The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 19, 2017, 12:16 PM   #26
hagar

I'd like to add, the TC is not a gun for novices or kids. Just because it is a single shot does not mean it is not dangerous, and it comes with a hair trigger. Try this in a safe place with a backstop, load a cartridge, cock the hammer and while pressing the trigger hold the hammer and let it go forward. Now pull it back and let go...
Old September 19, 2017, 10:34 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

One of the "issues" that were "corrected" in the G2 Contender is the ability to recock the hammer without opening the action.

Yes, if you manipulate the original Contender action the way you describe, it becomes a "slip gun". Open the action after lowering the hammer, and it resets.

What you describe is kind of like putting a standard transmission in neutral while going down a hill. Its NOT the way the mechanism was meant to be operated, and can be dangerous. If you play stupid games, you get painful results.
Old September 22, 2017, 06:06 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

I'd steer clear of the TC single shots unless you want to mess around with oddball calibers that aren't readily available in factory rifles without paying big bucks for custom rifles.

Or you want a gun like you see in a movie as a novelty.
Old September 22, 2017, 06:25 PM   #29
Pahoo

Take care not to like them

Quote:
Are they worth it?
I guess it comes down to a matter of personal preference. They Contenders are great shooter and have never regretted buying mine. With my .223, I have taken Coyotes and an Alabama Bobcat. With my 30/30, I have taken a bunch of deer. Personally don't care for the G-2's. ......

They are accurate and fun to shoot. Might not be you cup of tee so try one before you buy. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 22, 2017, 08:22 PM   #30
Steve in PA

Oddball calibers? You mean like .22lr, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .30/30, .45-70, .223, etc? And those are just in Contenders. Encore has even more.

Yeah, you can get some wild calibers if you want, but you can get plenty of plain Jane, readily available calibers.
Old September 22, 2017, 09:38 PM   #31
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
I'd steer clear of the TC single shots unless you want to mess around with oddball calibers that aren't readily available in factory rifles without paying big bucks for custom rifles.

Or you want a gun like you see in a movie as a novelty.
I couldn't disagree more.

The TC Contenders and Encores are a high quality, accurate pistol that are great choices for pistol hunting season or for going from a larger caliber for deer down to smaller calibers for varmint and pest control to .22 for small game.

It's pricey, but I don't think somebody can go wrong buying a TC Encore or Contender.
Old September 22, 2017, 10:02 PM   #32
muzzleblast...

My brother has a TC with a barrel full of barrels, up to .45-70. He loves the thing and has destroyed several pistol scopes due to recoil. I found it neat and interesting, but, not enough to acquire one.
Old September 22, 2017, 10:10 PM   #33
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You do understand this is the handgun forum, and we are talking about Thompson Center Contender handguns, not custom, single shot rifles. In the 27 posts prescreening yours, and the posts after yours, nobody mentioned rifles. Just the rifle chamberings that Contenders, and Encores can be chambered in with handgun barrels from 8" to 15"
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; September 23, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old September 22, 2017, 10:20 PM   #34
briandg

The contender was also used by the smoking man during an x files episode, he was thinking about assassinating the lone gunmen.
Old September 23, 2017, 10:41 PM   #35
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
It's pricey, but I don't think somebody can go wrong buying a TC Encore or Contender.
Except that they are pricey. For a lot of people that is going wrong.

Quote:
You do understand this is the handgun forum, and we are talking about Thompson Center Contender handguns, not custom, single shot rifles. In the 27 posts prescreening yours, and the posts after yours, nobody mentioned rifles. Just the rifle chamberings that Contenders, and Encores can be chambered in with handgun barrels from 8" to 15"
To a large extent my statement holds true with pistols. Anencore is a whole lot cheaper than a custom cylinder, but I am not at all convinced it is any better deal in the cases where a factory pistol is available. That is true for barrel length also. You can buy a drop-in custom barrel cheaper than a custom gun whether we are talking pistol or rifle. Otherwise the Encore will prove "pricey" in my experience.

Quote:
Oddball calibers? You mean like .22lr, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .30/30, .45-70, .223, etc? And those are just in Contenders. Encore has even more.
It isn't that they aren't available, it is that it doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't buy any of those factory barrels for an Encore excepting possibly a super long pistol barrel. There are 30/30 pistols available. I've done 45/70 from a long pistol Encore and it was stupid even with the heavier Encore. Lots of other options for the other cartridges.
You guys can keep them.
If Henry releases a 357 mag single shot rifle I can have reamed to 357 max my Encore "pistol" will be going to a good home ASAP.

How many fore-end sizes and hole patterns are there again?

