The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Spur0701

Shotshell Reloading Question Changing Shot to Slug

I've got a quick question. Got a bit of reloading expirence but not with shot shell. I'm visiting in Korea and a new friend I've met is a boar hunter, it's a big thing over here, they use dogs and shotguns. He has a really hard time getting slugs for his 12 guage and when he can they cost out the butt......but he says they are legal......but shot shells are more readily available. I suggested he cast his own slugs and reload......I doubt he can get primers but what would be entailed with using exist shot shell load with No.4 or 00 buck or some of the other loading available and using those to reload with a slug he cast himself?
Old December 18, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Gbro

An old friend once told me that during the depression they could not get slugs and would cut around the shot shell hull just below the shot charge and it would work very well on deer. Of course those were paper hull back then.
Old December 19, 2009, 07:53 AM   #3
.45 COLT

Delete

Last edited by .45 COLT; December 19, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old December 19, 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
reloader28

I've heard about cutting the shell to. A friend of mine cut one for me so I could see what he did, but I have'nt shot it. I'm sure it would shoot perfectly fine from a smooth bore, but I'm not sure about a screw in choke.
I make and shoot a lot of slugs, made just like the kid on youtube with the board. They are easy to make. Their pretty accurate from the 2 shotguns I've used (1 with a skeet choke the other a smooth bore) and hit like a ton of bricks.
I used a slug recipe, but if he doesnt reload he could still make a slug and maybe use it to replace the shot from a factory shot load, then just crimp it back shut. I would not recomend it tho.
My slugs are 525gr which is just under 1 1/4 ounce. I make that weight because of the recipe in the book.
I'd love to try one on a pig.

Last edited by reloader28; December 20, 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old December 19, 2009, 09:46 PM   #5
snuffy

Quote:
I've got a quick question. Got a bit of reloading experience but not with shot shell.
That's for sure!

Let me be blunt, NONE OF THE POSTS ON THIS THREAD ARE CORRECT! You don't just go substituting payloads in any kind of ammo. Slug loads are specially formulated to push a solid projectile, not a fluid shot column.

There's currently 2 ways to cast slugs. The Lee key drive slug and the Lyman sabot slug. Both work by placing them INSIDE a standard shot cup. Both companies have loading data, lee sends a sheet with their slug mold, Lyman's data is available in their shotshell reloading handbook,(the shotshell loaders bible). I'd suggest you buy one, then you could correctly advise those you are talking to.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=770274

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=778041

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 19, 2009, 10:20 PM   #6
.45 COLT

Delete

Last edited by .45 COLT; December 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old December 19, 2009, 10:32 PM   #7
snuffy

Go ahead then, don't mind me, obviously I don't know what I'm talking about. At least I won't be sued when you destroy your shotty, Look for "dixie slugs" to go after!

Moderators should close/delete this thread, somebody could/will get hurt!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 19, 2009, 11:53 PM   #8
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Not a good idea to swap lead shot and slugs. I have swapped lead shot and buck shot with no problems. But, slugs are a little different and it would be in your best interest to NOT use lead shot data for slugs. Like Snuffy said, lead shot is a "fluid" lead column where lead slugs are not fluid. If using choke tubes things only get trickier.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 19, 2009, 11:57 PM   #9
.45 COLT

I don't own a shotty. I've been at it for 50 years, never blown up a shotgun.

Before anybody has an apoplectic fit, I'll delete my "dangerous" posts.

DC
Old December 20, 2009, 01:29 AM   #10
reloader28

snuffy
If you're referring to mine, I did use slug data as I stated in my post and when you load them, yes you do have to put them in a wad.
I reload my own,and I darn sure dont change out loads (tho I've heard of guys doing it) and I would not and did not recommend it ( sorry, forgot to add that but edited it in). I said maybe.
I dont believe changing from buckshot to a slug would really have any bad results as long as the weights were the same. But like I say, I would'nt recommend it, I use slug data.

ICH
You can use chokes like you said, but I dont go tighter than OPEN personally. I've never had problems with that. Would like to try a rifled choke.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:52 AM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Lead is fairly easily swaged down...if you are talking .001"-.003". Anything over a 3 thousandths constrictions, especially when using anything but pure lead, should be dealt with extremely carefully. Measure carefully.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~