The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 13, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1
oldone

RIA Rear sites?

Shown above is a RIA .45 HiCap. My question is: How do I change the rear site? I would love to put in a rear site with white dots or even an adjustable site.

How do I get the old one off without damaging the gun and find the right size for a new site?

Is there a way that I can drill out the rear site back and fill it with paint of some sort?

Last edited by oldone; May 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old May 14, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2
GURU1911

Sight question

I must assume by the wording & context of your thread, that you are a "newbie virgin" to the 1911a1 genre of pistol. My best advice would be for you to remove the slide, bushing, & barrel. Secure pad, wrap, & ship the slide to "novak's guns" in parkersburg, wva. For sight removal & the upgrade of your choice.

Go to novak's guns on the web & take a look at their offerings. I have used them many times over the past 30 years and their slide milling & sight installs are always first class. I promise you will not be disappointed in their work.

However, if you insist on doing the work yourself, get a copy of jerry kunhausen's 1911 shop manuel from brownell's.

Sincerely,

guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 15, 2011, 12:23 AM   #3
scsov509

Looks like you have a RIA with GI sights from the picture? If so, RIA GI sights are a staked on front and then the rear sight is a .330''x65 dovetail. If you should opt to do it yourself, then the rear is the most difficult part. You need to secure the slide in a vice, heat the rear sight with a hairdryer (they're Loc-Tited in), and then drift it with a brass or nylon punch from right to left.

Alternatively, you can always order sights you like and find a local gunsmith to install them for you. Any reputable smith should be able to do it pretty cheap provided you order the correct sights. Check out somewhere like 1911forum.com under RIA to see what sorts of sights others are using.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:07 PM   #4
oldone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURU1911
I must assume by the wording & context of your thread, that you are a "newbie virgin" to the 1911a1 genre of pistol.
You ASSUMED wrong. Ive had this 1911A2 "rock" for a few years now and just wondered if it was possible for myself to change them out. I wasn't aware that I had to word or put something in a proper context in order to not be considered a "newbee virgin" to a gun. That's gotta be a first. Again, it's a 1911A2 not an 1911A1. Did iI forget to mention in my original thread the word "HiCap"?
Old May 16, 2011, 01:10 PM   #5
GURU1911

Apology offered to mr. Oldone

I sincerely apologize for any offense----there was none intended---merely attempting to help you with your sight question.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"