The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 4, 2014, 04:14 PM   #76
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by iraiam: [(In response to "that might not be the best idea if you ever need to use your gun in what you will want to claim is self defense. See posts 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 16, 18, 30, 38, 46, 55, 57, 58, 59, and 66")] ...possibly, but the bigger mistake would be firing my weapon in a situation that would leave the question of self defense in need of answering by anything other than physical evidence. I will admit that we generally don't get to choose these situations.

As I have said in other threads, as a private citizen; I must be absolutely sure of my justification to use lethal force, ...
Not firing a weapon in a striation that would raise questions regarding justification is a great start, but if do have to use force and you cannot produce sufficient evidence of justification in your "dealings with the court system, how "absolutely sure" you may be could well be for nought.

Your inability to be able to produce the necessary evidence may result from the instigating officers not having noted it at the scene, and that may in turn have resulted directly from your not having pointed it out to them when you had the chance.
Old April 4, 2014, 04:17 PM   #77
KyJim

Quote:
but the bigger mistake would be firing my weapon in a situation that would leave the question of self defense in need of answering by anything other than physical evidence.
You're walking down the street at night in Reno and a guy steps out of the shadows. He has his hand in the pocket of his hoodie and appears to be holding a gun. He tells you to hand over your money or he's going to shoot you and might shoot anyway just to watch you you die. You pull your pistol and fire two shots, killing the man. As it turns, out the man has only a cell phone in his pocket and no criminal record. Nobody else saw what happened. How are the police going to figure out you shot the guy in self-defense?
Old April 4, 2014, 04:23 PM   #78
iraiam

Quote:
You're walking down the street at night in Reno and a guy steps out of the shadows. He has his hand in the pocket of his hoodie and appears to be holding a gun. He tells you to hand over your money or he's going to shoot you and might shoot anyway just to watch you you die. You pull your pistol and fire two shots, killing the man. As it turns, out the man has only a cell phone in his pocket and no criminal record. Nobody else saw what happened. How are the police going to figure out you shot the guy in self-defense?
having been in that nearly exact situation, unarmed I might add, I don't need any hypothetical stories or anecdotal evidence, thank you very much, and I kept my wallet.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old April 4, 2014, 04:29 PM   #79
KyJim

Quote:
I don't need any hypothetical stories or anecdotal evidence, thank you very much,
Then why post at all in this thread? The thread is based on hypotheticals. Seems like just a way to avoid answering.
Old April 4, 2014, 04:34 PM   #80
iraiam

Yeah especially seeing how people just cut a partial quote and use it against me out of context.

So I guess You're right, there is no need for me to continue this discussion, enjoy!

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old April 4, 2014, 04:49 PM   #81
Tom Servo
Staff

We're running in circles and members are pecking away at each other at this point. If someone has novel insight to add on the matter, feel free to start a new thread.
Closed Thread