Have any of you called S&W CS about a TC product since they bought TC? Very frustrating for me.
Old September 24, 2017, 12:47 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Quote:
To a large extent my statement holds true with pistols. Anencore is a whole lot cheaper than a custom cylinder, but I am not at all convinced it is any better deal in the cases where a factory pistol is available. That is true for barrel length also. You can buy a drop-in custom barrel cheaper than a custom gun whether we are talking pistol or rifle. Otherwise the Encore will prove "pricey" in my experience.
Makes even less sense than your first comment. No "custom" barrels, just off the shelf in many chamberings to suite your interest. Many on the web at prices from $150-$200, or more if you want. Expensive? Hardley when I can have a whole new gun by changing a +-$200 barrel.
OK, my 'Tender was a bargain. SS G2 35 Remington Super 14, ported barrel, 2-7 Burris scope, and additional 14" 22LR Match barrel. All in a Hoyt soft case for $250. Add to that those barrels that I have paid around two hundred bucks each for, and a couple scopes I know have a "variety pack" of handguns in 22LR, 22 Hornet, 223, 7-30 Waters, 30. harrett, 357 Harrett, 35 Remington, and 45-70. All very accurate, and a whole bunch of fun shooting.
Old September 24, 2017, 06:17 PM   #37
44caliberkid

Back in the early 90's I found myself with a Contender Super 14 in 44 Mag. Because I had a Mini 14 come and go, I had a bunch of 223 ammo and reloading dies, so I got a Super 14 barrel in 223. I made a small batch of carefully crafted loads and with a 2X Burris handgun scope, it would group sub 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.
At a gun show I found a 10 inch 357 Herrett barrel with brass and dies. If you don't know, the 357 Herrett is a 30-30 case, slightly shortened, and necked up to .358. I loaded some close to max charge, 158 gran SP's and went to the range. I always thought I was impervious to recoil, but ten rounds of that cartridge was about 5 too many. I felt like someone kicked my ass. The barrel, brass and dies became trade goods.
Later the Contender and barrels ended up getting traded for something I wanted more. But I really enjoyed that gun and would have another one but the prices of even used Contenders are pretty sky high around here. Another, "Dang, I shoulda kept that one." situation.
Old September 24, 2017, 06:22 PM   #38
Grizz12

I have an older contender in .223 bull barrel (dont remember the length) and its the best shooter I've ever had in any caliber, I love it
Old September 24, 2017, 09:43 PM   #39
johnwilliamson062

It looks like eabco has barrels at $309.
Maybe you bought your $200 barrels in 1995. Maybe you bought them used. The tc barrels aren't available regularly for $200 now.
A NIB one is t going to be had for $250 either. Closer to triple that. The used frames alone generally go for more than $250.
Actually, I decided to look it up on buds. Contender with barrel $615 and a frame is $370.
From what I have seen a bit more locally.

But sure, if anyone runs into a full gun for $250 I recommend they buy it. I usually see used frames for that much or more.
The factory pistol barrels have sights(mediocre). The rifle barrels don't. Since the pistols can be converted that is relevant info.

Oversized hinge pins, hammer extension, a couple different forearms, rimfire adapter. No deals here.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; September 24, 2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old September 24, 2017, 10:36 PM   #40
johnwilliamson062

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/
Best source of info on the TC singles. Specialty pistols also had some good info.
http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums
Old September 25, 2017, 12:20 AM   #41
Cheapshooter

Yes, I have bought my barrels used. Nothing in the world wrong with that. Several of my scopes used on my Contender were used as well. Again, all have been perfect. So making a blanket statement to "stay clear" is blatantly false.
Only if someone just wants a 'Tender because he sees one in a movie, only wants the one caliber they find, and doesn't realise the true potential they have is only reached if you handload then it may be less than a wise choice.
I think the guy that owns the LGS where I bought mine just a few years ago said it best. When his employees asked why he priced it so low his fans er was "I want to see if there are any real gun people coming into my store". He got the Contender in a deal with several other guns, made a good profit overall, and just wanted to see who would buy it.
Old September 25, 2017, 01:07 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
but I am not at all convinced it is any better deal in the cases where a factory pistol is available.
Quote:

It isn't that they aren't available, it is that it doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't buy any of those factory barrels for an Encore excepting possibly
a super long pistol barrel.

I think I understand you point, and that's fine for you, for me, one of the big "selling points" of the Contender is that you can get barrels in common calibers.

What I mean is, while I do have "factory pistols" in many calibers, the Contender gives me another platform to use that shoots the same ammo, just by buying a barrel.

My first Contender was a .45 Colt/.410 (and ALL my Contender stuff was bought used). I had a .410 shotgun, and a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. Another gun, that used ammo I already had. Yay!

Then I set out to get a barrel for everything that I already had, that would fit the Contender, and I wound up with .22LR, .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .223 Rem, .30-30 Win, 9mm Luger, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt (only) .45 Win Mag, and .45-70.

I'm a fan of modern guns that give me a nostalgia feel. Ruger No.1 & No.3 Single shots, Blackhawks and T/C Contenders. There is just something 19th century about loading one single round, and making one precisely aimed shot, at a time.

If you don't get that, in part, anyway, you probably won't much like the Contender. The world is overflowing with repeaters, and the obsession with firepower, expressed as capacity. And that's fine, too. There are applications where the Contender is absolutely the wrong choice for the job.

