The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 31, 2018, 10:08 PM   #1
mr bolo

whats it like at Indoor Ranges these days?

I havent been to an indoor range since the 1980's

When a person needs to take a break or use the rest room or something do you lose your shooting spot?

if your just by yourself do your guns need to be locked in a security locker while you go to the restroom for few minutes? or does somebody watch your stuff?

does stuff ever get stolen at indoor ranges?
Old January 31, 2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Cirdan

I think it varies by state and range.

I have a membership at a range that isn't at all intrusive. I would never consider leaving my guns unattended, but probably could. Of course, no one is watching it. My range also doesn't charge by the hour, just a flat fee.

There's a second indoor range in town. They do have an RSO on the range at all times.
Old January 31, 2018, 10:21 PM   #3
TXAZ

It may depend on where you go, but the few I go to if you leave your partner or bag on the lane (and trust the clientele ) your stuff and partner will be there when you get back from the restroom.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 31, 2018, 10:41 PM   #4
JWT

I have no problem leaving my guns and gear on the line if I need to use the head at my local indoor range. Have been doing it for over 10 years with no problems. That being said, range personnel keep a constant watch on what goes on.
Old January 31, 2018, 10:57 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

I haven't taken a lot of bathroom breaks during shooting sessions at indoor ranges, but if I were there by myself, I would probably take my stuff to the counter and ask the clerk to hold it for me.

Some indoor ranges charge by the hour, but most charge by the visit. If you need to leave the line for a break, usually you can go back when you're done. If the range is very busy, I can see how they might want to give the lane to another shooter and you might have to wait for another spot to open up to get back out there, but that has never happened to me.

I don't recall ever hearing about anything getting stolen from a shooter at an indoor range in this area.
Old January 31, 2018, 11:19 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I shoot at in indoor range. I have an annual membership, so if they aren't busy I can shoot as long as I want. If they're busy, I get one hour. Walk-in customers pay by the hour or half-hour. If there's nobody waiting, they can buy two hours. If there are people waiting, one hour is the limit. That includes the time you need to police up your lane and sweep up your brass.

During your hour, you can wander off to take a bathroom break, read a magazine, have lunch, or whatever. It's your hour and you're paying for it. You can leave your gun(s) and gear in the lane if you wish, but the range does NOT accept any responsibility or liability for it, and they don't assign someone to watch your stuff. The range doesn't have lockers available, so if you want to stash your gear mid-session you're out of luck.
Old January 31, 2018, 11:49 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

Shoot....indoors? That sounds silly.
All depends on your particular range, leave your gear, keep your spot is my experience.
Old February 1, 2018, 01:24 AM   #8
mr bolo

guns are valuables, so I probably wouldnt walk away unless I was with a friend that could watch my gear

you wouldnt walk away with your wallet or other items of value, it's the same with your firearms

I remember hearing of people at other places like dept stores trying on clothing and having their wallet / purses stolen when they step away for a minute.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:04 AM   #9
FITASC

Where I live now, I only shoot at an indoor range; I have never felt uncomfortable leaving my guns in the stall if I had to hit the head for a few minutes. Most folks are too busy shooting their own guns to even notice if you are gone. Folks might need to go get another target from the front counter, use the head or just need to talk to someone so they leave the range for a few. With everyone armed, who's going to do something THAT stupid?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 1, 2018, 02:46 PM   #10
Machineguntony

Why not just go to an indoor range and find out?

I love shooting at indoor ranges. I love meeting fellow shooters and talking to other people about guns. Back when I was single, I even scored a few dates from the shooting range.

Shooting ranges are fun places. I’m a member of three indoor ranges in my locality, two of which are old school ranges and one is the modern guntry club type.

If you haven’t been to a shooting range in a while, the biggest change in the range environment nowadays is that most gun ranges/businesses are much more customer friendly (I remember the old days). Gone are the days of the old crusty gun range where the staff were the grumpy and mighty know-it-alls. This change in attitude is probably a result of women and the younger generation getting involved in the shooting sports.

Some ranges, especially if its a guntry club, go over the top in the friendliness and customer centric service.

You will enjoy yourself.
Old February 1, 2018, 06:50 PM   #11
Mike38

I usually shoot early morning, 6:00am or so. Needless to say, I'm usually alone. On the rare instance that someone does come in before I'm done, I leave my gear on the bench at the line during a bathroom break. Great bunch of guys and gals at the indoor range I'm a member of. Small towns make a difference. Years ago I was a member at a range indoor and outdoor, near a large city. Never left anything unattended there.
Old February 1, 2018, 07:02 PM   #12
DaleA

Quote:
What’s it like at Indoor Ranges these days?
Well, like so many things it depends…

I have access to what I consider a ‘modern’ indoor range that I like a lot.

https://www.billsgs.com/range/

They charge by the visit, not by the hour so you can bring several guns and ‘make a day of it’ if you like.

The restrooms are large, well-lit and clean, I would have no problem bringing my wife along.

The ventilation is fine.

They rent guns, (you must use their ammunition in their guns, which I think is entirely reasonable) and have IMhO a good selection.

If they are not busy and you are not a clueless jerk they let you pick up your own brass.

They do not let you draw from a holster. Only one firearm on the line at a time, you can only load your gun at the firing line, not on the tables at the back of the range.

Another range very similar but farther away from me is:
https://www.osseogunclub.com/

And then we still have some of the older places that charge by the hour or half hour, where the ventilation is only adequate at best and the rest room facilities are ‘just adequate’ at best.

But they are still in business so I suspect they’ve got a loyal following too.

