The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
bubbatheroach

Many powders same result

So I have been reloading for about two years now. I have work up many different loads with a lot of powders and bullets. Is it wrong of me not to find the best of every load I come across? I don't need to shoot less than 1 moa all I need to do is shoot minute of man from about 300 yds with open sights, so I'm I all alone on this or just someone who just can't spend the time to find the right load for every weapon I own. Guess I justbwanted to know if I was the only one out here, thanks. Bubba
Old July 21, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
iraiam

Most rifles will shoot well enough for the vast majority of shooters right out of the box with factory ammunition. 1 MOA at 300 yards is 3.141".

It's not wrong at all, I have many loads that I worked up and figured good enough, the I have others that I was playing with .2 grains trying to really make it accurate.

Specifically some of my big game hunting loads are not as accurate as they could be I'm sure, but I can generally shoot 1 MOA out to about 400 yards. plenty accurate enough for most big game. These loads are designed to deliver high energy with effective accuracy.

I do have a long range hunting rifle that I worked up a very accurate load for, and is specialized equipment for all intents and purposes.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; July 21, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old July 21, 2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Let's not be fanatical.

Do what serves your needs. Life to too short to spend time gilding the lily.

You are not obliged to search out the ne plus ultra, even if you have the resources.

It takes a particular kind of madness to climb the pinnacle of any activity. You may pick up the bug in the future, but to get more accuracy than you require essentially takes away your time that could be spent at other pursuits more essential to your happiness. Raising kids, training dogs, worshiping, home repair, stock car racing etc. Very few loaders only have ONE hobby.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old July 21, 2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Reloader2

Many powders same result

I spent a lot of time hunting for the MOA load. After years at this I've come to a few conclusions that being some of my off the shelf rifles aren't that accurate and I am not that good at shooting without lots of practice. If I can keep them under 2 inches at 100 yards I feel comfortable hunting with it out in the brushy Pacific Northwest where most shots are under 200 yards.
I'd rather have a load shoot consistently at 2 inches than one that shoots well one day and then opens way up on another day.
Going out into the open country I would be more concerned with a better load.