PC touches are worth the extra money

Up until a couple years ago, I'd say yes. Those PC guns seemed to benefit from extra tuning and premium parts. The PC revos I've seen in the last year or 2, though, didn't have that and indicated to me S&W stopped doing that: If true, you're pretty much just paying to get a gun with some configuration not found in their non-PC lineup. If you want that particular configuration, getting the PC gun may be worth it, but I wouldn't spend the money mainly because I thought I'd get something functionally better than any other S&W revolver.
Old January 15, 2014, 02:24 PM   #3
CPO15

I've got the 4", 3" and 2.5" 686 (not performance center) and a PC 627 in 2.5".

Love all of them and, while the PC gun MAY be a little smoother, I don't think the extra expense is justified. I also found the Eagle grips in the PC gun to not fit my hand very well, so handle it if you can. I'm glad I bought the PC gun and it may be a better gun than I can detect; but, as I said, I wouldn't buy a PC gun if the non-PC features were close enough.

Please look at the 627 PC, though; it is non-fluted with a slab-sided barrel, beaded stainless and a slightly larger frame. A beautiful gun! 8 shots! Cut for moon clips!

Last edited by CPO15; January 15, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old January 16, 2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Don P

A fellow shooter purchased a PC 627, about a year ago, and the trigger out of the box felt like the side plate was packed in sand. Gritty hard trigger pull on a nearly $1200 OTD performance center gun. Not worth the extra money
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:50 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Gotta coupla P.C.s and they were well worth the extra cash at the time. As for their recent offerings, I would have to see them and compare the upgrades to the cost......just as I did before.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:54 AM   #6
michaelnel

I just got a new PC Stealth Hunter on Monday, and we shot 300 rounds of PMC and Underwood factory ammo through it Monday and Tuesday.

The SA pull felt good right out of the box, and measured at 3lbs 12oz with my Lyman digital gauge. We put the rounds through it (mostly SA but probably 75 rounds of DA), then removed the side plate... it was bone dry from the factory. We greased some pivot and sliding points with Gun Butter grease and put drops of BreakFree CLP on other moving parts.

After reassembly, it was down to 3lbs 6oz. I have been dry firing it a LOT since then (I keep it loaded with six snap caps and there is no live ammo in the room, and I check it each time I pick it up to dry fire it), and I think it will continue to get slicker.

But even dry as it was, the SA trigger was nice. I would simply increase pressure gradually, there was NO creep, and then suddenly the hammer drops without my having been able to feel any movement at all. If I watch it while I pull it, I can see it move maybe 1/32" of an inch when it breaks, but I can't feel it move.

We shot a best six round group of about 7/8" at 25 yards from my Ransom Rest using the PMC 240gr JHP factory stuff. I believe it will get more accurate as I develop handloads that are tuned to this gun.

Old January 16, 2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Nanuk

I have the 629 PC. Trigger was like butter from the factory. Shoots and carries like a dream.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 18, 2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Ryu825

Don't have a PC but I do have a pro series 686 and it's trigger is noticeably smoother than its stock version. I can only imagine how an actual PC would feel
Old January 18, 2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I do have a pro series 686 and it's trigger is noticeably smoother than its stock version. I can only imagine how an actual PC would feel.
I'm not certain, but I believe the trigger work on the pro series and the performance center units are the same. The PC units have other goodies, but they both have "worked" triggers.

I don't on a PC gun. But I did have a chance to dry fire one (627) at my LGS and the trigger was nice and smoooth.

I'd buy one. I want one; it's just not real high up on my wish list.
Old January 19, 2014, 02:54 PM   #10
FilthyHarry

I think it's worth it...

I have a pro series 686 plus - 7 shot, 5 inch barrel. Has chamfered chambers, recessed crown, trigger work. If you add up the cost of the PC doing that work you will definitely save money buying the model that already has it done.
Old January 19, 2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Willie Lowman

I got a PC 627 about five years ago. The trigger is so good. It has kind of ruined me for other revolvers as nothing I have shot comes anywhere close.
Old January 19, 2014, 06:28 PM   #12
P5 Guy

Performance Center

I had a S&W PC 686-4 Plus quad port.
It is long gone. I find the 681 I have now has a better trigger if only I could see the front sight better. One of these days I'm going to have a smith cut it off for something thin and black.
Old January 20, 2014, 06:58 PM   #13
FloridaGuy

I just purchased a S&W Model 327 TRR8 the PC version. The gun shoots dead on right out of the box. The trigger is very nice right out of the box. I will be purchasing another pc gun in the future. Totally worth every cent I spent on it.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT

Last edited by FloridaGuy; January 20, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old January 21, 2014, 05:54 PM   #14
Mannlicher

I had the S&W Custom Shop, before they had the Performance Center, rebuild this Model 65. It has all the bells and whistles, and is DAO. It was well worth the $165 they charged me.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 22, 2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Rogervzv

I have a S&W 627PC and it definitely is a superior revolver. The stuff the PC does to it definitely results in a nice trigger and great fit and finish.

Having said that, I also find the standard S&Ws to be awfully good. I have to say that I am quite satisfied with my 2013-vintage S&W 686+.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:31 AM   #16
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill View Post
I have fallen madly in love with the new 686 2 1/2 inch snubbie from Smith's Performance Center. I have a 4-inch 686+ and love it, but it's off the regular assembly line. I'm wondering if the PC touches are worth the extra money .. If you haven't seen the gun, it is beautiful, beadblasted stainless, wood grip, 7 rds, no fluting on the cylinder, 35oz unloaded ...

Any PC revolver owners care to advise me? It's over $1,000 list so I'd like to be sure I'm not spending my money unwisely ...

Thanks.

I have two of them. The action and trigger are smoother. Both are set for moonclips but I'm not a fan of 7 or 8 round moonclips.

586 L-Comp

They're definitely worth it to me for the money. Side by side, I can tell the difference in feel, action and when shooting between my Pro Series 627 and PC 627.
Old January 27, 2014, 09:54 PM   #17
BingoFuel

The OP has offered up a good question and I will echo what one or two responders noted.
I am more interested in the novel designs from the Performance Center then to count on them to create a fine touch/action as part of the gun. Here's an example.
I own two PC revolvers. One is the .44 Mag V Comp and the other a .357 V Comp.
I bought the first one (.44) new, reveled in it, shot it and thought it was an outstanding gun.
But I purchased the second (.357 no lock) shortly after the first from a fine gentleman on one of these forums. He was a top notch shooter and had the gun worked over by Clark's 'smiths some time back. The action was simply outstanding. Far beyond the feel and action of the new .44 mag.
So the takeaway is - if you want a great running gun, by a quality standard S&W, and then send it out for work. Even the PC people don't have the time (and perhaps the expertise) to bring the best out of it.
If you like one of the PC designs (I really like the V Comp's if you can't tell) then buy one, but expect to send it out to an expert if you want it to run it's best.
Oh and yes, I'm sending the .44 out to Clark's who did recall what work they did on the .357. Nice people.
B