Then of course there is an amazing high tech range like the one Dakota.Potts talked about in this post.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591140

As far as security goes, well it’s a concern. Since I normally bring more than one gun to the range and you can only have one gun on the firing line, my other guns are on a table behind me. Someone could grab something out of my range bag while I’m shooting and I would not notice. That said, there are video cameras and the management could check on it. It’s something I think about but don’t really worry too much about.

So what’s it like at an indoor range? It depends on the range.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:13 PM   #13
cjwils

I agree with most of what was said above. In addition, all of the indoor ranges in my area prohibit aluminum or steel cases. They prohibit any lead-only bullets, except for .22 rimfire.

Also, they prohibit rifles above a certain size or velocity, such as nothing more powerful than a .308. (Yes, the indoor ranges in my area really do prohibit any 30-06, even though .308 is ok.)
Old February 1, 2018, 09:47 PM   #14
langenc

I read about a shooter that had something stolen while he was shooting. The shooter in the lane next to him departed and took some of his stuff while he was busy shooting. I dont recall where that occured.

I shoot at a public, outdoor range. Ive often wondered about my stuff on the bench while Im walking downrange (100 yrds). I dont walk as fast as the good ole days. Someone could easily pick up and depart w/ anyones equip.
Old February 2, 2018, 10:33 AM   #15
mr bolo

langenc

I had that happen to me at the public outdoor range / no range master / wildlife area

when I left my table to go down range somebody stole some of my ammo when my back was turned

now I put my guns back in the trunk before I go down range, or have my friend watch it
Old February 2, 2018, 11:55 AM   #16
David R

Our indoor range has cameras.

Pay by the hour, month or year. If its busy, I wait like everyone else. If its dead, I can shoot as long as I want. I only join in the winter. Range near me is 25 yards. There are a couple 50 yard but too far for me to drive.

Nothing would be stolen there.

Not the safest place I have shot. Lots of those pew pew pew folks.

Anything is legal except shot. Slugs are fine.
Any caliber...

David
Old February 2, 2018, 02:25 PM   #17
SIGSHR

Here in NJ indoor ranges are the norm. Varies a great deal. At one Range I visit-Shore Shot-they recently renovated their range, their sound baffling is EXCELLENT ! At one range session the people in the lane next to me were firing a .223 and a .243 Winchester. They were loud but not to the point of being unpleasant or distracting. At another range-Garden State Shooting Center-they have range rods available. If I have to I drain the bladder before a range session. At the long gone Englishtown range when the RSO called a cease-fire
you cleared your firearm, bolt back, action opened, when he said "Check Your Targets." he watched the line while you went downrange. At another range one of the owners thanked me for helping some inexperienced shooters with safety tips, helping them clear jams, etc. So far I have not encountered any really obnoxious people, real yahoos, etc.
Old February 2, 2018, 03:38 PM   #18
fredvon4

Never had an indoor range I was comfortable leaving my stuff un attended...BUT all has a RO that I knew and trusted....just cleared weapon and left with him or her while i went inside to shop or pee

Out door ranges I am much more leery of leaving my stuff at a bench to go out to porta potty

Sux at my age to have week bladder.....

Get to know you range officer
Old February 2, 2018, 09:25 PM   #19
reynolds357

I no longer shoot indoor ranges. The three in this area are infested with crazies. Kind of like wanna be Rambo crossed with wanna be Robocops.
Old February 2, 2018, 10:02 PM   #20
cjwils

"I no longer shoot indoor ranges. The three in this area are infested with crazies. Kind of like wanna be Rambo crossed with wanna be Robocops."

That tells me that those ranges are not properly managed.
Old February 3, 2018, 01:27 AM   #21
diverwcw

I prefer indoor ranges. I like the convenience of it being not too far from my house, no hoofing it downrange to check your target(s) and, most of the time, no annoying cease fires. I like the membership aspect; I certainly get my money's worth. Finally, I'm usually in and out in about an hour.
Old February 3, 2018, 07:43 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

most indoor ranges have cameras and take IDs before allowing shooters to enter.
Deters theft. I still wouldn't leave things unattended.
Old February 5, 2018, 11:30 AM   #23
jersurf101

Noise and airborne lead are the reason I don't frequent indoor ranges. Most are well ventilated but I still don't like the concept. That said the ones I have been to were professionally run and safe. It can beat freezing on the out door range in sub zero temps.
Old February 5, 2018, 06:20 PM   #24
reynolds357

Quote:
That tells me that those ranges are not properly managed.
You are absolutely correct. Management is the worst of the offenders. Know it alls. One of the managers was always trying to tell me know to shoot. Telling me how I was doing it wrong. I finally asked him "How many times have you beat me in a sanctioned shoot?" His answer, "never." I then asked "How many times have I beat you?" He said "too d..n many!" and walked off.

The owners of one wants tocontinually whine about something the Police are doing wrong.

The owner of the third won't shut up about "you should really start shooting and training fist fire."

I am the kind who does not give and does not usually appreciate unsolicited advice.

Last edited by reynolds357; February 5, 2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old March 16, 2018, 12:45 PM   #25
mr bolo

Ive been trying out indoor ranges several times recently, and I really enjoyed indoor range shooting, especially for handguns, the conditions are much better than the outdoor ranges Im use to, it's safer at the indoor range

I really like the automatic target holders, very easy to change a target , no interruptions

plus they let you stay as long as you like and dont charge by the hour at the places Ive been going, Im usually there for two hours per visit, and go with a friend that keeps an eye on my gear.

going to indoor ranges gives me more choices, can go in anytime rain or shine, or in the evening after dark.

having more places to go shooting is lots of fun, it costs a little more, but it's worth it just to get away from the groups of young guys that do lots of unsafe spraying and shooting garbage, and unsafe gun handling at the free public range outdoors.