The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 09:51 PM   #26
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have not handled hundreds but have handled a couple dozen all US but one. Not a single issue. Most were P-series but probably 5-7 were 1911's and they all ran perfect. So I can only speak from my experience.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old July 8, 2013, 10:41 PM   #27
Dragline45

Correct me if I am wrong but I from what I have been told the slides on newer Sig's are stronger than the old German ones. Regardless of all that though, Sig still makes a very high quality product and I would not hesitate to own another.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:51 PM   #28
lamarw

It is your money and your mindset. I find it curious you would be so opinionated without a single fact to support your postion.

Although, some will say just about anything "without foundation" simply to get a rise out of the rest of us.

By the way, SIG Sauer GmbH has never imported anything to the US. They have been known to export a few very fine firearms.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:04 AM   #29
thedudeabides

Quote:
You don't trust the P228? What about the P225?
I assumed that they didn't make any P225/P6s in the USA. I thought all examples were German or Swiss--and why old ones that get re-sold here always go so fast.

The P228 is still sold as the M11/and it's really just a P229 with some minor differences.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:16 AM   #30
kcub

Is there such a thing as a German equinox?

I suspect the new 227 (higher capacity .45) will be American made only; probably not much of a .45 market in Europe.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:55 AM   #31
TunnelRat

Quote:
probably not much of a .45 market in Europe.
And yet the P series that started it all, was the P220. What caliber was that again?

Quote:
I assumed that they didn't make any P225/P6s in the USA. I thought all examples were German or Swiss--and why old ones that get re-sold here always go so fast.
Ah I see you were talking about what American SIGs you would trust, gotcha.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 9, 2013, 07:12 AM   #32
WVsig

Quote:
And yet the P series that started it all, was the P220. What caliber was that again?
9mm was the original caliber of the P220. It was converted to a 45 ACP for the US market. The early P220s imported into the country were imported by Browning as the BDA.

Last edited by WVsig; July 9, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:43 AM   #33
TunnelRat

Quote:
9mm was the original caliber of the P220. It was converted to a 45 ACP for the US market.
Look at that, learn something new every day.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:10 PM   #34
Tom Servo
Staff

There were also versions in .30 Luger and .38 Super. I once passed on a .38 Super model thinking it was somebody's project gun.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:02 PM   #35
745SW

“The early P220s imported into the country were imported by Browning as the DBA.”

I believe the P220 I bought new back decades ago imported by Hawes preceded the Browning BDA. Appearance wise it was identical to the pictured Browning with heel/European mag release.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:05 PM   #36
tulsamal

Quote:
There were also versions in .30 Luger and .38 Super.
Arghhhh, don't remind me. Kills me every time I think about it.

I had heard about external extractor problems, especially with the 220. I have a US made 229 with both .40 and .357 SIG barrels and haven't seen an issue myself. All things being equal... I would prefer the old style. My 1980 West German P6 is a sweet little pistol.

On the other hand.... I really wouldn't buy a 250. The Air Marshals thought they were going to transition to that gun. Made sense. Then one gun could be different sizes, made off duty carry easier, etc. But the particular guns they were sent for testing failed and failed big. Last I heard, they cancelled any plans to buy any. I hope that SIG has fixed the various issues but I guess there will always be a dark cloud over that model.

Gregg
Old July 9, 2013, 04:16 PM   #37
tulsamal

Quote:
The early P220s imported into the country were imported by Browning as the DBA.
BDA.

Gregg
Old July 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #38
tulsamal

Quote:
I believe the P220 I bought new back decades ago imported by Hawes preceded the Browning BDA.
The Hawes was discussed and pictured in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148426

So looks like they were 76-77.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:45 PM   #39
WVsig

Yes BDA= Browning Double Action.... sorry for the typo.
Old July 9, 2013, 05:09 PM   #40
745SW

"So looks like they were 76-77."

Perhaps there was some overlap in the distribution of the Hawes and Browning. The image of the Hawes P220 (38Super) pictured in the link provided differs from the Hawes P220 (45ACP) I had, largely because of the slide.

I remember the purchase because they, the retailer, gave me the most hassle of any seller, three trips to get just that one P220. As far as I know it could have been Hawes themselves, at one point I was told it was stuck in customs. And they changed the serial number too.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:30 PM   #41
Xyrium

2013 P229 Elite Dark, .40. No problems, straight as an arrow. Using GECO 180g and Federal Eagle 155g FMJ, as well as Federal HST 180g JHP for the bad guys.
Old July 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #42
wheelyfun

Having owned both German and US made Sigs, I would say that the newest Exeter (US) made version of the P series pistols are outstanding!

