The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Northslope Nimrod

Recommend good pump shotgun.

I want a pump shotgun for home defense. I also want a shotgun that I can take duck hunting if I am invited. Currently I have a single shot 20 gauge that has served me well pheasant hunting...or I borrow my dads Remington Semi-auto. Back to the point....I want to go as inexpensive as possible....but still having a quality firearm that meets both purposes.
Mossberg? Remington? New England? Which models? Are there some with interchangeable barrels? (ie: short for home defense...long for hunting)
Old March 4, 2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Sven Hoek

I have had a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 for years now. I love the location of the safety, because it’s really the only true ambidextrous stock safety that I’ve seen on a new shotgun. It really helps if you have to shoot left handed like I do. I'd get one of the Mossberg 500 combo units they have on sale every other week at Big 5. You can get the 12 gauge with 2 barrels which include an 18.5 inch and a 26 inch for $219.99. They also carry the 20 gauge for the same price and they both hold 6 shells.
Old March 4, 2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Steamboatsig

I am a newbie, but I have always wanted to say this, "Use the Search feature!"
Old March 4, 2005, 05:03 PM   #4
WillBrayjr

The Remington 870 Express 12ga with 3 barrels. a 28in for bird hunting and skeet, 21in fully rifled barrel with built in scope base for deer hunting, and a 18.5in barrel for home defense.
Old March 4, 2005, 05:04 PM   #5
thelast2

I would say check on the remington 870 with a heavy police barrel and then buy a seperate barrel for duck hunting as they are interchangeable. Remington used to offer a combination of both a deer barrel and the longer remchoke barrel also. But if you can afford it I would say buy a heavy barrel police model shotgun and then just swap in the longer barrel when needed. Mossberg also makes the 590 in a heavy barrel and you should also be able to get a longer barrel for that. I prefer the Remington as do most people when it comes to the heavy barreled version. But I dont have anything against Mossberg and they have been great guns for my buddie who has several, so either way I dont think you could go wrong.
Old March 4, 2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Brian Dale

Any of the Big Four.
Never have a rifle and a pith helmet in your car at the same time. If you do, then some day you’ll take the rifle out of the car and put the pith helmet on your head, so you can take all of your odds, ends, and coffee cup into the house in one trip. When you do this, one of your friends will drive past and see you. Wearing a pith helmet and carrying a rifle. In your yard. You will never live this down.
Old March 4, 2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Edward429451

Remington 870 Express. Comes with choketubes, pick up a police trade in barrel for HD (around 50 bucks).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note; my buddy just got a 1957 Wingmaster unfired in the box! in mint condition. Any guesses as to what its worth?
Old March 4, 2005, 08:46 PM   #8
Overkill

The best kept secrect in pumps...Winchester. Try a 1200/1300. Winchester has the smoothest action of all.
Old March 4, 2005, 10:42 PM   #9
siggy2

get an 870 remington u can get barrels and chokes for it all over their resonable in price and are relible beyond belief just ask the miltary or the police.
Old March 5, 2005, 08:55 PM   #10
Mannlicher

going as cheap as possible, usually means going with a used shotgun. Nothing at all wrong with that though. There are some really great bargains at pawn shops.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 6, 2005, 04:56 PM   #11
44-40

Wal-mart remington 870 express, winchester 1300, mossberg 500 these are all pumps and if waterfowl is in mind buy a 12 ga., anything less is a waste of time.