The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 7, 2018, 02:39 PM   #26
ThomasT

I am not sure what you guys are talking about on the "Hokey Pokey" thing. That one I may need the manual for. I am pretty good at figuring out how to disassemble and reassemble stuff but the P89 I had I would have needed the manual for that one for sure. You had to open the slide and push down something, I forget what now but I needed to read up on it to get it apart. Once done it was easy but not intuitive.
Old January 7, 2018, 02:53 PM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
I am not sure what you guys are talking about on the "Hokey Pokey" thing.
You've got to have insert and remove the magazine several times to take the gun apart and put it back together, unless you have done away with the mag disconnect bug (not a feature in my book) .....
Old January 9, 2018, 01:54 PM   #28
bassJAM1

Quote:
I love the idea of a 22 revolver. I have some revolvers and enjoy shooting them D/A the way they are meant to be used.
You'll pretty much want to stick with a S&W then, possibly a Dan Wesson. Most other .22 revolvers (including my High Standard) have horrendous DA trigger pulls, but the Smith 17/617 is pretty nice still.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:09 AM   #29
Armybrat

Don't forget the little Model 34 S&W - just as nice as its big brother:

Old January 11, 2018, 01:43 PM   #30
SauerGrapes

That's a nice mod 34 armybrat.

bassJAM all my revolvers are S&W's. All pre lock of one flavor or another.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 28, 2018, 01:45 PM   #31
kramden

I recently bought 2. A Ruger SR22 and an M&P22. Both are excellent. But if I had to pick only one it would be the MP22. Has a big gun feel and I'm more accurate with it.
Old September 22, 2018, 12:04 AM   #32
FindANewSlant

Consider a Ruger SR22.
Old September 22, 2018, 12:27 AM   #33
TruthTellers

.22 is so great to have and the guns so cheap, there's not much reason not to have a few revolvers and pistols in .22 LR. I figure an NAA, an 8 or 9 round snubbie, a convertible single action with a long barrel and adj sights, a pocket semi auto, a "tactical" semi auto, and a target semi auto cover everything for .22 in a pistol.

I'd say look at a revolver, but then again read my sig and you'll understand why I say that.
Old September 22, 2018, 08:12 AM   #34
Drm50

I've got a couple dozen 22 handguns. 99% of them are obsolete models, maybe
100% I don't keep up with the new stuff. My favorite is S&W m17 K22. It is a
serious 22. In S&W I also have a 34 & 41. The 34 is a nice gun but not equal to
a 17. The 41 is a fine pistol but a range gun, The older Colts, Brownings & Hi-St
are some fine pistols also. The only handguns in 22 that I have with fixed sights
are a couple old 3screw Ruger Single-6s.

I have shot a lot of the new model guns, have owned most of them. I don't like
stainless but I've had a couple 617s/ 10 shot in the last year that were very fine
shooters. I think a lot of the plastic 22 are plinkers and not for serious shooting.
The biggest disappointment I have had was a SIG Mosquito. I bought one when
1st out. Paid premium price because of hype & demand. Worst buy I ever made.
Old September 23, 2018, 05:04 PM   #35
ManyMag

I currently have K22, Ruger Mark III and Sig P250c 22. I use the Ruger with a barrel attached light I can turn on/off with my trigger finger. I primarily practice with the P250 because the grip perfectly matches my edc, a P320c + holster + magazine pouch. The K22 just lays there looking pretty.
Old September 24, 2018, 07:27 PM   #36
OneFreeTexan

Most 22 revolvers hold nine, don’t they?
Old September 24, 2018, 07:31 PM   #37
OneFreeTexan

Probably not a serious contender,,, But I have so much fun with my Phoenix 22, with he changeable barrels....
Old September 25, 2018, 08:03 AM   #38
Fishbed77

Quote:
I vote for a .22 clone of whatever other handgun(s) you have. If you have a S&W M&P, get the M&P22. If you have a Sig 226, get the Sig Mosquito. Etc, etc. Will give you double the practice for your pistol of choice.
My advice would be the exact opposite of this. In my experience, most of these look-alike pistols are of cheap potmetal construction and unreliable. The Mosquito is just a terrible firearm.

The exception to this trend in my opinion is the Ruger SR22 pistol, though it doesn't mimic any specific centerfire pistol in appearance or operation, or options like the CZ Kadet adapter, which can be expensive and tough to find.
Old September 25, 2018, 08:10 AM   #39
Wag

Last Saturday, I went shooting with one of my buddies and he had just picked up a Kel-Tec PMR 30. Ugly little pistol but a lot of fun to shoot. Also, it's a .22 magnum pistol so a bit pricey for ammo, of course.

I think it's pretty high up on my list of "next" guns to buy.

