The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 13, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Creature

Custom powder horn...maker name?

Not sure if I should have listed this in the gear and accessories section...

I have a powder horn that was given to me by the daughter of an older gentleman who I looked in on from time to time. He is no longer able to live on his own and recently had to move to a nursing home. He was a flintlock shooter/re-enactor. His daughter gave all the rifles to the nephew (who couldnt care less about them I am sure). Out of appreciation for my time, she gave me one of his powder horns.

I suspect it in modern, but custom made. Can anyone ID the maker by the mark shown in the 1st photo (looks like a "W" over an "A")? Any idea what it is worth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6e22_1.JPG (17.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 6d95_1.JPG (18.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 6ed2_1.JPG (25.0 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Creature; June 13, 2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old June 13, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

You've got the right forum.

You might want to submit a letter & photos to Muzzle Blasts magazine or Muzzle Loader magazine. You can also try posting the inquire at Muzzleloadingforum.com. I dunno who WA is, but for one thing, his horn is original in that it doesn't follow the French & Indian War, American Revolution or Tansel family style pattern.
Old June 14, 2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Creature

Thanks for the advice!
Old June 14, 2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Pahoo

This is a very nice horn but not very old. I recognize the brass and it is still available from "The Possibles shop" Do not recognize the maker as there are so many good makers out there. In fact, would not be surprised if it's maker is still alive. Is the wooden plug lathe turned or carved? Very basic and well made. This piece would compliment any Buckskinner's outfit. Old horn has a look and sometimes this look is faked. Yours is an original piece and it's current age should not deminish it's attractiveness. Make sure it does not contain any powder.

Be Safe

Last edited by Pahoo; June 14, 2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: More info
Old June 14, 2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Creature

I have discovered the maker: Austin Walker from Portage, Michigan. He is a modern day horn maker and he is very good at it...it is a really beautifully made powder horn. Very well executed.

Now I wish I had a flintlock or percussion cap rifle to hang it on. Thanks for the help, all!
Old June 15, 2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Pahoo

Surprise, Surprise !!! ......