The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 1, 2005, 01:54 PM   #1
superzeus

stoeger coach gun for home defense?

Alright, I already have a mossberg 500, a smith and wesson model 59 9mm double action pistol, a smith and wesson .38 special snubnose revolver, and a ruger mark I, I was thinking of purchasing a stoeger coach gun for home defense, or maybe a stoeger O/U for trap/skeet/clays as well as home defense, they seem like a pretty good deal and i was thinking of putting a the coachgun in a concealed place on the other side of my house from the mossy, in case i dont have time to get to the mossy, i was wondering if anyone had firsthand experience with one, my only concern is only 2 shots, im always afraid of missing with the first two and fumbling around for 2 more shells while someone is shooting at me, so i was thinking maybe put the 9mm and the mossy under the bed in my bedroom, and the .38 special and the coach gun in my laundry room (you never know, its the easiest place to put it in that part of the house) any ideas/comments are welcome
Old March 1, 2005, 07:40 PM   #2
n3twrkm4n

If you practice with a double barrel they load quickly and if the ejector is springy enough it will launch the shells out or you can practice with unloading and loading. Lawmen use to use it and it's a tried and true method. I would suggest putting a slug in one and double 00 buck in the other barrel. It should work out good just make sure you have IC or MOD on the slug side they work better.

My brother let me use his 16 gauge double barrel and I loved it, could shoot from the hip easily and accurately.
Old March 3, 2005, 03:09 AM   #3
Gabby Hayes

I've kept a Rossi 12-gauge coach gun as my HD longarm for years. It sits quietly in the closet -- no worry about springs taking a set, comes complete with dual triggers, hammers, springs and just about everything else that might break, and I never have to remember whether or not there's one in the chamber, or where the safety might be and which way I have to move it. Just thumb back the mule ears and she's ready to go.

Now if I could only remember which closet ...

If I was going to keep anything in the laundry room, I might think about how humid that place gets every time the washer or dryer goes to work. -- in my case about twice each year.
Old March 3, 2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I have sold a lot of the Stoeger double barrel "coach guns" since I've been
working in the gun trade. Wouldn't mind picking one up myself, for the
same purpose you mentioned.

Best Wishes,
Old March 3, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Had one about 10 ---yikes 15 -----years ago----good for playing around------not enough shots for serious work----was a little thick in the grip for my tastes.

It was a good gun overall----but there are better choices for your purpose for the same money or less.
-------Metallica
Old March 3, 2005, 01:14 PM   #6
bubbygator

I have one for HD - it shoots very nicely. I had to have my 'smith slick up the action cuz it was toooo tight.