The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2018, 04:06 PM   #1
TruthTellers

What should I get from my list next?

This here's my list of handguns and rifles that I'm looking at getting in the next few months, I'm just having trouble which order to get them in.

Henry .327 Big Boy
I've been wanting a .32 rifle for a long time now so I can test .32 H&R Mag reloads using Trail Boss to get subsonic. I plan to use this as a versitle small game rifle with low power reloads and as a deer rifle with factory .327.

Ruger Charger .22
I plan to use a brace on this and shoot it off the shoulder. I have another .22 semi auto rifle, but I'd like one that can take magazines that hold more than 10 rounds and the 15 and 25 round Ruger mags fit the bill.

NAA Mini revolver .22Mag/.22LR combo
Just want an NAA mini revolver for deep concealment.

Ruger E/L c9s
I don't currently have a single stack 9mm. Actually, my only 9mm is a Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel. I'm not sure if I should put this above the Henry or the Charger because I plan to test those guns more than this.

What do you think I should prioritize getting first and second?

FYI, I'm hearing rumblings about Henry changing a lot of things and if that means loading gates, I would hate to buy a Henry without one only for them to reveal they're coming out with Big Boy's with a loading gate.
Old February 7, 2018, 02:06 AM   #2
TruthTellers

I think I'm going to make the NAA revolver last on the list because I don't feel I need it right now and because they'll always be available for later.

So, allow me to rephrase the question:

Should I get a Ruger LC9s/EC9s before I get a Henry Big Boy in .327?
Old February 7, 2018, 09:00 AM   #3
buck460XVR

No one here knows your real needs, priorities and wants. Asking us what you should get, is like reading tea leaves in the bottom of your cup. I myself would go to a .357 minimally if you are thinking of using the lever for deer, but that's me from my experience, my needs and my priorities.
Old February 7, 2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Kvon2

If there isn't really a need for one(something like a hunting trip coming up or something like that) I would just watch for sales/rebates and get whatever you can find for the best deal soonest
Old February 7, 2018, 08:56 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvon2 View Post
If there isn't really a need for one(something like a hunting trip coming up or something like that) I would just watch for sales/rebates and get whatever you can find for the best deal soonest
That's typically what I do and I have on my full list about 6 Ruger's and Ruger isn't known for doing rebates or sales, but the LC9's are going for $50 less than they were before the EC9s came out.

Henry I've never heard of doing rebates or sales and with how busy they are and how few .327 rifles they're making, I don't see that happening.
Old February 8, 2018, 10:55 AM   #6
JimTheTwo

I vote for the LC9. I'm seeing them on multiple websites for under 175. That would knock one off your list for very little money. I don't have one, nor have i shot one, but right now, with all the new stuff coming out in 2018, older stuff like the LC9 and older Shields or M&PCs are going VERY cheap.
Old February 8, 2018, 12:32 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
FYI, I'm hearing rumblings about Henry changing a lot of things and if that means loading gates, I would hate to buy a Henry without one only for them to reveal they're coming out with Big Boy's with a loading gate.
Henry isn't known for swiftly bringing products to market, although they generally work when released. Even if the introduce loading gates I doubt a 327 will be the first model. I would be surprised if there is a 327 w/ loading gate in the next few years. Their R&D was supposedly jammed up with 556 long ranger problems that have now been solved, so things may speed up.

I don't see the prices on handguns going up in the near future.
Old February 8, 2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Don Fischer

I've known guy's looking so hard for sales they passed up good deals! While sale's get my attention, I don't look for them.
Old February 8, 2018, 06:08 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Well, I decided on the LC9s and Charger, when to my FFL today only to find out they had a fire last week. Which sucks because I do all my transfers through them.

So now I have to find another FFL somewhere who doesn't charge me $50 a transfer and belittles me about not ordering through him.