The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2001, 06:15 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Had my Garand rebarreled and when it was returned via UPS, I attempted to mount it in a new stock. When I attempted to put the trigger assembly in, it wouldn't fit. As it had a new stock, I fiddled with the stock a bit and removed some wood here and there. Still no go. Finally figured out that one of the legs which protrude beneath the receiver was bent inwards.

The solution was to bend it outwards of course. This was accomplished by driving a square piece of metal (hand filed for a very slight taper) between the legs and stopping short of the bridge (the piece which cams the firing pin away from the bolt face when the bolt is unlocked). The wedge was allowed to sit in the receive for three days. Afterwards, the trigger assembly could be snapped into place. Right now I'm leaving the trigger assembly in place to ensure that the metal develops a "memory."

Just thought I'd share my misadventures with you guys.
Old May 7, 2001, 06:49 PM   #2
johnwill

Another UPS success story. I guess they used your action for batting practice...
Old May 8, 2001, 03:29 PM   #3
zot

ups succes story

no kidding! they must hate guns, I got a AR-15 via
UPS and the box was smashed and 2 gouges in receiver,the
a-hole said either accept deleivery or not,I accepted and found the damage,S.O.G. said it wasn't them,UPS said I accepted damaged box, the guy who ordered it took it anyway
so that was a close call for my money I could have lost,
Fed-ex seems to deleiver faster and no messed up boxes,UPS
looks like they ran the box over with one of their trucks.
Old May 8, 2001, 04:47 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Damage to my M1 probably not attributable to UPS

I don't think it was UPS and I suspect the lower portion of the receiver was clamped (without support blocks) into a vise to effect the barrel change. This is a no-no as the compression caused one of the "legs" to bend inwards ever so slightly that visually, it was not discernable until dropped into a stock.

However, the upper handguard which clips onto the barrel was cracked for almost its entire length. That could be either careless packing or unnecessary roughness. It was glued back and I intend to drill vent holes in it later (probably brass line the holes for looks). Hey, it's my toy and I can do anything I want in butchering it.

BTW, this is the gun which was modified to take the M1D scope block mount. I'm fitting to a Nigerian stock with pistol grip and have to modify the bipod to fit the Garand gas-cylinder and will probably put a Smith Enterprise compensator on it too. It already has a rubber butt pad on the stock.
Old May 12, 2001, 04:27 PM   #5
johnwill

FWIW, handguards are frequently cracked during the process of removing the barrel band. That little sucker is almost impossible to remove without out the tool, which looks like a huge pair of snap ring pliers. I've run across cracked ones several times, and when I wanted to remove the band, I figured out why they were cracking them! I sent mine to a guy that had the tool...
Old May 14, 2001, 09:01 PM   #6
Doctari

I have the tool............

They still crack plenty.....<sigh>

Mike