--Wag--
Old September 27, 2018, 11:12 PM   #40
gbran

I have several .22s, but recently bought the Ruger Single Ten, 10 shot SA revolver. I'm real happy with it.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:53 AM   #41
Cosmodragoon

Revolvers are nice because they are reliable and can skip over a dud. Trigger pull tends to be heavier in rimfire. As I get older, more arthritic, and more interested in all my guns being fun and easy to shoot; this becomes a slightly less attractive prospect. As much as the increased wheel capacity is cool, it also means a lot more holes to clean. If I was going to buy a .22 revolver today, it would probably be the LCRX with a 3" barrel.

As far as semi-autos, I really like the Ruger SR22. It's a DA/SA, which matches well to other guns of that type. It seems better made than some other guns in this class. It's reminiscent of the Walther P22 but much better, more reliable, and less picky about ammo in my experience.
Old September 29, 2018, 02:56 AM   #42
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFreeTexan View Post
Most 22 revolvers hold nine, don’t they?
8, the only .22's that hold nine are Taurus and H&R. Probably a few off brand ones from long ago, but among major manufacturers it's Taurus and H&R.

Some only make them with 6 round capacities. Charter Arms <_<
Old September 29, 2018, 08:29 AM   #43
GarandTd

I've picked up the M&P 22 compact since the start of this thread. It is a very forgiving 22 auto. It cycles pretty much everything I've tried. It doesn't need to be clean to work and it field strips easily. I had some issues with the adjustable sights on mine, but S&W was quick to send me what I needed to fix it. It is made in house by S&W. Aluminum slide, stainless barrel, poly frame.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:51 AM   #44
Ricklin

Here's the thing

.22 pistols and revolvers are like potato chips, can't have just one.

The small J frame size revolvers will have a heavy double action trigger pull, it's the frame size that is the deal breaker with regard to a nice light double action trigger pull.
The .22 rim fire takes a healthy whack to produce consistent and reliable ignition. The small J frame size makes it impossible to reduce the spring and have consistent ignition.

That's my understanding when I researched reducing the double action pull on my two men and a boy Taurus 94 revolver.

Since it's a range toy I just shoot it single action. Fast double action is possible, but for me it's a spray and pray thing, given that 13 pound double action pull.
Old September 30, 2018, 09:33 AM   #45
Chainsaw.

Personally, beings I own one, I would caution against the SR22. I bought mine as a suppressor host, which it is fine for. Aside from that the whole gun is just, meh. The trigger is kinda mushty, the sights are okayish, it feels cheap, and it’s pattern is reminiscent of buckshot. Il keep it as a trainer for new ahooters and again as a sup host, but I think I’m going with the aforementioned mkIII with the long barrel.
Old September 30, 2018, 02:45 PM   #46
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I would caution against the SR22. I bought mine as a suppressor host, which it is fine for. Aside from that the whole gun is just, meh. The trigger is kinda mushty, the sights are okayish, it feels cheap, and it’s pattern is reminiscent of buckshot. Il keep it as a trainer for new ahooters and again as a sup host, but I think I’m going with the aforementioned mkIII with the long barrel.
This is all relative. Compared to the mkIII or other fancy target pistols, compared for the same things, it might be "meh". Compared to other DA/SA options, other guns that look like their center-fire counterparts, or just more packable rimfire pistols, I think the SR22 is very good.

(Compared to the P22 that is an obvious comparison, the SR22 might as well be made of solid gold.)
Old September 30, 2018, 04:49 PM   #47
Prof Young

Beretta M9 in 22 cal.

I just bought a Beretta M9 in 22 cal and really love the thing. It's the same size as a Full sized Beretta 92fs but lighter. I've put a couple hundred rounds through mine and it has quickly become my favorite range gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 30, 2018, 10:56 PM   #48
Chainsaw.

This is very true Cosmodragoon. Kinda comparing pineapple to turnips.
Old October 1, 2018, 06:11 PM   #49
gwpercle

My favorite is a Ruger MKII stainless steel that went to Clark Custom Guns and had a trigger and accuracy job done and a Millet SP-1 Red dot sight mounted.
That package is so Sweet !
Every 22 shooter should experience shooting a gun that has been worked on by the Clark's, I'm smiling just thinking of shooting that MKII .
My model 41 S&W is jealous and wishes it could shoot groups as small... it can't , so stays home in the box.

Gary
Old October 1, 2018, 09:39 PM   #50
peacefulgary

Quote:
I love the idea of a 22 revolver. I have some revolvers and enjoy shooting them D/A the way they are meant to be used.
Shooting a revolver double action is certainly the way to go for defensive shooting, as time is of the essence.

But for hunting or bulls-eye shooting, single action is definitely better.