The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2007, 10:21 AM   #1
chiroshooter

Reloading the 280

I have a Ruger #1 chambered in 280. I have been shooting Rem, Fed and Hornaday ammo and I am not pleased with the results ie pattern. I am confident that this gun can do better. Anybody out therehave any good loads for this cartridge and or suggestions?
David
Old June 4, 2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Shoney

The 280 in the #1 is an excellent choice, as you should be able to procuce loads with velocities in excess of the 7mmMag with much less powder.

However, Rugers (most often their bolt models) are notorious for having a drunken monkey occasionally break into their factory and go absolutely ape with the air torque ratchet on their lug screws. Improper heavy screw torque and other things can cause the accuracy problems . Read
http://groups.msn.com/VarmintHunting...71600288923594
before you start fiddling with handloads.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 4, 2007, 03:43 PM   #3
chiroshooter

280 information

Hey thanks for the info. I will print that out and take it to a gunsmith to have the work done. Do you have any experience with any of those procedures?
Dave
Old June 4, 2007, 03:58 PM   #4
ZeroJunk

I was going to tell you to try Norma.We were shooting dime size groups with their factory loads 25 years ago.But,they have probably been bought and sold since then.The only Norma I can find now in 280 is a 156 grain Oryx at $ 40 a box.As for reloading I like Reloader 19,but the moderators would give me 30 days in the electric chair if I said how much.