The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 2, 2019, 04:34 PM   #1
rebs

rifle case ?

To take my rifle back and forth to the range only no shipping or airlines. Which do you guys prefer soft or hard case ? Has to be large enough for a Tikka T3x with a vortex viper 6-24x50 scope with tall target turrets.
Old June 2, 2019, 05:15 PM   #2
cw308

rebs
You spent good money on your rifle and setup , A hard case would for sure protect it or if your going with a soft case get best you can afford . I'm sure your very careful with your shooter so anyway you go would be fine . The guys I shoot with and they have high end guns , I would say 50/50 on cases . My hard case is nothing fancy , only for one rifle , the soft cases I see are really nice , compartments , plenty of protection. Hope I helped in some way .

Chris
Old June 2, 2019, 05:23 PM   #3
rebs

Thanks Chris, I just don't really want a real heavy case, my rifle with scope is heavy enough for my 72 yo body to carry. LOL Plus both rotor cuff torn and a not so good back. I did see a soft case in Cabelas that had plenty of padding and looked well made for $69.00. Is that on the cheap side for a decent case ? I also looked at the Plano hard cases, any opinion on them ?
Old June 2, 2019, 05:31 PM   #4
FITASC

Short trip to the range? Soft case should be fine; long multi-day or airline trip? Hard case along the lines of an Americase
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 2, 2019, 07:06 PM   #5
std7mag

My recommendation would be the Plano Vertical rifle case.
Instead of laying on it's side, it rests on the bottom of the rifle (shooting position i guess you would call it).
Straps secure it in the case.
Large enough for my Mauser with 24" barrel wearing Sightron STAC 4-12X50 scope.
Note, turrets very tall on the STAC.
Amazon has them for $49.
LGS for $69.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 2, 2019, 07:36 PM   #6
jmr40

I have a couple of "nice" hard cases that I put my guns in for longer hunting trips. But when I go to the range may take 6-8 rifles. I can't afford that many high end cases. A local salvage store had some cheapies a few years ago for about $5 each. I bought 6 of them to carry guns to the range.

Winston Churchill
Old June 2, 2019, 10:06 PM   #7
rebs

How heavy or bulky is the Plano Vertical case ? I found a soft side on Cabelas website for 59.00 and 69.00 that both look very well made. I am going to check them out in person. I am thinking a soft side would be a little lighter than a hard case.
Old June 3, 2019, 06:03 AM   #8
jpx2rk

I've got several of these, and basically use 'em to store/keep my rifles due to storage limitations, and they provide pretty good protection while in transit, no damage to any yet. I even used 'em on a 3700 round trip in a truck bed, no damage.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...ped-rifle-case
Old June 3, 2019, 11:33 PM   #9
pwc

Watch Sportsmans Warehouse for sales. Plano, single rifle case was $20.
Old June 4, 2019, 01:59 AM   #10
std7mag

Length wise, same as almost any other case. Width about 2/3rds of a lay down case.
It is obviously taller..

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...