The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 28, 2010, 07:49 AM   #26
Straightshooter629

Because of the fact that I'm a member of my church's security ministry, the Pastor, church officials and congregation members know that I carry. Outside of that, just my immediate family and about a half dozen close friends are all that know.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:03 PM   #27
Croz

About 10 people know I have a permit. I don't broadcast it if not asked. I don't hide it if asked.

People who know I carry? My wife.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:27 PM   #28
Cremon

My wife, my two older children, my younger brother and two friends (my 5 year old is too young to be trusted with that knowledge yet and I never let him see me put the gun on). That's it. Also, when I chaperone other kids (i.e. my daughter's friend comes to a movie, or 3 or 4 kids come with my son and I to youth sports camps) - my kids are under strict orders from my wife and I to NEVER tell their friends that mom and dad carry. Most of my friends would probably be ok with it but I don't need the hassle of dealing with so many parental viewpoints.

These days, you can get into a verbal fight for eating meat in front of some kids so we have a don't ask, don't tell policy. My wife doesn't actually CARRY her pistol (which annoys the crap out of me, but she's firm about that one and gets angry when I ninja it into her purse when we go out) but keeps it in her glove compartment in her car. I am hoping that changes when our youngest one gets older.
Old January 28, 2010, 02:44 PM   #29
Daugherty16

Let's see -

3 friends, a couple of extended family members, wife, 2 sons. They never actually know if i'm carrying RIGHT NOW, but know that i have the permit and generally do carry. So, 7.

Wife is getting used to seeing it come off my hip and into the nightstand at night, and is going to take the pistol safety course this spring. Can't wait to take her shooting !
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 28, 2010, 03:18 PM   #30
Pyzon

Almost nobody even knows that I am lawfully allowed to carry, maybe 3-4 close friends other than wife and 2 sons. Even my wife sometimes feels a gun on my belt and expresses surprise because it is so well concealed. Makes me glad I invested in serious holsters and a Beltman Belt, and I can even forget I am carrying.

BUT-I am lucky to have a supportive immediate family, and most folks that know me best know I am a shooter and gun fan and might guess I carry.

One main problem is I live in Ohio where carry into restaurants that serve alcohol is still prohibited, which includes almost anyplace we go to for dinner, so many times I simply do not strap on or leave it in the car.

What a stupid law.
Old January 28, 2010, 06:48 PM   #31
cycleguru

My wife, my oldest son and his wife, my daughter and her husband who both carry themselves, the guys at my favorite gun shop, and 3 of us at my men's bible study carry regularly. Guess that's about 10 people. Beyond that it's nobody's business.
Old January 28, 2010, 07:13 PM   #32
retiredcoasty

One... me. My wife knows I carry sometimes but rarely knows when.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:25 PM   #33
FM12

Several, including the teachers @ my wife' school. They like it, epecially at sports function. My wife and daughters lke it also, gives them a sense of security.
Old January 29, 2010, 01:03 AM   #34
swsurgeon

When I used to carry at the office, I did not tell a single person. Confidential information like that would stay secret for a few hours or days, at best. If an incident of workplace violence erupted, I did not want anyone targeting me. I previously worked for a firm at which several colleagues (different branch of the office, but I knew them) died in a workplace violence incident so this concern was based on experience.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:09 AM   #35
CajunBass

Oh, probably half the people I know, and a bunch I don't know.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 29, 2010, 04:47 PM   #36
RPB

My holster is so comfortable, that sometimes even I don't know I'm carrying.

Seriously though, Family, 2 neighbors and almost everyone at church.
Old January 29, 2010, 04:51 PM   #37
von buck

I told my landlord, he has access to the garage and the basement, so I didn't want any surprises. Turns out he's been carrying for 15 years. My girlfriend knows. In fact, she was the one who encouraged me to get my permit.

Andy
Old January 29, 2010, 08:40 PM   #38
RickE

NavyLT and others... I carry concealed, and keep it to myself most all the time. My PPKS allows that all times of the year. Please give me an idea of under what circumstances you open carry. Do you actually walk around in public crowds and such? Whay kind of responses do you get? Police response? I have trouble with someone that bold. You are asking for trouble, and are sure to find it sooner or later.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:38 AM   #39
troy_mclure

Quote:
I have trouble with someone that bold. You are asking for trouble, and are sure to find it sooner or later.
Why should you have a problem with it? and why are you sure somebody will "find trouble"?

I o/c frequently when hiking/camping, heading off to the range, etc...