Back in 1988, I owned a single stack P225 that was German made.
Outstanding fit and finish, accurate, ZERO malfunctions, decent trigger.

Last year, I owned a P220 Compact Gen2 SAS model, made entirely in Exeter, NH.
Outstanding fit and finish, accurate, ZERO malfunctions, decent trigger.

The folded-slide method worked back then, but I much prefer a milled slide!
The current finish that Sig uses is as good or better than any previous versions.

Buy any P-series, US made pistols that Sig makes....with confidence!

Old July 12, 2013, 10:00 AM   #43
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
There were also versions in .30 Luger and .38 Super. I once passed on a .38 Super model thinking it was somebody's project gun.
Dang, Tom, that hurts my heart just to read.
Old July 12, 2013, 10:55 AM   #44
RC20

I have been involved in two of the Exeter guns (SP2022 in both cases), the one I bought and the one my nephew bought.

Mine was just fine. Good fit and finish and function and continues to do so with pushing about 1000 rounds through it.

My nephews match it to to T (2 years after roughly) but on firing the brass had a ring in it.

Upshot was the chamber was badly reamed.

I don't think thats typical but it does say something about quality control that something that obvious was not caught.

New barrel just fine and functions just fine. Reports seem to be a few percentage of the US made guns have issues. They did try the usual BS about breaking it in and my brother came down on them like a ton of bricks.

We have no idea on the German side for failures and that does not mean flawed guns, but what you do to catch it before it goes out the door.
Old July 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #45
dgludwig

Quote:
I much prefer a milled slide!
The current finish that Sig uses is as good or better than any previous versions.

Buy any P-series, US made pistols that Sig makes....with confidence!
I absolutely agree. I've got three new, American-made SIG pistols, (the Model 220 Carry having the internal extractor) and they all perform flawlessly. I also prefer the forged, milled slide over the stamped/folded one, though I'm aware that some shooters prefer the "balance" of the older ones. Each to their own.
Old July 12, 2013, 11:46 AM   #46
TunnelRat

Quote:
I also prefer the forged, milled slide over the stamped/folded one, though I'm aware that some shooters prefer the "balance" of the older ones.
You put "balance" in quotation marks as if you don't believe it. Having owned both I much prefer the stamped slides. If it's in 9mm it's a non-issue in terms of reliability and the balance is noticeable and to me, more so, the weight is less. Now the stainless slides will have better corrosion resistance. But HK, for example, still uses carbon steel slides but treats them for corrosion resistance. It makes a noticeable difference in weight, especially if carrying.
Old July 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #47
WIN1886

The only one to be leery of is the SIG P220 Carry Elite Stainless....if you find one for sale please notify me asap so I can quickly remove it from the market so others are not tempted to buy this horrible pistol ! J/K , I love my American made SIG P220 Match Elite !
Old July 12, 2013, 12:06 PM   #48
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
I also prefer the forged, milled slide over the stamped/folded one, though I'm aware that some shooters prefer the "balance" of the older ones.

You put "balance" in quotation marks as if you don't believe it. Having owned both I much prefer the stamped slides.
No, I put the word "balance" in quotation marks because the meaning of the word in the context of this discussion is subjective by definition. I don't think that the stamped slide (and I've shot and handled different variants of them over the past few years) offers anything in the way of a "better" balance over the current slides. You (and others) do. Ergo my final sentence in the post that you didn't quote: "Each to their own."
Old July 15, 2013, 09:18 AM   #49
odugrad

I only have experience with Exeter SIGs. They are exceptional guns. And if you want Mec-Gar magazines, buy the MK25. They all come with Mec-gar.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:38 PM   #50
chaim

I've owned a West German P226, a German P229, and a US made P290RS. I bought, but am still waiting on a US made P250 Compact (MD State Police are taking 3-4 months to approve, or rather, "not disapprove", gun sales right now). The only one that ever caused me problems was the W. German P226 and I was so happy with the P290RS that I bought the P250. At some point in the future, I'll probably buy another P229, I may buy a P224 or P227, and I would love a P220 Carry, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them as US instead of German made SIGs.