The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
davery25

Nosler Custom Competition bullets - any good?

Hi guys,

My supplier of cheap Lapua Scenar bullets has run out for good so I'm looking for new projectiles to use for military rifle competitions (so a precision projectile)

I'm going to be reloading mainly for a 6.5x55 (m96) and was looking at the Nosler Custom Comp bullets as they're fairly cheap compared to the insanely highly priced Sierra MKs and Barnes equivalent.

Has anyone tried these in an m96 or m38 swede? How did they go?

I'm planning on using Prvi brass, whatever primers I have on hand and H4350 (AR2209) powder.

Cheers
Old September 10, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
rg1

Only Custom Competition Nosler bullets that I've used have been 77 grain bullets for .223 Rem in my White Oak Armament Match AR. They shoot as well or better than Sierra's 77 Match King in my rifle. Some say Sierra's are slightly more accurate and some say that the CC Noslers are better in their rifles. I think that the Nosler's with their lower cost are definitely worth a try. In my tests load data for the Nosler and Sierra 77 gr. BTHP match bullets can be interchanged.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Jimro

I shoot the 140 CC's through my Swedes, so far so good. M96 and M38. Carl Gustoff and Husquarna respectively.

Jimro
Old September 10, 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
davery25

thanks RG1,

I've used the Nosler S.H.O.T.S projectiles in my Howa 1500 .223 after I bought them accidently thinking they were the custom competitions. They've been the most accurate projectiles in that rifle to date so I guess there's that going for them.

I've read people reporting the custom competitions 'breaking up in flight' out of a swede and bits of it hitting the ground after 50 metres so i figured id best get more experiences with them before taking them to a competition.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
davery25

have you tested them off a bench yet jimro? If so what sort of accuracy are you getting with them? The competition is iron sights at between 100 - 500 metres so accuracy is far less critical then lots of practice but something that's at least capable of staying within 1.5" at 100 is fine
Old September 10, 2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Jimro

I haven't shot them from the bench, I'd just finished the safety workup for the powder I was using, WC872, and the 140gr CC bullet when I went to Fort Sill. I should be back at to Fort Knox at the beginning of next month and can get to the bench.

The load I used should be right at 2,400 fps, which with the high BC of the bullet just fine out to 600 yards. I've used CC's in my 308 accuracy loads with excellent results (every bit as good as Sierra), and the few high power shooters I know still using 308 recommend them in 155 and 175 grains.

Jimro