The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2001, 09:10 PM   #1
Charmedlyfe

I want to know if Bald Cypress/American Cypress is suitable for rifle/shotgun stocks. I've just had some very LARGE logs come into my possession, and I can get them kiln-dried locally if it's worth it. Any advice? I've never used anything but walnut, and I'm looking for something new/different. Can Cypress be used to make a laminate for stocks?
Old May 14, 2001, 10:06 PM   #2
Joe Portale

No absolutly not! Stay away from that stuff! They are dangerous and should be avoided at all cost!! Be extra careful with those cyperess logs that have been in the bottom of a lake or ocean for 100 years or so. These are very, very dangerous. Look, I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Just send those logs over to me and I'll take dispose of them properly!!

Okay, enough of that. I can't see any reason why cypress wouldn't make a fine stock. Look at the wood grain, just like you would if using maple or walnut, go for the long straight stuff. Cypress is a very stable wood, take finish well, and works well.

Instead of laminating a stock, maybe you should try to carve one yourself, or have one made from this wood. I am drying three mesquite logs for just that purpose.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Joe

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old May 14, 2001, 10:13 PM   #3
Charmedlyfe

Well, these logs are about 20" thick, 6' lengths, and have line-straight grain. I was just wondering about how it would handle shock from a heavy round, and if it would be strong enough. I'd like to work a single piece, but I'd also be willing to laminate it if it would increase stability.

Has anyone done anything with cypress before?
Old May 14, 2001, 10:13 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've seen muzzleloaders stocked with cypress, but never a modern-style rifle.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 14, 2001, 10:41 PM   #5
Guy L Johnson

Cypress

Is A loose grained wood that before drying contains aprox 40% water it srinks conciderably, is not deminisionaly stable, is very soft and has common uses as cheap fence sections and shipping palets. In short it is generaly concidered trash wood but on the good side it won't rot for many years. just the observations of a Florida Boy who worked in a cypress mill.
Guy L Johnson
Old May 15, 2001, 04:30 AM   #6
Rottweiler

Everything I've ever heard about Cypress is that it's a sponge compared to other species like the Walnut, Oak and Hickory varieties. Probably not a very good candidate for stable stock material.But for a stock on a rifle that accuracy isn't a concern (wall hanger) it would probably be pretty cool looking
Old May 15, 2001, 09:26 AM   #7
Master Blaster

IT will be unstable with changes in hummidity, and it will rust your gun because of its hydroscopic nature (it likes to absorb moisture and hold it.