The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 5, 2019, 04:48 AM   #1
TruthTellers

AR-10: build or buy factory?

I was looking at PSA's website recently and saw they had AR10 uppers for $300 and I've seen the lowers for around $250. So total, it would be somewhere under $600 for a built AR10 vs $800 for a S&W M&P 10, which is the best sub $1000 factory AR10 that is available.

For those who know more about AR10's than me, is the M&P 10 worth the extra 200-250 over a build?

I ask because I know what a better deal is when it relates to AR15's than the AR10.
Old August 5, 2019, 11:39 AM   #2
TrueBlue711

Since the PSA upper and lower are already assembled and both made by the same company, I wouldn't consider it a "build". It's pretty much a fully assembled gun, just sold in two pieces.

That being said, I can't say I have personal experience with either the PSA or the S&W in AR-10 style platforms. I have heard almost nothing but good things about the S&W. It's lightweight, accurate (as far as 18" pencil barrel semi-auto .308s go) and low cost. The PSA definitely wins on cost, but I don't know how much heavier/lighter it is or how accurate it is. I would read customer reviews and see what they say.

Personally, when it comes to weight of a rifle, I only really care if I'm hiking long distances with it. If it's primarily a bench gun, I wouldn't mind if it's a little heavier than the S&W. And accuracy will also depend on what you're wanting the rifle for. I wouldn't expect the PSA to shoot sub-MOA at 100, but it could be "good enough" for what you're wanting.

P.S. For $600, even I may get the PSA for high powered truck gun purpose; where I don't mind if it gets beat up. I have a SCAR 17 and, even though it's my favorite gun, I wouldn't dream of making it a dedicated truck gun to toss in the back seat hahaha

Last edited by TrueBlue711; August 5, 2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old August 6, 2019, 11:48 AM   #3
stagpanther

I've already done what truth tellers contemplated with the PSA upper and lower, mine has never had any problems though someone on another thread is going through sturm und drang with his. With a reddot it's definitely a tolerable carry weight.
Old August 6, 2019, 12:43 PM   #4
TrueBlue711

Dang, as of right now (8-6-19 @ 1340 EST) on PSA, you can get built upper with lower parts for $400 and then a stripped lower for $80: so an AR-10 for $480....I'm amazed. I don't know how you can get an AR-10 for that cheap. No complaints though. This may be a ask for forgiveness instead of asking for permission situation with my wife lol
Old August 6, 2019, 02:09 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Dang, as of right now (8-6-19 @ 1340 EST) on PSA, you can get built upper with lower parts for $400 and then a stripped lower for $80: so an AR-10 for $480....I'm amazed. I don't know how you can get an AR-10 for that cheap. No complaints though. This may be a ask for forgiveness instead of asking for permission situation with my wife lol
My completed upper and lower--which came with the nice EPT trigger--was under $500
Old August 7, 2019, 11:00 AM   #6
ed308

I've seen increase in problems with PSA's AR10 lately on this and other forums. Hopefully just a few that were missed in inspection. With that said, I've never experienced a problem with any PSA uppers or lowers that I've purchased. But never purchased their cheap line like the Freedom stuff either. Usually went with the FN barrels and etc.
Old August 7, 2019, 12:39 PM   #7
TrueBlue711

Quote:
I've seen increase in problems with PSA's AR10 lately on this and other forums.
Same here. I know PSA is lacking on quality control but, for the price, I'd be willing to risk it. If I do get a lemon, I can work with them to get it replaced or fixed.
Old August 8, 2019, 01:50 AM   #8
veprdude

I've been thinking about getting a PSA AR10 too. What worries me is that apparently the platform is pressure and/or ammo sensitive. The price isn't the issue. It's the fact that I wouldn't regularly take even a "free" gun to the range that has jamming issues. Just not worth the hassle.

But for $500 is it worth risking a paperweight?

Sink $1000 into a "quality" AR10 and then it's right there with my M1As- Deadnuts reliable without a real scope option. No reason to replace that.

I guess what I want is a 308 platform I can blast cheap Wolf Steel Case ammo through and not worry about it how I like do with my AK47/74s.

Beggars can't be choosers I guess...
Old August 8, 2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Old 454

Springfield has there new AR10 308 .. Ssint Victor.... looks pretty nice.

I have heard building your own AR10 can be a gamble.

I would buy one from reputable company. Anything goes south on it you can send it back to them
Old August 8, 2019, 10:02 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
I guess what I want is a 308 platform I can blast cheap Wolf Steel Case ammo through and not worry about it how I like do with my AK47/74s.
I've blasted hundreds of the cheap ruskie stuff through my PA10 budget receivers--no malfunctions other than the occasional dead primer, which is a standard occurrence in all the bulk-grade ruskie stuff I've used.
Old August 8, 2019, 12:03 PM   #11
BWM

Look at pound shops and gun stores for a used one There are some out there !!
Old August 8, 2019, 05:24 PM   #12
Jsnake711

I have one in 18" stainless. Some times I wish I'd have bought the S&W, or the SAINT AR. I could barely get it to shoot 3" groups with factory Federal GMM 168gr loads. And thats after a hundred round break in period. ALso with Hornady superformance SST 165gr factory loads it gave me 1.2" groups at 100yds. Thats with the stainless barrel, I think the steel nitride barrel gets a little larger groups.

An online friend said the PSA receivers make a good build set. So if you plan on a build your probably gonna get a good rifle.
Old August 8, 2019, 09:36 PM   #13
youngridge

I really want a 308 semi auto just to have a 308 lol. I was thinking the AR platform but the more and more I look I am more and more intrigued by the PTR 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk