The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Quincy

Browning Challenger .22 magazines

I recently picked up a Challenger II with three magazines. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but one of them is marked Browning on the bottom, the other two are not. The other two could be from a Mark III, as the have the cut out for a grip mag. release whereas the Browning one does not. Is there a way to tell if they are original Browning's or aftermarket?
Old March 12, 2017, 12:31 PM   #2
dgludwig

The original, Belgium-made Challenger, along with the Nomad and Medalist models, had "Browning" stamped on the bottom of the magazine. All the rest are aftermarket. The genuine article is pricey when you can find one. I think the same is true for the Challenger II models but I'm not sure. The Rimfire Central forum is a good source of knowledge for anything rimfire related.
Old March 12, 2017, 08:49 PM   #3
bn12gg

Original Browning Challenger II mag is --- 22LR. BROWNING -- dead center bottom of mag in subtle long oval indent.

.02. David.
Old March 16, 2017, 01:04 AM   #4
makarov

Medalist mags are hard to find, bought a Browning Nomad just to get a couple magazines. Good excuse to buy another gun!
Old March 16, 2017, 01:05 PM   #5
dgludwig

That's my plan, makaro. Because genuine Browning magazines by themselves can cost $100.00 and more, I'm looking for a "beater" Nomad for the mag(s) and, like you said, have a pistol to boot. Win-win!