The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2005, 09:32 PM   #1
You

Should I costomize my 870?

I still haven't gotten my 870 express in, but I have yet another question. I was wondering if I should costomze it? It is just a plain old express with synthetic stocks, 7 round magazine, and front bead sight. Should I costomize it or should I get a police version or magnum to use as a platform. I'm only 15 years old so I have to ask my parents for all of this stuff, and they dont really like to spend money on guns and I am not rich. That means I will only be fixing up one shotgun for the time being.

And do you guys know of any places online where I can get some good accessories? I was thinking about that Surefire forearm that alot of you guys have, but is that for cosmetic reasons or does it serve some other purpose besides the light?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This is a great forum. You all are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Old February 28, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2
tintcutter

No. The gun is one of the best shotguns ever made. The reason is that it is so useful as it comes. When you start to change things, you will lose that great variety. This list includes stuff like pistol grips, etc.

Surefire is a police light that is most useful for breaking into drug making houses and identifying bad guys. They come in a lot of forms but that is the main use, night enforcement work. Coon hunters don't always use a white light, some use red and green, but most night hunting is considered unfair and is made illegal as a result.
Old February 28, 2005, 10:28 PM   #3
9mmMike

With a +3 extension and I assume a 20" barrel you are good to go. That is a nice setup and close to my favorite 870. Mine wears a 20" rifle-sighted barrel and a sidesaddle but I will not be the last person on this board to suggest that your best modification will be turning some money into noise. The more shells you put through that new Express, the sweeter it'll shoot.
I also use primarily wood furniture and Pachmayr pads but with that synthetic you already have a nice recoil pad and as long as the gun fits you well, all you really need is lots of time and ammo.
Is that a rem-choked barrel? If it is, a good relatively cheap mod is the purchase of a couple chokes. They usually come with a MOD so an IC and maybe a SKEET might be nice to try.
Good luck,
Mike
PS. Did you mean COSTomize? That's a good one and can be so true!
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old February 28, 2005, 11:59 PM   #4
Romulus

Quote:
I'm only 15 years old so I have to ask my parents for all of this stuff
I think what you have now is plenty, and not just for a 15 year old

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old March 1, 2005, 02:10 AM   #5
Twycross

Check the Cabelas website. They have some pretty cool stuff there.
Old March 1, 2005, 02:27 AM   #6
cntryboy1289

I agree 9mmMike

Check out Cabela's, Cheaperthandirt.com, sportsmen guide, MidwayUSA and Brownells if you want a few catalogs to look at. A good set of chokes should be all you need right now. You can get a slug choke that is rifled so you get better accuracy and get a improved for birds, and a turkey choke if you decide to take up turkey hunting and spend less than $100. That would be the way I customized the gun for now. The shotgun you have is one of the most modified guns around. Most modifications are another way to spend money that should be spent on shooting the gun. The 20" version is as good as it gets for hunting turkeys or deer and does well on other game and is perfect for home defense. Keep saving the money for now and when you can afford to buy chokes for the gun, invest in one at a time. Start with the one you need most and then move on from there. I remember how it was when I was in highschool. Just remember this when it comes to money, the more you want, the less you will ever keep. I keep very little cause I want more guns all the time so it sometimes takes a few months before I get to spend it on a gun or accessory. Good luck and good shooting and welcome to the forum.
Old March 1, 2005, 08:37 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I was a little less than 15 when I got my first 870 back around 1959. It still works fine, though I've gone through some major changes in the interim. You've got plenty of time to decide what it and you "Need".

Right now, your money should go into ammo, range fees and lessons. Learn the Four Rules of Gun Safety and practice them as if your life depends on them, because it does.

Get the lightest loads you can find. Something like 1 oz of 8s or 7 1/2s will do.

Go shoot them up, using good form and repeat often.

HTH....
Old March 1, 2005, 06:13 PM   #8
You

The barrel is 18" in so I think the magazine is 6+1. Is 18" sufficient or is 20" the best.
Old March 1, 2005, 08:54 PM   #9
Brian Dale

What you have is perfect. Buy ammo.

I still have and like the shotgun my Granddad gave me when I was - what? 14, I think. Haven't changed a thing. If I were to go back and set up a first shotgun for myself, I might do it slightly differently than to duplicate that old one, but it would be a matter of slight improvements in fit, not anything major.

Dave's right, and tintcutter wrote it down beautifully.

Buy Ammo -- lots of Ammo.
Never have a rifle and a pith helmet in your car at the same time. If you do, then some day you’ll take the rifle out of the car and put the pith helmet on your head, so you can take all of your odds, ends, and coffee cup into the house in one trip. When you do this, one of your friends will drive past and see you. Wearing a pith helmet and carrying a rifle. In your yard. You will never live this down.