The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Telperion

.357 SIG powder selection

I started loading .357 SIG with AA #9, based on recommendations that it was the premier powder for .357 SIG, but the results have been less than satisfactory. Lots of muzzle flash; pistol, clothes, and shooting bench get covered in unburned powder, and it's less accurate on paper than factory loads. Is it that #9 is too slow?

Does anyone have experience with using Power Pistol, VV N340, N350, or 3N37 in .357 SIG? How well do they meter, and what level of muzzle flash do they create? Any other powders that I ought to consider? My goal is to push a 125 gr bullet at 1350 fps to match the SD ammo I use.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:09 PM   #2
JohnLizCas

357 Sig

Mine works great with Red Dot powder. Easy cleanup and accurate. Load stats are easy to find on Hercules Powder site. John
Old June 3, 2007, 05:01 PM   #3
ledavatar

I've used PowerPistol on .357 Sig with great results. People say PowerPistol produces big muzzle flashes, but I haven't really been noticing. 8 grains under a 124gr bulllet seems to be the most accurate.

I've only experienced small amounts of ashy unburned power when I put in very weak loads. Are you putting at least the starting load?
Old June 3, 2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Telperion

Pretty much all my loads were spraying a lot of unburned powder. I tried tightening the crimp, and this seemed to help with muzzle flash and powder spray. I'll probably still experiment with Power Pistol or the VV stuff when I have an opportunity to do so.
Old June 3, 2007, 11:37 PM   #5
gandog56

I've used nothing but Unique so far, but I am intriqued. I have some AA # 9 around and may have to try a few rounds.
Old June 4, 2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Kentuckian

8.5gr of Power Pistol w/124gr bullet is a great load, IMO.

I started out using AA#9, but the PP gives better performance, and is more economical as well.
Old June 5, 2007, 07:39 PM   #7
nevadajohn

Powder

Power pistol,Blue dot, nuf said.John