But, in those cases where its not the wrong choice, its tough to find a better choice than the Contender. And that's because of their excellent triggers and extremely accurate barrels.
Old September 25, 2017, 01:19 AM   #43
Nathan

I have one in 375 JDJ. I have taken deer with mine. Great pistol!

If I were to do it again, I would spend more time with calibers like 30-30, 6mm TCU, 6.5 JDJ and 225 win.

Actually, I'll have one of those in a 15" in the next couple years.
Old September 25, 2017, 08:45 PM   #44
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Yes, I have bought my barrels used. Nothing in the world wrong with that.
Fine, but if you are going to talk used contender prices I can compare with used single caliber gun prices. And there again I can often get a dedicated firearm for a very similar price.

Quote:
just by buying a barrel.
Sometimes and sort of. You will often need to buy extras for the sights/optic. Several of the factory TC barrels use front sight heights I bet 90% of shooters can't use. Like the 45/70 with a FS suitable for 400 yards. Sure, the 45/70 is a 400 yard cartridge, but I bet twice as many are using for deer inside 200 in straight wall states as are shooting paper at long range. As I previously stated, there are a number of forearms needed for different barrels and they aren't cheap. If you are only shooting pistol that will eliminate most of that issue, but converting to carbine is one of the valuable features in my book. Each forearm will also need to have sling studs installed if you want them. Yes, I installed a carry sling on my long barreled TC.

I don't see many claims of great accuracy from the other forums with regard to TC factory barrels and my experience with factory barrels has been mediocre. Some of them are just poorly designed. The 45 cal barrels used to use the same blanks. 45 colt, 454, and 460. The result is the thumper 450s and 460 rounds were all over the place b/c the twist is wrong.
I was disappointed in about half my factory barrels. The MGM barrel I have is pretty nice. @$340 NIB from Ed Kirkpatrick I would go that route for future barrels, but the whole package still isn't a steal in my book.

It is a lot like the two shopsmiths I own. A great idea. I had a lot of fun messing around with it. A fair amount of frustration about how little seemed to be true about the "just buy another barrel" pitch and the compromises of a 'do everything' platform. And, just like I have now converted to mostly stand-alone woodworking machines, I have also converted to dedicated firearms.
Old September 26, 2017, 10:07 AM   #45
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Fine, but if you are going to talk used contender prices I can compare with used single caliber gun prices.
+- $200 used rifles in excellent condition?
Making less sense with every post.
But I'll still keep looking for that $200 Ruger #1 458 Wunxhester I want.

Last edited by Cheapshooter; September 26, 2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old September 26, 2017, 11:22 AM   #46
briandg

They come with a conversion firing pin for rimfire, right?

Its fairly cheap to have a chamber reamed up to a larger, different round from an odd one, right? Find a budget .30 carbine, run to .30 herret, .22 mag to .221 or .222? .357 to .357 max? 7.62 Russian to a larger case using bullets with matching bore size?

A person might use about $2,000 getting used equipment and still get three barrels and a pair of decent sight packages, right?

New grips are numerous and reasonable? A clever guy can make his own grips out of premium wood, or find someone with a duplication machine and have blanks cut for hand finishing, or even make them by 3d printer?

Pistol, barrel, scope for the price of a used Browning?

My choice would be .17 hmr, .256 win, .357 max and a scope with interchangeable rings. Handloaded ammo and a sight in with each change and I would have three very versatile guns. Varmint, medium and large game to 1-200 yards. I could always buy three revolvers, but this would fit a single case and work with versatility.

The contender gives great versatility for a great price to make accurate hits. Sandbag shooters dream.
Old September 28, 2017, 12:06 AM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

One additional thing to consider, about your "3 gun" battery (or however many barrels you have), you are using the same grip frame for all of them.

Same grip. Same trigger. Not three different guns with possibly different trigger pulls, but the same one, every time. And, its a nice, light, crisp, and creep free trigger, if you have it adjusted correctly.

If you think that doesn't make a difference, you need to try it yourself and see.
Old September 28, 2017, 04:00 AM   #48
darkgael

Quote:
The 45 cal barrels used to use the same blanks. 45 colt, 454, and 460. The result is the thumper 450s and 460 rounds were all over the pl
.454 and .460 Contender barrels????
Old September 28, 2017, 12:52 PM   #49
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
The 45 cal barrels used to use the same blanks. 45 colt, 454, and 460. The result is the thumper 450s and 460 rounds were all over the place

.454 and .460 Contender barrels????
LOL!
Quote:
Making less sense with every post.
Old September 28, 2017, 01:33 PM   #50
briandg

44,that is always a point to consider. If I concentrate too heavily on my Smith and ignore my colt, the moves that have become instinctive with my Smith don't work with anything else.

For decades now I have never gone out without at least two handguns and used them both in every session. I've reached the point that firing my da Smith is cleaner than any others.