The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Miles2014

Stock P229/226 vs Legion 226

If you had a standard P226/229 would you trade it in and pony up the difference for a Legion?

Thanks!
Old April 16, 2018, 08:47 PM   #2
JMag1

P226 owner here. No plans to that with Legion, but I would like to add a P220 Legion SAO eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old April 16, 2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Bottom Gun

I’m a huge Sig fan and was sorely tempted by the Legions but decided against one. I saw a comparison someone made between the std Sig P229 and the Legion P229. He measured the trigger pull and found there wasn’t significant difference so the Legion series gets you the TruGlo sights, a special color and a coin. Not worth the price in my opinion. I’ll stick with the Sigs I already own.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old April 16, 2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Uncle Malice

The biggest reason I would pay the difference for the Legion is the X-series undercut trigger guard. Anything else can be done aftermarket... but it's a custom frame that unless you're gonna have someone grind on your stock frame... you're just not going to replicate the grip.

The trigger shoe is from Gray Guns and is nice... but it's not like the Legions get custom shop trigger jobs.... they're just normal 229 triggers. But you could send it to Robert Burke for his job which is PHENOMENAL.

If you're not dissatisfied with your current gun, I wouldn't make the exchange. If you really want the Legion series, save up and get that, too.
Old April 16, 2018, 09:50 PM   #5
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles2014:
If you had a standard P226/229 would you trade it in and pony up the difference for a Legion?
Depends on how much “difference” you’re talking about?
Old April 17, 2018, 12:47 AM   #6
rock185

Hello Miles2014, I have non Legion 226 and 229 pistols, and have owned other examples. I recently handled a used 226 DA/SA Legion. The shop also happened to have a used, standard, 226. I handled both. I did like the Legion's undercut trigger guard. The DA trigger on both guns was a wash. The SA on the used 226 was fairly crisp and, if anything, lighter than the Legion. The Legion SA trigger had quite a bit of creep before the hammer dropped. The Legion has features different than standard guns, but to me, the different features did not equate to a better or higher quality gun. Certainly nothing wrong with the Legions, they should serve as well as any other 226. But the whole Legion thing just seemed like clever marketing to me from the first, i.e., challenge coins, opportunity to buy more SIG products available only to Legion members,etc. The only thing missing seems to be a secret decoder ring FWIW, I would not trade my 226 or 229 straight across for the Legion I handled, much less trade + money for the privilege of joining the "Legion". club.......ymmv
Old April 17, 2018, 08:34 AM   #7
pblanc

I have a non-Legion P229 to which I have added the Grayguns P-SAIT trigger, the short reset trigger kit, G10 Piranha grips, and SIG X-Ray sights.

The only frame modification that I thought I might like on the Legion P229 was the relief at the underside of the trigger guard and maybe the additional checkering on the front strap. I do not care for the short beavertail, the front slide serrations, or the checkering on the underside of the trigger guard. I also prefer the look of the Nitron finish to that of the Legions and the Nitron finish seems to be more durable. And I prefer the regular slide stop and decocking levers to the miniaturized control levers on the Legion.

So in order to assess whether the frame treatment made any functional difference or whether there was something magical about the Legion trigger action, I shot my modified P229 back to back with a rental Legion P229 on three separate occasions. I found that for me the frame relief on the Legion made no significant difference and the trigger action on my pistol was actually superior to that of the Legion I shot. I have dry fired a few other Legions and have yet to find one with a trigger action that I feel is better than that of my pistol.

So for me, not considering the cost differential, going from a non-Legion to a Legion P229 represented a net loss rather than a gain. After some judicial shopping around for sales and good prices, the cost of the parts to modify my P229 (X-Ray sights, SRT kit, Grayguns trigger, G10 grips) was right around $300 so the total pistol cost (less my time) was still less than buying a NIB Legion.
Old April 17, 2018, 09:03 AM   #8
PPGMD

With exception of the different finish, and the Legion embellishments (which I am ambivalent on), the SIG Legion series have all the upgrades that myself and other that long time SIG shooters have been doing to our guns. Plus they undercut the frame, fully checker the front strap, and add the smaller beavertail that I like over the non-beavertail frames.
Old April 18, 2018, 04:54 PM   #9
jr24

I like the semi beavertail on the Legion models, but not enough to trade in my 229 for a 229 legion.

Just get a SRT trigger, or use that price difference to send your standard Sig to Bruce Gray.

Now, if they drop a 229 SAO legion I'd be all over it.
Old April 19, 2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
Nope, but if I had a current US-production P226/229, I'd trade up to an older West German P226/228.

Flame suit on!
Old April 19, 2018, 11:56 AM   #11
Austin HiPowers

Nope, I own a MK25 and bought it because of the extra mags, but the difference in price with the Legion models is just too much for me (they look cool though������)
Old April 19, 2018, 11:57 AM   #12
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77:
Nope, but if I had a current US-production P226/229, I'd trade up to an older West German P226/228.

Flame suit on!
No flamer here, my P228 and M11-A1, and my P6 and P239 SAS Gen2, all coexist nicely together!
Old April 19, 2018, 02:50 PM   #13
disseminator

I have a P226 Nitron, and a P226 Legion. Is the Legion better? IMO, yes it is. For me the better is mostly about the frame enhancements since I have upgraded my Nitron with G10's, SRT, etc.

The part you cannot upgrade, is the frame, and that is where the value is for me.

As for the finish, I have several thousand rounds through my Legion and it's my EDC and I take training classes with it regularly so it has seen a lot of use in the last few years. The finish has held up well. It has wear marks in the same places as my Nitron SIG's and I like the gun metal gray color myself.

Plus, I have a sweet Legion challenge coin and yes, a secret decoder ring. (but that's a secret.)
Old April 19, 2018, 04:45 PM   #14
WVsig

I will never buy another Sig produced under Cohen. I was tempted by the original version of the Legion but passed and when with custom CZ 75s from CGW instead. If you like the factory included upgrade then they are worth the money but most of the the upgrades are cosmetic. I would rather take a standard W. German gun and upgrade the trigger and the sights and end up with 95% of the Legion for less $$$.

I do not own a P229 but own 3 P228s, P220, P225 & P226. I have also owed P245s, P239s, other P220s, P226s etc... The ones I have now will stay and if I found the right pistol at the right price I would pick up an older German Sig but no new Sigs for me. I would not trade a good working Sig for a new one.

One day I will get a P210 but there are other guns on the want list that take priority.

Last edited by WVsig; April 19, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old April 19, 2018, 05:02 PM   #15
glockman55

No I wouldn't do that trade, I can't see the cost difference as being worth it.. wait a couple years, I have a feeling the used market will be full of them..CZ is coming on pretty strong..
Old April 20, 2018, 03:50 PM   #16
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I will never buy another Sig produced under Cohen.
ONE. HUNDRED. PERCENT. AGREED.

I even sold all of mine after getting burned. I'm super bitter about the whole thing.

If they fired Cohen today, I would buy 3 Sigs tomorrow. - another 229 elite of some flavor... maybe legion, another 226 mk25, and probably a 320 x-carry. Until then... I'm really enjoying being bitten by the CZ and Sphinx bug.
Old April 21, 2018, 05:15 PM   #17
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSig:
I do not own a P229 but own 3 P228s
I like my M11-A1, but not nearly as much as my P228
Old April 21, 2018, 09:42 PM   #18
wild cat mccane

Has Sig fixed the garbage finish they put on the Legion series?

If you are unaware of the Legion finish being the fast wearing of Sig's finishes, google.

I honestly don't know if it's being correct. Wouldn't buy if not.