The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
HeadHunter

Pocket Autoloading Pistols for Personal Defense

My latest article on Personal Defense Network.
Quote:
Small autoloading pistols, whether referred to as pocket pistols, hideout guns, backup guns, or mouse guns, get no respect. Frequently maligned by firearms trainers as too small, inaccurate, and not powerful enough, they are the red-headed stepchildren of the firearms community. Nonetheless, these little guns represent a major segment of the firearms sales market.
Pocket Autoloading Pistols for Personal Defense

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight
Old April 19, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
C0untZer0

They're also called micromatics !!!

I don't beleive that they are not respected.

The Rohrbaugh R9, Kahr PM9/CM9 and MK9 are generally well thought of by those who have them. I held the Sig-Sauer P290 and didn't like the way it felt in my hand, but it seems to be a reliable little semi auto.

The Sig-Sauer P238 and Colt Mustang are both really popular pistols.
The LCP has sold like hot cakes !
Old April 19, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
KyJim

Jim's Rules of Carry:

1. Any gun is better than no gun.

2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not.

3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place.

4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Aristides

Jim,

This might just be an extension of your rule #1, but the point is slightly different:

A gun you will carry is better than a gun you will not.
Old April 19, 2012, 11:42 PM   #5
RubenX

Mike Tyson's punch = 1,800 PSI
380 ACP punch = 21,500 PSI

Doing the math, a little Ruger LCP is like carrying 11.94 Mike Tyson's in your pocket.
Old April 20, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
C0untZer0

If I had a choice of rear-ending someone in a car accident, a CCP holder carrying a 380 ACP or Mike Tyson...

I'd opt for the CCP holder.
Old April 20, 2012, 10:33 AM   #7
RedBowTies88

Quote:
If I had a choice of rear-ending someone in a car accident, a CCP holder carrying a 380 ACP or Mike Tyson...

I'd opt for the CCP holder.

You hate his voice that much?
Old April 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Aristides

I'm guessing it's not just that his voice is so annoying, but on the other side of the equation, CCP holders are just naturally classy people.

Old April 20, 2012, 02:35 PM   #9
dsk

I'd rather rear-end the CCP holder as well, for Mike Tyson has a long history of not being able to control his emotions.
Old April 20, 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
jibberjabber

Big advantage

The best thing about pocket carry is that you can have your hand already on your firearm without looking like it. It's very sneaky and could be helpful in a self-defense situation.
Old April 20, 2012, 07:27 PM   #11
KyJim

Quote:
Jim,

This might just be an extension of your rule #1, but the point is slightly different:

A gun you will carry is better than a gun you will not.
Absolutely! I like carrying a 1911 in cool weather but I'm just not going to carry one in the summer because of the clothing I wear. Then it is most often a pocket pistol.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:24 AM   #12
G.T. Smith

I like mine!

Here is a picture of one of three different CCW's I carry at different times or sometimes together. I probably should leave this one at home because of it's antique status or whatever but I believe it is happier doing what it was designed to do. I've been shooting Blazer .25 FMJ ammo in it and it hits great out to about 25 to 30 feet. At 7 yards it will shoot through the 1/8" plywood target board and continue on through a pine 2X4" board. I would not want to get shot with one of these. It is tiny. This is a 1908 Colt vest pocket pistol that was manufactured in 1922. It is hardly noticeable in my pocket. From what I have read about them, it is not wise to carry it chambered because if it is dropped it could fire. My primary summer carry is a model 37 S&W or a model 65 .357, both of which should give me enough time to get a round in the chamber of this poor little Colt
have a great day!
gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt .25 left.JPG (156.6 KB, 31 views)
Old May 8, 2012, 07:22 PM   #13
HeadHunter

A police officer friend in South Georgia enjoys calling me to tell me about the scumbags who get shot down there with mouseguns. They have a shooting about every other week down there, almost all with mouseguns.

The last two were one shot incidents with .22s; both created instant cessation of hostilities in hardened criminals who had done a lot of time. The one last night is on the verge of death from a through and through wound to the stomach.

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight
Old May 8, 2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Therealkoop

I carry an LCP a lot.

Id say its probably the absolute last thing Id want to have if I ever needed a gun though. Competing with the LCP vs my M&P with knocked-down capacity or even my 1911 is literally a joke. Nothing about the gun is fast or smart or powerful.

Doesnt stop me from being lazy and carrying it though.