The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1
precision_shooter

I WANT ONE - Kel-Tec KSG

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/pr...c-shotgun-ksg/

This thing looks good imo and would make a good HD gun and woods gun for critter protection. 14 rounds of 12ga Slugs or 00Buck... A single point sling would make for some fast "at the ready" while in the woods...

Anyone have any additional info? Says suggested retail will be around $800. I foresee a price gouge when they first hit the shelves but hopefully will settle to a reasonable $750 or so...

What do you all think of this gun?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 28, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

I've been all over Texas. What kind of critters do you have in your woods?
Old June 28, 2011, 08:35 PM   #3
armoredman

I want one, too, but I'll bet price and availabilty will be hard to deal with. If it's the same as the semi-legendary RFB, then about five years from now we might see a few in the biggest gunshops...briefly.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4
GoOfY-FoOt

It's a shame that a gun that isn't even available yet, is old news...

These were debuted back in Feb. IIRC, during the Shot Show.

They have an 18.5" bbl, and are 26.5" long. They are bottom eject, which is cool for we left-handers, and have a selector switch to go back and forth, between tubes. The grip looks earily familiar...lol (PMR-30)

I can't wait either. Last I heard, they were being released in the Fall.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:53 PM   #5
C Philip

I want one too, but will probably wait a year or two for the initial rush to die down and price gouging to go away after the release date. Demand for this firearm is very high. Unless Kel Tec can really ramp up the production lines I foresee a long wait. Any bugs will be worked out by then also, so it'll be a while before I get one.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:40 AM   #6
precision_shooter

Quote:
I can't wait either. Last I heard, they were being released in the Fall.
On another forum, A guy said the lead Gunsmith at Kel-Tec stated it would be a miracle for them to get them to distributors by the end of 2011. I don't expect to see any locally until sometime later winter or early spring 2012.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 29, 2011, 10:17 AM   #7
GoOfY-FoOt

Quote:
by the end of 2011
That makes sense, with the PMR-30 barrel recall, underway...They ain't getting a bunch of them back, though. Some folks see 'key-holing' as a plus...
Old June 29, 2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Sarge

I can see the utility of it in certain applications but if the price isn't competitive with the Mossberg 930, I won't give it a second look.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:38 AM   #9
GoOfY-FoOt

Quote:
I can see the utility of it in certain applications but if the price isn't competitive with the Mossberg 930, I won't give it a second look.
That's the beauty of it. It doesn't have to compete with anybody else.
Kel-tec has created it's own niche in the gauge market, and everyone will be trying to compare to them for awhile. At least as far as utility shotguns are concerned.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Icopy1

It would be nice to have in the collection. Maybe in a year or two once the bugs have been worked out. I never buy a gun during its first production year. Been burned too many times with recalls.
Old July 1, 2011, 04:40 PM   #11
bitttorrrent

me too. there is a cool video of them running it through.

it is still a pump though. the auto will probably be a long time coming.

But, i need a shot gun now so will visit the ksg when it is closer to regular production,
Old July 1, 2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Technosavant

Quote:
That's the beauty of it. It doesn't have to compete with anybody else.
Kel-tec has created it's own niche in the gauge market, and everyone will be trying to compare to them for awhile. At least as far as utility shotguns are concerned.
Not so much.

There are two things that the KSG has that are unique- the bullpup design and the dual mag tubes. Other than that, it's just a pump gun (yes, I know that can be seen as a "well, other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?" kind of thing).

Still, the only market where the KSG makes a lick of sense is the self defense market. It's not a hunting gun, it's not a clays gun. It's a defensive gun.

SD shotguns live and die not by maneuverability or mag capacity, but by reliability. If it doesn't feed, BANG, and eject reliably, it's a gun that will get you killed. In that respect, Kel-Tec will have to convince buyers that the gun is worth TWO Mossberg 500s or Remington 870s.

Before buying a KSG, a buyer will need to be convinced that the maneuverability of the thing is preferable to a pair of proven guns. If we're talking two shotguns, then the dual mag tubes lose their advantage; just grab the other one.

It's an intriguing design, but before plunking down that much money it is worthwhile to rationally consider one's needs and what that money will buy.
Old July 1, 2011, 09:49 PM   #13
armoredman

Unless you just "wanna!" If you "wanna!' and have the scratch, go for it.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:06 PM   #14
TIGERARMS

Do you think they could be holding back on distribution for the purpose of building up hype? This topic is ringing on every gun/ zombie/ gadget, etc. forum... And there is no shortage of high res action photos circulating amongst the drooling masses. Don't get me wrong, I want one, but I have the smallest suspicion that they are using the same tricks that keep the Saiga 12 prices up. Did you hear that those BATF jerks are trying to ban the Saiga? ...I better go down and buy one while I still can. Supply and demand influence the price us shooters are willing to fork over. Or should I say perceived supply...
Old July 1, 2011, 10:24 PM   #15
TIGERARMS

...but I really wanna play with it.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:57 PM   #16
BradS

It looks and seems to be a very cool shotgun, but I think I will stick with my tried and true 870.
Old July 2, 2011, 07:09 PM   #17
Mrgunsngear

I want one, no doubt. But....... after watching nutnfancy's run and gun (yes, I know he's a controversial figure around here) I do question the dual mag tubes. All of the shooters that ran it, including the kel tec rep, forgot to switch tubes when needed. I know you can train, but even that would require you to count rounds. On a two way range, most people aren't capable of doing that, regardless of training level.