Its not exactly common here, but neither is it unusual.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 30, 2010, 02:15 AM   #40
beequick

I'd say about 6-7 people know I carry. GF, mom, and a couple close friends
Old January 30, 2010, 07:10 AM   #41
CajunBass

Quote:
Please give me an idea of under what circumstances you open carry. Do you actually walk around in public crowds and such? Whay kind of responses do you get? Police response?
Question 1. Most any and all. I probably open carry about half the time.

Question 2. Yes. I actually walk around in crowds and such. If by "in crowds" you mean restraunts, convience stores, "on the street" and such places as that.

Question 3. Almost none. In five years of off and on open carry I've had maybe a half dozen people mention the gun. Most responses are along the line of "can I do that to?" "Is that a Colt?". The most negeative thing I've ever heard was "Excuse me. Your pistol is cocked." I explained that it was a 1911 and was designed to be carried "cocked and locked". The person replied "Oh. I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday." We both went back to pumping our gas.

Question 4. None. Never had a LEO say a word. From standing behind me in the line at Hardee's (open carried Makarov) to one who pulled up to an office complex in response to a burglar alarm, as I was picking up a courier package (Ruger Bearcat that time). He asked me "Did you see anything going on around here?" I told him "nope." He thanked me and got back in his car. I suppose they must get a lot of false alarms from that place. I crashed a motorcycle once. I handed the deputy my D/L and my CHP at the same time (I was open carrying at the time. S&W 39-2, 9mm). He glanced at both, handed back the CHP, never mentioned the gun, and started writing down the DL info.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 30, 2010, 08:22 AM   #42
Boatme98

My sister (I helped her get her permit), my kids, and about eight friends who also carry. So, about 11.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:50 AM   #43
SilentHitz

I've been carrying since I was 21, so all my family knows, and a few friends...very few. We have open carry in Ms. also, but you need a CCP to do so...yea I know, strange.

I chose not to open carry in the Jackson metro area, I would rather not advertise to the drug dealers and wannabe gangbangers. In the smaller towns and rural areas it's not a big deal. Most people just want to know what kind of gun you have. Even had one man ask to shoot my .357 Blackhawk behind his store...granted it was 10 miles from ANYTHING except the land we hunt on. You've seen them I'm sure, small country store with one gas pump ect.

Most people in the southern states don't think carrying a firearm is out of the ordinary, many grew up hunting and shooting...just the norm around here.

http://k5fv.com/
Old February 2, 2010, 06:25 PM   #44
KSDeputy

How many people know you carry?

I expect anyone who knows me, knows that I am armed.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:28 PM   #45
DiscoRacing

family...friends,,,four or five buddies....nother five or six business friends.. friends of their friends.... Id say around 50 total... maybe lil more.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:30 PM   #46
rick73852

Only the last guy that tried to mug me.
Old February 2, 2010, 09:02 PM   #47
Mr. James

RickE,

My experiences pretty much mirror those of CajunBass, and although we both hail from the Old Dominion, I'm from Fairfax County, reputedly one of the least gun-friendly parts of the Commonwealth.

I carry openly, usually a Commander-sized 1911, an XD45 Tactical or an H&K USP (depending on my mood, or activities) anywhere I happen to be going - grocery shopping, the local coffee shop, out for a sandwich. The owners of the local bagel shop were astounded when I walked in - it had never occurred to these gents (immigrants from Afghanistan, as it happens) that Virginians have the right to go about openly armed. Now it's a standing joke.

I do have a CHL, and will carry concealed when circumstances warrant. I also carry concealed on evenings like this one, when the snow flies thick and wet.

Response from the folks I encounter (that vanishingly small percentage who actually notice the thing) ranges from mild surprise to a yawn. Response from law enforcement is . . . nothing at all, and I bump into them all the time.

I know it ain't for everyone, but it is a right I choose to exercise, rather than have it atrophy out of existence, as it effectively did in Fairfax County for many years. Use 'em or lose 'em, as they say.

God be with!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old February 2, 2010, 10:34 PM   #48
buck9

At any given time only me!
Old February 3, 2010, 09:53 AM   #49
bikerbill

My wife, a few family members on both sides and probably a handful of friends ... None of them carry or even, as far as I know, own a firearm ... My sister, a Massachusetts pinko, is coming for a visit later this year -- her first command, "Don't tell me about any guns." OK, no problem, but I'll still be armed as we show her and her husband the beauties of central Texas ...
Old February 3, 2010, 02:51 PM   #50
Sixer

I'd say that anyone who knows me "well" also knows that I am somewhat of a gun nut

They also know that I carry daily. That's probably quite a few people... but I do not walk around with a shirt that says "I have a gun!"

I don't see it as a bad thing.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.