All that said, it looks cool as all get out and I'm certainly getting one!
Old July 2, 2011, 07:24 PM   #18
dreamweaver

one just sold on GB for $2000.
Old July 2, 2011, 07:59 PM   #19
Lee Lapin

No matter how big the magazine is (or magazines are), sooner or later you gotta reload it. The bigger the magazine the longer it takes to reload, and the KSG doesn't look like a design that lends itself to easy topping up in a fight, or to load one-shoot one when things get tight. That might not be the case, I don't know, but I'd want to see one in use in the hands of someone who knew how to run a pumpgun before I got too spun up about it.

jmho, ymmv,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old July 2, 2011, 10:51 PM   #20
TheKlawMan

As for the criticism that users forget to switch tubes when the first goes empty as they would have to count shells fired, isn't the same true of any pump? If I have 1 in the chamber and 6 in the tube of my 870 and I don't keep track of shells fired, I won't know until all I get is a click. (Okay. Under the right conditions I can tilt it to the left as I am cycling the action and might be able to see that there nothing left to chamber.)

When you do hear that click, or if you realize you have nearly exhausted the first magazine of the KSG, all you have to do is switch to the next 7 in tube 2.

From what I have seen of the KSG, topping of the tube while engaged could be done, but looks as though it is more difficult than most pumps. For instance, with my 870 I can feed the tube without flipping it belly up. The bottom of the elevator tends to guide the shell into the tube. With the KSG I think it may be more difficult and you need to be able to see things to feed the tube. Not sure.
Old July 3, 2011, 08:16 AM   #21
blackriderhank

My old 870 will always be my HD. Simple, reliable and easy to tear down and clean.
Old July 5, 2011, 12:17 PM   #22
Gym

It looks cool on the utube videos. But it is an akward size and shape. Lends itself to not being accurate because of the length and shape. It is not an auto "which I prefer" and it's not that easy to shoot. I would rather have a mossberg 930 or a Benelli or FN, in auto. Plus they are far more accurate. I know a guy who works at Keltec who has one. He even told me that they had to use them for their 3 gun shooting team, "of course". But he would have rather have kept his 930, which is a no no if you work for them of course.
It's way overpriced and 14 rounds vs 9 or 10 in auto, isn't enopugh of a trade off considering you can load more in the other ones while still firing. Let's see how they hold up over time. They are around for sale if you look around enough. It is strictlly an HD weapon, and to me at least, if you can't shoot something with 5-10 rounds, then the other 4, aren't going to help much. Plus shen someone is shooting at you, are you going to remember to flip the switch?
The idea that the auto can just blast 8 or 9 rounds without taking your gun off target to pump it, makes all the difference. I guess I just don't like pump anything also. They were supposed to be auto at first, but the ATF warned them that it would be classified a destructive device.Now that would have been cool. Loose the switch and go semi auto.
Old July 5, 2011, 04:21 PM   #23
Sarge

One of factors responsible for the 870 becoming the ne plus ultra of cop shotguns, were the thousands of shooters grew up using those guns in the field. When you get into a busy dove flyway with an 870 you can manipulate and/or top off the gun without thinking about it- and that 'autopilot' familiarity is priceless in any defensive or duty firearm. A lot of those guys came into LE during the 60's-80's.

Add the fact that the 870 was pretty much THE 12 gauge pump in a lot of people's minds--including LE and Corrections Administrators--and the result is a decades-long place at the top of the heap.

I like the 870, but if I could replace it in my outfit's squad cars? I probably go with an auto.
Old July 6, 2011, 11:03 AM   #24
EdInk

Let's all be honest, it looks pretty cool and would make a fun toy. If we only owned practical guns, for which we had a legitimate need, we would have much smaller collections.

IMHO it would make a good defensive shotgun. Reloading is most likely a bit slow and I don't know if you can load a single shells at a time. However, the thing does hold 2 more rounds than a fully loaded 870 with a side saddle and you don't have to reload to use the second half of the ammo. (Plus, I can't think of too many real-life situations that 14rds of buckshot wouldn't be sufficient.)

The price is going to be high on any gun that is new and in high demand. After about a year or two, when supply has caught up to demand, the price will usually come down. Also, it gives them time to get any unknown flaws worked out of the design.

Overall, I think it is really a cool gun. The initial price IMHO will keep it from many people's collections. (I predict biggest volume sales will be at around the $699-$749 price point, if possible.)

We'll just have to wait and see about this one.
Old July 6, 2011, 11:04 AM   #25
EdInk

BTW the new Guns&Ammo has a write-up on it.